What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020: NRL 360

Dibs

Bench
Interesting comment from Kent

Reckons Cronulla have systematically rorted the cap more so than clubs that got heavily punished for it
He nearly choked saying it but he said it was way worse than parra’s rorting

84 Baby

Referee
Seriously, they need to be looking at the cap and its issues far more than worrying about a 10 team comp.
They keep trying to force the square peg in the round hole and are then surprised that clubs lie about using the same shape peg

Gronk

Staff member
Interesting comment from Kent

Reckons Cronulla have systematically rorted the cap more so than clubs that got heavily punished for it
I’m a bit pissed about this. The Sharks Board set up a fake company and passed it off as a non club aligned entity for TPAs. They used this method 2013 onwards - including 2016. He then said that bc the 2016 GF team that “took the field” was cap compliant, they don’t lose their premiership.

The “cooperation” discount was bc they self reported. In actual fact they self reported a separate issue of $50k and then the NRL discovered the company rort.

Wet lettuce punishment IMO.

amitropo

Juniors
I’m a bit pissed about this. The Sharks Board set up a fake company and passed it off as a non club aligned entity for TPAs. They used this method 2013 onwards - including 2016. He then said that bc the 2016 GF team that “took the field” was cap compliant, they don’t lose their premiership.

The “cooperation” discount was bc they self reported. In actual fact they self reported a separate issue of $50k and then the NRL discovered the company rort.

Wet lettuce punishment IMO.
Didn’t we become cap compliant after realeasing peats and Paulo and lost our points or were points lost first?
As much as I hate the previous board I would be suing NRL for inconsistency

Gronk

Staff member
Didn’t we become cap compliant after realeasing peats and Paulo and lost our points or were points lost first?
As much as I hate the previous board I would be suing NRL for inconsistency

We lost points for the games we had won in 2016. We copped a massive fine.

We did not recieve a cap penalty for two years however. Sharks have had their cap clipped by $350k x 2 years.

I think that our punishment was fair. I just don’t see how they can rort the cap in the years they win the comp and nothing happens. Clearly it has everything to do with the Sharks current financial position and that the 2016 premiership was their first.

hindy111

Post Whore
Warriors also rorted the cap didnt they many years ago and let off lightly.

The taking of points from us was silly. No team losing 12 or 14 points are playing finals. It just made opposition fans upset and able to say Parra got off lightly and should of been kicked out for the year. Effectively we where. It just gave to young and naive fans a team to keep following for the next 10 games.

We lost 2 star players.
Dogs re negotiated contracts and they stayed together.
Storm in the 2009 GF had by memory around 13 rep level guys in squad. I recall 2 bench players where playing in the NZ team.

People call the Roosters out.
Cordner,crighton,teddy,latrell,Cronk sure are great players.

You then have JWH, KEARY who quality. But the rest of the squad is just full of average players no better then what every other nrl team has.

Id say 5 mill spent on those 7 guys.
3 mills spent on the other 10 starters which is 300k on average each.
And 120k average on the other 17.

This isnt including TPA. Id say they have 750k worth there. There depth after top 17 is no names.

Sure they did sign Crighton,Morris,Hall but did lose Fergo, Nappa,Matterson.

I don't think they are stronger.

84 Baby

Referee
I think it’s obvious we got penalised for trying to steal the Sharks premiership. We should have waited and just cheated the f**k out of 2017. NRL would have been fine with that

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We should have been penalised more for being so f**king dumb. I would have been OK with a few public floggings.

Recording meetings where we admit to cheating? That will go down as one of the stupidest acts ever committed by a sporting administration.

T.S Quint

Coach
We lost points for the games we had won in 2016. We copped a massive fine.

We did not recieve a cap penalty for two years however. Sharks have had their cap clipped by $350k x 2 years.

I think that our punishment was fair. I just don’t see how they can rort the cap in the years they win the comp and nothing happens. Clearly it has everything to do with the Sharks current financial position and that the 2016 premiership was their first.

I think we deserved our punishment.
I also think that the Sharks (and Manly too) have gotten off lightly in comparison.
The NRL doesn’t want to have another ‘asterisk’ year and so has to allow the Sharks to keep their premiership. It would a be a public relations disaster for them to lose their first and only premiership, and for the NRL to have yet another year stricken from the record books.

There have now been 7 clubs out of 16 found to have been cheating the salary cap enough to warrant significant punishments. Three of those have been since 2016 after we were done and Greenberg said that he was positive that there were no other clubs cheating the cap. When will the NRL admit that there needs to be a new system?

T.S Quint

Coach
We should have been penalised more for being so f**king dumb. I would have been OK with a few public floggings.

Recording meetings where we admit to cheating? That will go down as one of the stupidest acts ever committed by a sporting administration.

Yep, it was such a Parramatta thing to do.

Gronk

Staff member
I think we deserved our punishment.
I also think that the Sharks (and Manly too) have gotten off lightly in comparison.
The NRL doesn’t want to have another ‘asterisk’ year and so has to allow the Sharks to keep their premiership. It would a be a public relations disaster for them to lose their first and only premiership, and for the NRL to have yet another year stricken from the record books.

There have now been 7 clubs out of 16 found to have been cheating the salary cap enough to warrant significant punishments. Three of those have been since 2016 after we were done and Greenberg said that he was positive that there were no other clubs cheating the cap. When will the NRL admit that there needs to be a new system?
We can throw in the Broncos situation when Andrew Gee suddenly resigned from the club and then refused to cooperate with the NRL. IIRC Bob Fulton the same ?

Gronk

Staff member

I think what it highlights actually is that most of the rorts are not discovered in the day to day audits of the salary cap.

The elephant in the room are TPAs. We got caught in 2016. It's now 2019 and there are no plans to cull or adapt the TPA process. What are they scared of ?

T.S Quint

Coach
We can throw in the Broncos situation when Andrew Gee suddenly resigned from the club and then refused to cooperate with the NRL. IIRC Bob Fulton the same ?

Yeah it’s all very dodgy no matter what way you look at it.

I also recall the Cowboys being ‘investigated’ over some houses built for their players at a severely reduced cost. That investigation lasted a matter of hours if I’m not mistaken...as if the NRL didn’t want to find anything there.
It seems that doing comprehensive audits and seizing computers and files is the only way to catch the cheats. I don’t understand why the NRL doesn’t go into every club right now and go through their stuff.
Actually I do understand why...because they know what they are going to find and it will make them look incompetent for having it all go on under their noses.

Remember, the NRL on numerous occasions said that the Eels were fine and there was no problem with our cap situation...until an insider told them where to look.