What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Origin II - Sun 23 Jun - NSW 38-6 QLD @ Perth

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
Phil Gould on the panel after the game, pontificating about how of course the Blues were going to win because Fittler's changes were all about bringing experienced players in. So Phil knew all along. Then how does he explain this article from June 15th - "As much as it pains me to say it, the Queenslanders are perfectly placed to win Origin II in Perth next Sunday, thereby winning back the shield they have held for 11 of the past 13 years."
There's hypocrisy, and then there's Phil Gould.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...ready-gone-for-the-blues-20190615-p51xzs.html

Gus loves talking after the fact

Like last week when he said he discovered John Bateman at 19 and told everyone he’d be a great NRL player. Or tonight when he told us that he’s always said Jack Wighton is a left center. I don’t know who he says these things too, cause it’s not the public, he only tells us after the fact.

Reflector

Juniors
Just got back from the pub

first of all so glad Freddy silenced the doubters with his selections. I said before the game my two biggest concerns were picking Wade Graham and Fergo- and Fergo's biggest blunder was somewhat forgivable cnnsidering it was raining sideways when he knocked on

Solid performance from the whole team, I can't think of a single play 1-17 who was poor. Qld were the worst they've performed since Game 1 2017, but NSW showed true composure in adverse conditions and made an emphatic statement tonight. Has the feel of the 2008 and 2013 series, where NSW won both openers deservedly and then Qld got their act together in the second games, showed their superiority and went on to take the series- except the roles were reversed tonight.

People might question his methods and his selections, but hopefully tonight proves that some people should put a bit more faith in Freddy even if they don't understand what he's doing initially.

And after tonight, I love that navy blue alternate jersey. They can wear it as much as they want if they keep playing like that!

Fangs

Coach

Like last week when he said he discovered John Bateman at 19 and told everyone he’d be a great NRL player. Or tonight when he told us that he’s always said Jack Wighton is a left center. I don’t know who he says these things too, cause it’s not the public, he only tells us after the fact.

To be fair he has called for Wighton at centre for years.

Not sure about the Bateman story.

Big Pete

Referee

I'm not sure about Bateman, but he was quite vocal about Wighton last year on 100% Footy.

To be fair, I don't doubt him on the Bateman story. If only because it was obvious to anyone who watched Wigan that Bateman was a cut above the rest. At 19? Considering he signed Hardaker to play on the bench, I don't think he watches that much ESL.

But yeah he does love to hedge his bets and act like he was right all along.

GongPanther

Referee
Phil Gould on the panel after the game, pontificating about how of course the Blues were going to win because Fittler's changes were all about bringing experienced players in. So Phil knew all along. Then how does he explain this article from June 15th - "As much as it pains me to say it, the Queenslanders are perfectly placed to win Origin II in Perth next Sunday, thereby winning back the shield they have held for 11 of the past 13 years."
There's hypocrisy, and then there's Phil Gould.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...ready-gone-for-the-blues-20190615-p51xzs.html

And you obviously don't know the difference between shit & clay when it comes to SOO journalism, as that mouthpiece was pure Gould brilliance. And I dare say that there wouldn't have been one NSW follower who thought as much in the back of their minds, that there was a lot of reading between those lines of his.

BadnMean

Juniors
Wighton went ok at centre. But he's been far better at 5/8 for the Raiders all year.

He's well suited to origin, well worth selection as a centre or utility but it's not his best position. He's just a good footy player.

Gould does it every year. People claim he is this great footy brain. Truth is he is a reactionary, after the fact expert who always amends his opinions to fit the current narrative. He had two speeches ready to go after fulltime. The one he didnt use was going to hammer Freddy.

Reflector

Juniors
Queensland origin hero Dane Gagai is f**ken useless when he isn't getting intercept tries

Or linking up at the end of backline passing movements and running 10 metres over the try line. Listening to the Gagai Origin love fest is like in Zoolander where everybody craps on about all of Derek's different looks, even though they're exactly the same facial expression with different backgrounds.

A Slater, Turbo or Teddy he ain't.

wibble

Bench
The blissful ignorance of the blues is lol worthy. You were gifted this game through 6 successive penalties ensuring you could build enough possession and convert it into points. Anything after the fact is redundant.

The series is nothing more than a contrived result in order to raise revenue for the next televised rights.

Let's pretend for a minute this is a serious comment from someone trying to explain how the Maroons were so outplayed and not a huge troll attempt.

They got 5 "successive" penalties, not 6.

But NSW were up by 14 points before they even over took QLD in the penalty count. They finished with 1 more penalty (and that doesn't count the "penalty" try which doesn't count as a penalty in the stats). So possession was hardly down to a lopsided penalty count.

If you talk about "successive" like it is some mystical quality, QLD got 3 "successive" penalties, NSW then got some tries and 2 "successive" ones, then there was the half time break. So if that mighty 2 in a row gave them the momentum before half time to lead 3 tries to 1, QLD should have had the momentum from 3 in a row to be up by 20.

After the break NSW got 3 in a row, true, though two were blatant off the ball incidents that had to be penalised. The only try they got in this "successive" run they scored from their own half. Then QLD got a run of a few in a row also, and surely they should have been able to even the game being "gifted" so much possession.

The most damning stat was the metres run. NSW ran nearly twice as far as QLD. Not sure how that was gifted to NSW, but if it was, you might want to look at some of those QLD players handing out those gifts.

I share your disdain for the series. It is really just about TV rights and is in my opinion, way over inflated compared to the regular NRL season. But I'd hardly say the run of QLD teams over the last decade were a contrived result for ratings. If you think they were, more power to you.