What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rd2: Parramatta v Bulldogs LIVE GAME DAY thread March 24th

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Peni breaks tackles running side ways.

And now with Manu playing in the middle, he is a better option.

Peni isn’t better then Mannah.

Glenneel

Bench
The most noticeable difference from last year is the way we start our sets off. Fergo and Sivo are such huge bodies and get us rolling nearly every single time. I know Sivo dropped it a few times at awful times, but the improvement in that area is out of sight. Fergo was seriously Semi like today, every run is 15+ metres, whenever he is on the outside he makes a break and he just dominated that side of the field.

The other impressive thing was the way we defended on our line and scrambled and the way we clawed our way back into the contest when the first 20 mins was all the Dogs. We didn't panic and had confidence in getting ourselves up the other end and taking advantage at any stage we could. We were ruthless and I cannot remember the last time I saw us put 30 unanswered points on anyone like we did. Once we got field position Brown and Moses took control got repeat sets and got us back into it.

Ferguson was phenomenal, Gutherson was back to his best and Mahoney was just as good. Hell they were all good, It was such a controlled and ruthless display from all involved. Mannah, Paulo. Lane and Niukore were all immense and ran with so much purpose. Brown again was awesome, his 3 grubbers for repeat sets showed maturity beyond his years and his footwork and execution for his try was even better.

I for one and shocked with what I am seeing from this team, full of youth and energy they are showing some grit and steel in defense, scrambling and staying calm. To see them power over the Dogs like they did today from behind was awesome, and we genuinely look like we are in every single contest all over the park.

Brilliant start from all involved, net week will be a real test of where we are at. I am still scared but bring it on!
Big difference from last year to this is their fitness imo. After absorbing set after set never did they look tired or dejected and came back to dominate the last 15 mins. Fergo is massive and Sivo needs to copy him, not enough leg drive from him as yet but he'll get better. For some reason Alvaro still looks slower and less powerful than the last few seasons. Obviously hasn't adjusted to his extra weight yet. Our edge defence still needs plenty of work, Dogs outnumbered us plenty of times but poor execution cost them more tries. Roosters won't be so clumsy. On Friday we'll need to move up quickly and cut down the Roosters playmakers thinking time, force them into errors. Look at the Souths/Roosters tape and try to copy them. Hopefully Terepo in the pack and will provide extra punch from the bench. On that I'd drop Gower for him as keep Evans as he showed some encouraging signs but still needs to be more aggressive in his running.

Gronk

Staff member
Big difference from last year to this is their fitness imo. After absorbing set after set never did they look tired or dejected and came back to dominate the last 15 mins. Fergo is massive and Sivo needs to copy him, not enough leg drive from him as yet but he'll get better. For some reason Alvaro still looks slower and less powerful than the last few seasons. Obviously hasn't adjusted to his extra weight yet. Our edge defence still needs plenty of work, Dogs outnumbered us plenty of times but poor execution cost them more tries. Roosters won't be so clumsy. On Friday we'll need to move up quickly and cut down the Roosters playmakers thinking time, force them into errors. Look at the Souths/Roosters tape and try to copy them. Hopefully Terepo in the pack and will provide extra punch from the bench. On that I'd drop Gower for him as keep Evans as he showed some encouraging signs but still needs to be more aggressive in his running.

The biggest difference between this year and last year is about 30 penalties per match in the early rounds. We didn't cope with that very well.

IFR33K

Coach
He breaks a lot of tackles because he runs sideways. How many middle forwards can you carry who are allowed to pick and choose where they play the ball? We have Paulo now. Most of them have a spot on the field they need to get to so they can set up the next play.

As for defence, his work rate isn’t high enough to be considered a great defender.

Yes he does run sideways but I’ve seen him break the line running straight. He’s effective because he has explosive speed and can run a decent line.

IFR33K

Coach
Peni breaks tackles running side ways.

And now with Manu playing in the middle, he is a better option.

Peni isn’t better then Mannah.

Mannah is consistent. Peni brings a totally different dimension to our pack and will always be a threat with the ball in hand.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The biggest difference between this year and last year is about 30 penalties per match in the early rounds. We didn't cope with that very well.
Agreed. I’m sure I’m being somewhat biased as we have been winning but I reckon the brand of footy being played across the competition has been much better to watch.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Last year for our smaller pack there was too much dead ball time with all the penalties being blown. This year we may be getting pushed around a bit more in the ruck but the ball is in play a lot more which is helping us.

hindy111

Post Whore
Because it was at the same stadium but reserve grade wasn’t.

Ok makes sense.
He breaks a lot of tackles because he runs sideways. How many middle forwards can you carry who are allowed to pick and choose where they play the ball? We have Paulo now. Most of them have a spot on the field they need to get to so they can set up the next play.

As for defence, his work rate isn’t high enough to be considered a great defender.

Averaged 102mtrs
28 tackles a game
1 missed every 28
3 tackle busts a game total of 60

Mannah had 20 tbs, Alvaro 24,

TB make a defense tired. Terepo keeps defenses alert and on toes.......

IFR33K

Coach
And Manu will bring that and better than what Peni is capable of, now that he is playing in the middle.

Ma’u is aging, he won’t improve anymore. Peni is bigger, more explosive and isn’t your ‘run of the mill’ type forward.

Bazal

Post Whore
Peni is exactly your run of the mill forward. He just fools people like Hindy in terms of how hard he allegedly runs because he accelerates quickly.

Unfortunately, 19 runs out of 20 he then gets stopped on the spot the instant he hits the defensive line. And 10 out of 20 he makes more metres across field than he does forward.

Good guy to have around as depth and he is a good defender. Likely to play over Evans of he stays with the club, but really they're on about the same level within the squad.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
selection is gonna be a bit tricky

I would have thought new merkin comes into 13, Trout goes into the centres and Taka goes to Wenty but he's been playing well

Trout is not a 13 and we were fortunate in a way that the Hoff was hooked so he fitted in without too much of a roster shake up.

I dont know if I'd change anything in the forwards either as when was the last time our pack dominated like they did in the second half yesterday ?

Homo man69

Juniors
Is it just me or does Tepai seem overrated? He came in with huge wraps as a junior. He just hasn’t fully bloomed. It’s like we are all waiting for him to have that break out year. It’s just not happening.

Gronk

Staff member
Is it just me or does Tepai seem overrated? He came in with huge wraps as a junior. He just hasn’t fully bloomed. It’s like we are all waiting for him to have that break out year. It’s just not happening.

He's a good player Homo, but if he went to Newcastle etc next year I reckon we could fill his spot with Oregan Kafausi or that Stefano Alphabet guy.

forward pass

Coach
Everyone should just relax a bit. The Bulldogs are complete shite this year - evidenced by the fact the Warriors who touched them up could not beat the Tigers yesterday. Makes the Bulldogs worse than I thought.

We are definitely a better side mentally. Attitude and discipline is better - without doubt. But lets see where we are in 3 weeks. That is when we will really gauge where we are at.

Playing the Roosters and then 2 weeks later Canberra in Canberra. I will wait for those games before i get excited. We have only won one game in Canberra in 17 years so keen to see if we are the real deal then !