What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Charity Shield

giboz71

First Grade
All CS matches since 2012 suggest otherwise.

My point is, trials aren’t about winning the game, it’s all about preparing for Round1.

Roosters 2nd stringers got beat by nearly 60 against Newy last night, and the Titans beat the Broncos.

So making predictions based on a trial is foolish, as it’s not indicative of how the season will unfold.

Case in point, 2018 when we lost the CS, then started the season 9-1.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
My point is, trials aren’t about winning the game, it’s all about preparing for Round1.

Roosters 2nd stringers got beat by nearly 60 against Newy last night, and the Titans beat the Broncos.

So making predictions based on a trial is foolish, as it’s not indicative of how the season will unfold.

Case in point, 2018 when we lost the CS, then started the season 9-1.

How did the rest of 2018 go? Answer: despite the 9-1 start, the side limped into seventh after losing multiple consecutive games which effectively erased that good start.

giboz71

First Grade
How did the rest of 2018 go? Answer: despite the 9-1 start, the side limped into seventh after losing multiple consecutive games which effectively erased that good start.

Correct.

But the start, middle and end to the 2018 season had very little to do with what happened in the Charity Shield that year.

Our attack wasn't very good under Bennett. It was our defence that was good under Bennett. We used to take the 2 points on offer more than any other club in the comp under Bennett.
Come on FF with a centre pairing of Gasnier and Cooper? Wingers of Morris and Nightingale?
Statistically we did pretty well also.
No doubt our defence was our forte but we were no slouches in attack.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Few Dragons plays got a pass mark.
Good
Frizell
Fuimaono
Host
Hunt
Luke
Pereira
Vaughan
Williame
Fair
Brittain
Clune
Ford
Lomax
Sailor
Saab

Poor
Aitken- Too small, no impact
Blacker- Underwhelming and cumbersome
Lafai- Too slow, no impact
Lawrie- Too small, poor handling
Norman- Poor passes, runs around in circles
Ravalawa- Too slow, cumbersome, no impact

To sum up, the forwards are over rated and the backs are pedestrian and probably the worst backline in the NRL. Nothing has changed but the pawns and the pathetic excuses. The use of the bench is atrocious.

giboz71

First Grade
We just do not have what it takes to finish backline plays. All our tries come from kicks or forwards barging over close to the line.
Last night there was a good example. We were on top. Forwards did their job and rolled through the middle. Halves did their job and got good quick ball out wide with an overlap. Then it all broke down. The centre passed too early failing to draw his defender and the winger was stuck having nowhere to go.
THEN what happens is the heads go down from the forwards and the halves and the other team rolls up through the middle and scores.
This will happen all year long!
In our 1-5 there isn't one great player. ALL of them are fringe first graders at other clubs.
This is a massive concern.

Funny thing was, our backline looked actually competent the week before in the Newy trial where Periera scored 4.

Clune, Lomax and Williame know how to execute backline moves.

Not sure why our regular starters can’t do the same?

Dragon David

First Grade
That level of reasoning frustrates me. And it’s because of the way our club is perceived. a once proud club, an international brand, has turned to a joke.
You are right Frank
We unfortunately are nowhere in the sights of the better footballers in the comp. We have not attracted anyone of note for years including B Hunt. We pay overs for 2nd rate players hoping that we have success with them but to no avail.

Gee, if I had billions of dollars and my heart was nothing but Dragons, I would be doing everything possible to get the club in ORDER by clearing out all deadwood from top to bottom and have good scouts out to get the best rugged and menacing forwards and quick, elusive, sharp backs and a head coach knowing the trade to win competitions. Unfortunately I am not he billionaire and the one that has doesn't seem to care one iota.

Like many other Dragons supporters, I do not like to see us at the bottom of the table on a regular basis. Some miracle has to happen to change all of this!!

Dragon David

First Grade
Agreed....McIdiot’s inability to effectively use the bench was once again in full view.

Some things will never change under this imposter.

I thought the inexcusable limited game time given to those you’ve named was appalling, although I hadn’t heard of Gale previously. It seemed one mistake from Blacker was enough of an excuse to replace him.
Gale in my opinion is a good defender. Something lacking in our second half performance!

Dragon David

First Grade
Was mentioned in JA that the fringe players weren’t getting too much game time, that’s what the Newy trial was for.

Mary always uses this game for the same purpose, to get miles in the legs for the starters. They all played more minutes against a whole line up of fresh players Souths brought on for the 2nd half. That was always the intention.

I’m as disappointed as anyone with the result, but last night won’t really be an indicator for our season. And I would have said the same thing had we won the game.
Fair enough.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes for me, also.
It was good to finally get a win after 1971, 1993, 1996, 1999.
I remember the 1971 gf. So much excitement surrounding that match. Saints v Souths, the great rivalry of the day. It was called the Sydney comp. TV coverage had gone up another gear, player interviews prematch. Big SCG crowd. Great times, apart from the result.

But I think you may have forgotten 1977 and 79. It wasn't all drought.

Latest posts