What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Draw

Knight Vision

First Grade
Interview with the company that makes the draw. If you read the whole thing it's easy to understand why the draw is such a pain to get right: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/27/unbelievable-complexity-behind-the-nrl-draw/
The draw may be difficult for optimal planning solutions but brief from the NRL is quite a simple one. Broncos to receive as many 7 day turn arounds as possible and as many friday night games as possible and arrange all the other clubs schedules around that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The draw may be difficult for optimal planning solutions but brief from the NRL is quite a simple one. Broncos to receive as many 7 day turn arounds as possible and as many friday night games as possible and arrange all the other clubs schedules around that.
Which isn't actually what happens. But cool story.

applesauce

Bench

Obviously hasn't looked that the 2019 draw...

King hit

Coach
Extremely disappointed that there isn’t going to be as many regional games than last year. The games in Toowoomba and Gladstone were great successes as well as the Tamworth one. If I was running RL in Australia every club would have to move 1 game to a regional centre.

M2D2

Bench
Extremely disappointed that there isn’t going to be as many regional games than last year. The games in Toowoomba and Gladstone were great successes as well as the Tamworth one. If I was running RL in Australia every club would have to move 1 game to a regional centre.
Thank god you arent.

Timmah

Staff member
That's an utter ludicrous idea when you consider some places are already regional or NRL outposts and get only a set number of chances to realistically attend each year (namely Cowboys for example).

It should remain how it is now IMO, up to clubs. It's on governments - local and state - to lobby clubs to take home games to their location if they want footy.

Timmah

Staff member
Random info - not really worth a new thread, but here's the training return dates according to Fox (LINK)

November 1 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Eels, Warriors
November 5 - Titans, Sea Eagles, Knights, Cowboys, Dragons
November 12 - Panthers, Rabbitohs,
November 15 - Storm, Wests Tigers
"Mid-November" - Roosters
November 24 - Broncos
November 26 - Sharks

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yeh playing games in local paddocks in front of 6000 people is exactly where a billion $ sport needs to be aiming lol

greenBV4

Bench
RE regional games

I saw on facebook the fixture for the AFLs "JLT community series", how I understood it is its a 2 week pre-season series of games played at regional and suburban/heritage fields (correct me if I'm wrong)

If so I think something like that would be perfect for us as well, most clubs seem to do it anyway (Storm have a preseason game in Geelong against Warriors next year), but if the NRL got involved it could create a fixture around it and get some more games out to the country

Timmah

Staff member
RE regional games

I saw on facebook the fixture for the AFLs "JLT community series", how I understood it is its a 2 week pre-season series of games played at regional and suburban/heritage fields (correct me if I'm wrong)

If so I think something like that would be perfect for us as well, most clubs seem to do it anyway (Storm have a preseason game in Geelong against Warriors next year), but if the NRL got involved it could create a fixture around it and get some more games out to the country
The clubs have always been hesitant to have the pre-season formalised in the NRL, it's essentially then left up to clubs to do what they want.

AFL's used to be an actual tournament but it's been progressively paired back to now just two weekends - presumably to make room for the AFLX thing they're insisting on doing.

I'm happy with the NRL pre-season the way it is although clubs should be banned from playing both fixtures at home ala Penrith. If you're playing one at home the other has to be at a location that doesn't get week-to-week footy.

The Marshall

Juniors
The Bega Valley Shire Council has passed a motion to provide up to $7000 of in-kind support for an NRL exhibition match in Bega next year.

However, resistance to the support from councillors Sharon Tapscott and Jo Dodds has raised a few eyebrows.

The Canberra Raiders will take on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at the Bega Recreation Ground in February, but Crs Tapscott and Dodds voted against the motion to provide support for the game.

“I have a problem with inviting people here with less than exemplary public profiles. We need to send a message that enough is enough. Men’s teams need to be worth looking up to and worth our money,” Cr Tapscott said.

Cr Dodds also voiced disapproval for providing support on a moral basis.

“I find it quite odd I'm not allowed to speak on anything other than the money. It goes to much more than the money being spent on the game,” Cr Dodds said.

“They've not proved themselves to be good community leaders or standard bearers.”

Meanwhile, on the other foot, council has been in talks with the Canberra Raiders investing in the Bega ground in return of local support for their proposed Centre of Excellence.

The Raiders-Bulldogs game, scheduled for February 23, could see an influx of between 5000 and 8000 league supporters from within and many from outside the shire. More than 6000 attended the 2011 NRL exhibition match between Canberra and the Melbourne Storm.

While the two councillors morally object to the current state of the players in the game, the benefits the community could stand to gain from such a fixture are clear – as are the potential pathways and promotion the spectacle provides for upcoming footballers.

Cr Russell Fitzpatrick said it well.

“To my knowledge there are eight kids playing first grade NRL in Group 16 who I coached, but here we are about to demonise a code. We set who we want to be our role models,” he said.

Opinions abound over the negative public attention the NRL at times attracts, but arguments could be made about all the good that can come of the national code, too.

Johnathan Thurston donated his 300-game boots to auction for the Mayoral fund for the Tathra bushfire, raising about $37,000. To the BDN’s knowledge, no objections were raised about this donation and its origin.

Cr Mitch Nadin said there would be palpable benefits from the visit with both clubs opting in to community wellbeing workshops alongside the obvious financial gains for the local Group 16 rugby league body.

“There are enormous community benefits,” he said. “Our local shops, our economy, our profile is raised, kids become more athletic, and it helps bond our community through a large social and cultural event – there is no downside!”

https://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com...for-bega-but-not-everyones-impressed/?cs=1603

I don't think this type of attitude really helps with bringing games to the bush.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im sure theyd be happy to host a visit by Prince Harry despite the shenanigans he got up to in his youth!

Pre season is the perfect time that clubs should be taking games to regional areas and the NRL should be supporting it as part of its mandate to grow interest in the game and ensure the game stays strong in the bush. I'd mandate clubs had to play two pre season games in regional towns every year. Up to them when and where.

Timmah

Staff member
The Bega Valley Shire Council has passed a motion to provide up to $7000 of in-kind support for an NRL exhibition match in Bega next year.

However, resistance to the support from councillors Sharon Tapscott and Jo Dodds has raised a few eyebrows.

The Canberra Raiders will take on the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at the Bega Recreation Ground in February, but Crs Tapscott and Dodds voted against the motion to provide support for the game.

“I have a problem with inviting people here with less than exemplary public profiles. We need to send a message that enough is enough. Men’s teams need to be worth looking up to and worth our money,” Cr Tapscott said.

Cr Dodds also voiced disapproval for providing support on a moral basis.

“I find it quite odd I'm not allowed to speak on anything other than the money. It goes to much more than the money being spent on the game,” Cr Dodds said.

“They've not proved themselves to be good community leaders or standard bearers.”

Meanwhile, on the other foot, council has been in talks with the Canberra Raiders investing in the Bega ground in return of local support for their proposed Centre of Excellence.

The Raiders-Bulldogs game, scheduled for February 23, could see an influx of between 5000 and 8000 league supporters from within and many from outside the shire. More than 6000 attended the 2011 NRL exhibition match between Canberra and the Melbourne Storm.

While the two councillors morally object to the current state of the players in the game, the benefits the community could stand to gain from such a fixture are clear – as are the potential pathways and promotion the spectacle provides for upcoming footballers.

Cr Russell Fitzpatrick said it well.

“To my knowledge there are eight kids playing first grade NRL in Group 16 who I coached, but here we are about to demonise a code. We set who we want to be our role models,” he said.

Opinions abound over the negative public attention the NRL at times attracts, but arguments could be made about all the good that can come of the national code, too.

Johnathan Thurston donated his 300-game boots to auction for the Mayoral fund for the Tathra bushfire, raising about $37,000. To the BDN’s knowledge, no objections were raised about this donation and its origin.

Cr Mitch Nadin said there would be palpable benefits from the visit with both clubs opting in to community wellbeing workshops alongside the obvious financial gains for the local Group 16 rugby league body.

“There are enormous community benefits,” he said. “Our local shops, our economy, our profile is raised, kids become more athletic, and it helps bond our community through a large social and cultural event – there is no downside!”

https://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com...for-bega-but-not-everyones-impressed/?cs=1603

I don't think this type of attitude really helps with bringing games to the bush.
That's from a month or two back isn't it? Good to hear another councillor stood up against the backwards rubbish being spouted though.

The Marshall

Juniors
That's from a month or two back isn't it? Good to hear another councillor stood up against the backwards rubbish being spouted though.
The article is a few months old and although it’s probably a isolated case it does show it’s not that easy to just take games to the bush as many think.

Timmah

Staff member
The article is a few months old and although it’s probably a isolated case it does show it’s not that easy to just take games to the bush as many think.
I agree there's a fundamental misunderstanding and fans often think it's as simple as a club saying "we're gonna play in Location X" - there's far more that needs to be worked out, as you suggest local govts etc for a start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree there's a fundamental misunderstanding and fans often think it's as simple as a club saying "we're gonna play in Location X" - there's far more that needs to be worked out, as you suggest local govts etc for a start.

LGA's are only a factor if you want money from them to play there.