What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 NZ Maoris vs Indigenous All Stars

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
NRL is to introduce this game for next year.

Here is a possible team list...

NRL.com listed potential men's squads:

Indigenous All Stars team
1. Greg Inglis, 2. Josh Addo-Carr, 3. Latrell Mitchell, 4. James Roberts, 5. Dane Gagai, 6. Cody Walker, 7. Johnathan Thurston/Ash Taylor, 8. Andrew Fifita, 9. Nathan Peats, 10. Ryan James, 11. Joel Thompson, 12. Wade Graham, 13. Jack Bird. Reserves: 14. Tyrone Peachey, 15. Sam Thaiday, 16. Adam Elliott, 17. David Fifita.

New Zealand Maori team
1. Kalyn Ponga, 2. Jordan Rapana, 3. Dylan Walker, 4. Dean Whare, 5. Valentine Holmes, 6. Corey Norman, 7. Benji Marshall, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Issac Luke, 10. Jordan McLean, 11. Tohu Harris, 12. Corey Harawira-Naera, 13. Elijah Taylor. Reserves: 14. Kodi Nikorima, 15. James Tamou, 16. Joseph Tapine, 17. Russell Packer.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...genous-rivals-in-new-nrl-season-curtainraiser

BLN2

Juniors
Finally, an exhibition match that might be worth watching. That NRL All Stars was a joke. But the timing still seems wrong, interrupt the final stages of pre season for a couple weeks for an exhibition match.. Can see clubs not supporting this, holding back guys like Holmes, Ponga, Bromwich etc.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Wouldn’t it grate the kiwis fans in potentially seeing the likes of ponga and Holmes pulling on the Maori shirt but not the kiwi shirt???

sup42

Juniors
Wouldn’t it grate the kiwis fans in potentially seeing the likes of ponga and Holmes pulling on the Maori shirt but not the kiwi shirt???
Good question.

It always grates when they chose Australia, but personally I have become used to it (I'm Maori so it particularly seemed off to me for these guys to chose Aussie, however that is a whole other debate, and I've come to accept that in some cases these guys genuinely identify with Australia as their homes).

James Tamou on the other hand was dubious in the least, he had represented the Maori team before he chose Australia.

There is a nice touch to seeing guys with a NZ connection reconnect with their cultural Roots, that was evident in the case of Timana Tahu playing for the Maori against England after a long Career in Aussie Rep footy.

In that vein it is always nice to see guys play for the culture side of these cultural events irrespective of what they are doing outside of this.

The games are purely about Cultural promotion and as such if they inspire some kids along the way and make people happy then why not.

The last thing I would say is when I first saw this fixture it was at Carlaw park, and there was a buz seeing an Australian indigenous side play it's first big match, there was maybe one NRL player in the whole team.

Amazing how far that has come. NZ Maori have a proud tradition in both codes and it is generally acknowledged that they play with a Maori style of play...which in of itself is worth preserving.

JJ

Immortal
Pretty strong looking Maori side that - didn't realise Dylan Walker was Maori

Disappointing thing (to me) is I think there are only two Warriors 'products' there (Packer and Taylor - without checking in detail)

Meth

Staff member

No, I don’t think so.

I can understand how somebody could identify with their Maori heritage and also with their Australian nationality

Ponga and Holmes were both born in Australia. In their case, it’s easy to see.

So long as it’s not exploited.

Matua

Bench
Isn't Corey Norman available for both teams?

Re: Ponga, I think he'd be a guy who would play for NZ if it meant he could play for QLD still.

I don't mind if Australian born and/or bred players chose Oz over NZ, but I'd rather they be able to chose SOO and NZ. - but Oz aren't ever going to let that happen. Also, it's the parents failing when a player chooses Oz. ;)

shinobi

Juniors
No, I don’t think so.

I can understand how somebody could identify with their Maori heritage and also with their Australian nationality

Ponga and Holmes were both born in Australia. In their case, it’s easy to see.

So long as it’s not exploited.

As a Maori who has grown up in Australia for 30 years i will always see NZ as my home. My teen daugther on the other hand sees herself as Maori Australian and thats the way it is for a lot of my nieces and nephews who are born and raised here. Nothing wrong with that as being Maori for me comes before nationality and as long as they know their connection to their whakapapa/whenua no way anyone will be able to take that away from them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I'm perfectly happy for someone to identify with the nation that they are from while also identifying with a culture/ethnicity they are a part of from somewhere else.

However as a Kiwis fan it sure as hell shits me when they identify with a country they aren't from over the country they are from (New f**king Zealand).

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
This is just a game for Maoris vs Aboriginees. They should take NZ out of it and just call it the Maoris. Its not the kiwis so people shouldnt confuse it with the kiwis. Its just the Maoris who play in the NRL. Thats it!

playdaball

Bench
It’ll be interesting to see who the team falls under e.g. NRL, NZRL or Maori RL: it’ll determine the teams make up - coach and selectors will be interesting too

MKEB...

Staff member
Isn't Corey Norman available for both teams?

Re: Ponga, I think he'd be a guy who would play for NZ if it meant he could play for QLD still.

I don't mind if Australian born and/or bred players chose Oz over NZ, but I'd rather they be able to chose SOO and NZ. - but Oz aren't ever going to let that happen. Also, it's the parents failing when a player chooses Oz. ;)

Hear hear