What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NRL Squad

Wittenberg

Juniors
Don't close the door on the Lomax for fullback idea. Over the next off-season Lomax will gain full fitness and I'm of the opinion he will match it with Dufty speed wise. His agility will be second to none in the team. Just remember he came into first grade while still not 100% fit after injury. He was selected over Herbert and Aitken and did a fine job. I just hope the Club holds onto Herbert.
I keep getting told by a brother of one of Parramatta's trainers that Herbert is gone. I hope not, I believe he has real talent. Supposedly the Eels tried to sign him but they were told he had committed himself to another club and that it wasn't STGI. I hope it is wrong because I was dreaming of seeing Herbert and Lomax playing next to each other in the years ahead.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Don't close the door on the Lomax for fullback idea. Over the next off-season Lomax will gain full fitness and I'm of the opinion he will match it with Dufty speed wise. His agility will be second to none in the team. Just remember he came into first grade while still not 100% fit after injury. He was selected over Herbert and Aitken and did a fine job. I just hope the Club holds onto Herbert.

I’ve seen Lomax in the clear, and his alleged speed is in the Graeme Bradley mould,

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mann is incredibly strong for his build and is elusive. He is not a Fb and I don't think he is a 5/8. To me he should be in the centres with Lomax. That is where Bellamy played him and he would give our backline a little more potency. Host in our 17 ? ....meh. For all the hype in years gone by he has delivered little. Yes injuries have played their part as has Mary's reluctance to bring up new blood (except for injuries). I think Host's chance to make a real impact has gone. This might be a little harsh, and I hope I am proved wrong by him next year, but to me he brings less to our 17 than Latimore does.

Wittenberg
You are spot on re mann.
He is a centre and sould be used as that.
Mary thinks he can play anywhere.
Thats where melbourne played him as a centre.
Re host agree had a poor season but with injuries and getting picked and not playing did not help.
He needs to play week in week out.
I would give him till the end of next year before letting him go.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I keep getting told by a brother of one of Parramatta's trainers that Herbert is gone. I hope not, I believe he has real talent. Supposedly the Eels tried to sign him but they were told he had committed himself to another club and that it wasn't STGI. I hope it is wrong because I was dreaming of seeing Herbert and Lomax playing next to each other in the years ahead.

Mate its the warriors .
I agree hope he stays but not likely.
Also one other club interested

since77

Juniors
I’ve seen Lomax in the clear, and his alleged speed is in the Graeme Bradley mould,

Speed isn't the number one issue for a centre. Its agility, ability to beat a defender or break a tackle. Following that, ability to set up support players. Lomax has shown all of that that in spades in 3 games. 2 try assists already . Lots of footy smarts. Then again, I suppose Brad Fittler (who started put as a centre) might not be as good a judge as you.....

SEAT 1A

Bench
1. Dufty
2. MacDonald/Lomax
3. Aitken/Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Periera

6. Widdop
7. Hunt

8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizzell
12. T. Sims
13. JDB

14. Lielua
15. K. Sims
16. Lawrie/Latimore
17. Mann

I'm not throwing Aitken in the scrap heap just yet purely due to him being touted for SOO. Lomax didn't let anyone down however, it was only two games so, let the trials decide.

If Nene is going to Nth Qld, Lomax on the wing.

My head was spinning when I saw Mann in the middle however, has found his position.

EDIT. Forgot to add Latimore.

Last edited:

Vinnie

Juniors
Firstly i thought Dufty had a good season and lets face it albeit still fragile his defense has improved with experience and i believe will continue to as he bulks up more and gains more experience and a very good one at that.
In saying that I'm a huge fan of Field and would never close the door on him at fullback he could be a absolute superstar !!!! Yes his defense is shaky but it can only get better with game time, (Remember not so long ago many on here calling Dufty a speed hump) I think his football knowledge and instinct so much more superior than Dufty, he has the speed, the passing game, the kicking game (The lot )
Remember the most probable superstars and golden boys in our club have always been identified as Field and Lomax !!!

But Lomax is an out and out centre and that's where he has to stay !!!! he's the next Gasnier for us and i believe the future NSW centre alongside Latrell Mitchell !

With Hunt and Widdop at the club Field will not see any time in the halves and even with injury McGregor will and rightly so always opt for Mann who has loads of experience. BUT where and when does Field get experience ????

In my opinion i see Field as another fullback that will progress to the halves (and there has been many over the years) And i really still believe that both Field and Lomax will be Special !!!!

Maybe just maybe Dufty can transform into a centre alongside Lomax ??? who knows ???

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Speed isn't the number one issue for a centre. Its agility, ability to beat a defender or break a tackle. Following that, ability to set up support players. Lomax has shown all of that that in spades in 3 games. 2 try assists already . Lots of footy smarts. Then again, I suppose Brad Fittler (who started put as a centre) might not be as good a judge as you.....

Fittler? Yeah, he was the bloke who said Eto Nabuli would be a success.

Oops.

The greats of the game aren’t always right.

possm

Coach
I think it’s fair to say SGI isn’t known for its abundant fast backs.

This situation could change for next year and under a different coach could have happened this year:
1. Dufty - speed
2. Mann / new winger - speed
3. Lomax - speed
4. Herbert - speed
5. Macdonald - speed

So our slow coaches were Nightingale, Lafai and Aitken.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
This situation could change for next year and under a different coach could have happened this year:
1. Dufty - speed
3. Lomax - speed
4. Herbert - speed
5. Macdonald - speed

Don’t agree with your assessment re: Mann or Lomax at all.

Reports also suggest Herbert and MacDonald are on the move.

Vinnie

Juniors
1. Dufty - speed
3. Lomax - speed
4. Herbert - speed
5. Macdonald - speed

Hey guys not just about speed and speed only ?? it's about skills, football brains, attack, defense etc. I know the saying "there's no substitute for speed" but it's great when you know how to use it and it compliments every other aspect of your game !!!

theinsideman

Juniors
This is a side that is exciting but never going to happen under Mary

01 Jai Field
05 Tristan Sailor
04 Steve Marsters
03 Zac Lomax
02 Nene Macdonald
06 Kurt Mann
07 Gareth Widdop
08 Jack de Belin
09 Ben Hunt
10 Paul Vaughan
12 Tariq Sims
11 Tyson Frizell
13 Cameron McInnes

14 Korbin Sims
15 James Graham
16 Luciano Leilua
17 Joe Lovodua

Forster Dragon

Juniors
This is a side that is exciting but never going to happen under Mary

01 Jai Field
05 Tristan Sailor
04 Steve Marsters
03 Zac Lomax
02 Nene Macdonald
06 Kurt Mann
07 Gareth Widdop
08 Jack de Belin
09 Ben Hunt
10 Paul Vaughan
12 Tariq Sims
11 Tyson Frizell
13 Cameron McInnes

14 Korbin Sims
15 James Graham
16 Luciano Leilua
17 Joe Lovodua
That is what I call thinking outside the square

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think the club needs to have some clarity around the Nene rumour.

As it stands he is contracted to us for 2019. No other team can start negotiations with him until November 1st. Unless:
1. He has requested a release and that has been granted.
2. The club has told him to look elsewhere and if a team is willibg to take him on.

Last I heard he was in negotiations to extend with us. Goes to show how rumours can be.

In any case the club should give the fans some clarity around these type of rumours

Drag Queen

Bench
STILL BLOWING THAT SAME TRUMPET DRAG .AT LEAST YOUR CONSISTENT
Thank you. Yes, I'm definitely consistent. Don't like it, don't comment. You still didn't answer my question which wasn't a difficult one. Which team is wanting him? PS. Have you heard about lower case? JUST CURIOUS.

Last edited: