What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 team line up

BennyV

Referee
This seems awfully a lot like Adam Quinlan.
I actually see Dufty as a closer comparison to Mitch Rein - has an obvious, basic skill set and shows some excitement in his first season, and a ‘highlights’ package that blinds the simpler fan base to his obvious, core weaknesses. We’ll keep him around for a few years while other teams work him out and his skills fail to develop, before finally releasing him for a better option and he’ll float off into reserve grade somewhere!!!

Guess we’ll see. He’s clearly superior to Quinlan, but that’s a low bar.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd like to see Dyaln Napa and Robert Jennings added to our squad. It seems that R Jennings is still unsigned and Napa has not yet settle on his proposed transfer to the Dogs. Signing Napa would give us that extra first grade prop we need and at the same time, stuff up the Dogs and Knights recruitment project.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/22...-to-wait-as-dylan-napa-considers-his-options/
Napa could be good for us, but his form isn't consistent enough right now, he doesn't make enough metres and I don't think he plays big minutes. You are right that he would give us the extra prop that we need, he is also an enforcer.

I would also sign Robert Jennings.

Frank Facer

First Grade
agree, its insanity to think of putting him to FB, when every man and his dog can see the potential of Dufty as a FB....us Saints fans are too hypercritical.....fact....its a good thing, but we must live in the real world too..... Fullback takes a few seasons to master, its like Prop....Not many come out and master it in thero first season, not even Slater did......Ponga did sure, but if he sticks around in league hell probably end up an immortal! so no comparing Dufter to Ponga please, we have a better all round team balance than just relying on ONe superstar thank god! usually those teams get nowhere, I think youll see young Dufty have a RIPPER 2019, learning from the mistakes of 2018, I bet hell put onj a little more weight so he doesnt get rag dolled when he takes a bomb on the full and I can see his defence ramping up also, hes not far off go easy on the lad hes a keeper!

Good post. Time will tell if Dufty is a keeper. I think then next 2 years are make or break for him.

aquiin

Juniors
BLM01
I agree re rhe shark but Moylan to fb and flanno jnr to 6.
He's a good player.

I heard he played well for Residents but thought he was terrible in the NSW under 20s, which is usually a much stronger indication of ability. I think he is being held back because he’s not ready. A long way behind Cleary for example.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I heard he played well for Residents but thought he was terrible in the NSW under 20s, which is usually a much stronger indication of ability. I think he is being held back because he’s not ready. A long way behind Cleary for example.

Agree with you he is not close to cleary but that was just one option. Otherwise they will need to buy a fb can not see duges back there nowdays.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This continued reference to us requiring a further outside back has be intrigued to say the least.
Our current signed backs are (NRL squad)
Aitken, Pearson, Periera, Mann (atm), Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai and Lomax. You could even throw in Field and Sailor here.
Add the DS players Masters and Saab.

Thats 10 in the current squad and 2 in the DS, 12 contenders, 5 positions.
Dufty seems pretty secure now as the fullback, at least for 2019.

I think this like for like deal with Mann has become more of an obsession than a real want. Yes, 100%, if a quality winger/centre was available we should be active for sure, but with the latest revelation we were targeting a swap of Mann with SKD reeks of madness rather than sensibility.

It appears that McGregor has zero confidence in any of his backline at present. Too many "rookies" that he and his lemmings will have to coach and train. The fact is proven in the persuit of Hayne and now SKD.

I will wait in earnest at our next "pearl" to be suggested as the saviour to our backline woes.

We get the rough end of the pineapple if we take SKD for Mann.

Don't understand why management doesn't simply tell Mann that he is a Saint till the end of 2019.

If Pearson, Peirera, Ravalawa, and Lomax are considered too inexperienced, why not play Mann on the wing.

Scored a bucketful of tries as a winger before.

BLM01

First Grade
This continued reference to us requiring a further outside back has be intrigued to say the least.
Our current signed backs are (NRL squad)
Aitken, Pearson, Periera, Mann (atm), Dufty, Ravalawa, Lafai and Lomax. You could even throw in Field and Sailor here.
Add the DS players Masters and Saab.

Thats 10 in the current squad and 2 in the DS, 12 contenders, 5 positions.
Dufty seems pretty secure now as the fullback, at least for 2019.

I think this like for like deal with Mann has become more of an obsession than a real want. Yes, 100%, if a quality winger/centre was available we should be active for sure, but with the latest revelation we were targeting a swap of Mann with SKD reeks of madness rather than sensibility.

It appears that McGregor has zero confidence in any of his backline at present. Too many "rookies" that he and his lemmings will have to coach and train. The fact is proven in the persuit of Hayne and now SKD.

I will wait in earnest at our next "pearl" to be suggested as the saviour to our backline woes.
Hayne may not be off our radar yet, especially if he is proven IN COURT to be NOT GUILTY in December. If found guilty of any charges then..you people know the rest.
What happened to offering the key to Wollongong to get Cotric. Maybe he would prefer to play for someone he is not getting along with in Sticky. Says a lot about our club being a desired venue, especially when the Kogarah to Wollongong regions are a great place to live.
In regards to the player swap, fancy being sold out if you were the player, told to pack your bags ypu moving out of the region or interstate when you started training with your team!
I have always said and had the opinion that come Nov 1 when your contract year starts your squads are set and no changes should be allowed until your team is no longer participating in the comp for that year..Clubs have plenty of time to do all their shuffling in Sept / October. No June 30 BS deadline.

Crush

Coach
Hayne may not be off our radar yet, especially if he is proven IN COURT to be NOT GUILTY in December. If found guilty of any charges then..you people know the rest.
What happened to offering the key to Wollongong to get Cotric. Maybe he would prefer to play for someone he is not getting along with in Sticky. Says a lot about our club being a desired venue, especially when the Kogarah to Wollongong regions are a great place to live.
In regards to the player swap, fancy being sold out if you were the player, told to pack your bags ypu moving out of the region or interstate when you started training with your team!
I have always said and had the opinion that come Nov 1 when your contract year starts your squads are set and no changes should be allowed until your team is no longer participating in the comp for that year..Clubs have plenty of time to do all their shuffling in Sept / October. No June 30 BS deadline.
Hayne may not be off our radar yet? Mate, nobody would touch that guy with a 40 foot pole after the trouble he has got himself into.
On Cotric, because he hasn't been signed by Dragons you conclude that he must prefer to play with Stuart and then have a crack at our club not being desirable?
All of this is based on what anyway? Did I miss something? Other than this forum saying we should sign Cotric I haven't seen anything suggesting thay Cotric was even looking for a release and no links to Dragons.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
@dragonssamy61, champ has Eddie Blacker joined us for pre-season training? His name is not mentioned on the website nor has there been any reference to him since his "signing".
Could you find out through your sources?
Thanks champion.

BLM01

First Grade
Hayne may not be off our radar yet? Mate, nobody would touch that guy with a 40 foot pole after the trouble he has got himself into.
On Cotric, because he hasn't been signed by Dragons you conclude that he must prefer to play with Stuart and then have a crack at our club not being desirable?
All of this is based on what anyway? Did I miss something? Other than this forum saying we should sign Cotric I haven't seen anything suggesting thay Cotric was even looking for a release and no links to Dragons.

Who knows with our club?. And if he is completely innocent on this Newcastle matter (yet to be proven) then why were Dragons trying to touch him with that 40 foot pole you talk about.

What you did miss was a bit of banter and.....go do you research again cause
Why would I not conclude about Cotric when someone did say (sorry FIRE) that we may be after him cause he is not happy with Sticky. I got excited hearing that!
then the following week we go after SKD to replace Mann..
There you go my best explanation I can give!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Hayne would also need his hypothetical contract to be accepted and registered by the NRL.

Not going to happen.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I actually see Dufty as a closer comparison to Mitch Rein - has an obvious, basic skill set and shows some excitement in his first season, and a ‘highlights’ package that blinds the simpler fan base to his obvious, core weaknesses. We’ll keep him around for a few years while other teams work him out and his skills fail to develop, before finally releasing him for a better option and he’ll float off into reserve grade somewhere!!!

Guess we’ll see. He’s clearly superior to Quinlan, but that’s a low bar.

You’re comparing apples and oranges there, although I (sorta) understand your point.

“Simpler fan base”? Phew, fortunately I don’t reside in that clique. As mentioned previously many times over, I don’t believe Saints necessarily received a “better option” though.

Hopefully, Robson’s development continues to accelerate next year.