What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 R25 Sun - Panthers 54-10 Knights @ Panthers

Round 25: Panthers v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pantherz9103

First Grade
The decade began with such promise for the Knights- finalists in 2011, the Tinkler buyout in 2012. And it's ended like this.

That squad should be challenging Canberra and Manly for the positions they're in. The club needs to go back its' roots and instil in the players the same values that were ingrained within the early teams. Once upon a time, a Knights team playing like this wouldn't have been in the mood for any kind of Mad Monday celebrations, because they'd understand they'd let their fans down as well as the town. I can't shake the feeling that in a few minutes it'll be smiles and slaps on the back with the Penrith players and then talk about where they're going to get on it tonight.

The 2010's were truly a decade lost for the Knights, and if the club doesn't rectify it they might not be able to take the home support for granted much longer...

I picked the Knights pretty confidently to finish the decade on a high with a finals appearance but despite their star signings, the culture still needs changing.

Frustrating for Penrith as well. Gould helped to turn the club around when things looked pretty dismal across the grades. We won plenty of lower grade comps and made the NRL finals 5 years out of 10 (the best decade in terms of making First Grade finals for the club) with plenty of strong talent coming through..but didn't have a much of real worth to show for it. Only 1 prelim final appearance and 4 semi final apps, which isn't that bad but the expectation was the Panthers were building to be a premiership contender and that didn't happen, as a highly disappointing 2019 shows. Many talented players left he club and went on to bigger and better things at other clubs, i.e. Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis won comps at other clubs. There were also controversial sackings of coaches that made us scratch our heads and bemusing coaching appointments... The 2010's was a decade of promise and potential which Penrith couldn't quite fulfil.

Reflector

Juniors
I picked the Knights pretty confidently to finish the decade on a high with a finals appearance but despite their star signings, the culture still needs changing.

Frustrating for Penrith as well. Gould helped to turn the club around when things looked pretty dismal across the grades. We won plenty of lower grade comps and made the NRL finals 5 years out of 10 (the best decade in terms of making First Grade finals for the club) with plenty of strong talent coming through..but didn't have a much of real worth to show for it. Only 1 prelim final appearance and 4 semi final apps, which isn't that bad but the expectation was the Panthers were building to be a premiership contender and that didn't happen, as a highly disappointing 2019 shows. Many talented players left he club and went on to bigger and better things at other clubs, i.e. Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis won comps at other clubs. There were also controversial sackings of coaches that made us scratch our heads and bemusing coaching appointments... The 2010's was a decade of promise and potential which Penrith couldn't quite fulfil.

I actually see quite a few similarities between Penrith and Newcastle at the moment. They're both solid Rugby League areas with the biggest junior talent pools in the game. In that regard they are the polar opposite to Melbourne and Easts. Yet they're also the polar opposites to those clubs in terms of how they're run and their consistency- they can play great footy one week or string a bunch of wins together that has you thinking they've found the missing link and will mount a solid finals charge, but then play stupid and diabolical footy in equal amounts. For all the potential of those squads and the areas they have a presence in, they continue to underwhelm which is a real shame because if they became consistently successful it'd be a massive boost to the game and much more popular than seeing the Roosters and Storm featuring in Grand Finals every other year.

Mind you, if we want to talk about truly underachieving, there's a club up north that are the richest team in the league and have half a state to draw from, yet (barring a miracle) will have just a single Grand Final appearance to their name and no Premierships in 15 seasons at the conclusion of 2019...

*Edit* Yes, you can sign me up for their anti-members pack too. I'll take the platinum version, please. Complete with tepid 6 pack of that mid-strength they drink and empty plastic bottle for when I can't get out of the stadium quick enough...

mongoose

Coach
I never rated Nathan Brown and I'm not sure that he's left the club in a much better position than when he arrived. The roster is certainly better, although I don't think its a top 4 roster. People saying the Knights should have been pushing for top 4 this season are kidding themselves. It doesn't look like the club culture has improved under Brown though going by the last few weeks. The club needs to get it right and fast otherwise their strawberry thickshake drinking star will be looking at his options and the fans will start to give up.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I never rated Nathan Brown and I'm not sure that he's left the club in a much better position than when he arrived. The roster is certainly better, although I don't think its a top 4 roster. People saying the Knights should have been pushing for top 4 this season are kidding themselves. It doesn't look like the club culture has improved under Brown though going by the last few weeks. The club needs to get it right and fast otherwise their strawberry thickshake drinking star will be looking at his options and the fans will start to give up.

If you think the fans will give up you don’t know much about Newcastle.

nick87

Coach
I never rated Nathan Brown and I'm not sure that he's left the club in a much better position than when he arrived. The roster is certainly better, although I don't think its a top 4 roster. People saying the Knights should have been pushing for top 4 this season are kidding themselves.

It’s got me genuinely stumped why anyone would think Ponga, Klemmer and 15 other middling footballers should be a top 4 team

They performed exactly to their talent level.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The decade began with such promise for the Knights- finalists in 2011, the Tinkler buyout in 2012. And it's ended like this.

That squad should be challenging Canberra and Manly for the positions they're in. The club needs to go back its' roots and instil in the players the same values that were ingrained within the early teams. Once upon a time, a Knights team playing like this wouldn't have been in the mood for any kind of Mad Monday celebrations, because they'd understand they'd let their fans down as well as the town. I can't shake the feeling that in a few minutes it'll be smiles and slaps on the back with the Penrith players and then talk about where they're going to get on it tonight.

The 2010's were truly a decade lost for the Knights, and if the club doesn't rectify it they might not be able to take the home support for granted much longer...
That happens when you field a team of mercenaries who don't give a shit about the local area.

Latest posts