What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 has forced the NRL into having a better schedule. Let's make it permanent.

Origin during or after the club season?

• Total voters

hutch

First Grade
Sorry, but once the GF is done and dusted it's season over until the first story appears about some player "training the house down" in mid Feb.

I'll watch the game only because I have a bet on it.

So you would never normally watch test matches, world cups, aus, nz, England test series, Oceania cup etc?

hutch

First Grade
This shouldn’t even be a discussion. Origin should always be mid year on stand alone weekends with other countries given the opportunity to also play tests or rep matches.

The fact that nobody seems to be discussing the fact that international rugby league occupies the post nrl season space and there was meant to be a 3 test ashes series between Australia and England is sad. I havnt heard vlandys mention next years World Cup either, are we not meant to play in that because of origin?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This shouldn’t even be a discussion. Origin should always be mid year on stand alone weekends with other countries given the opportunity to also play tests or rep matches.

The fact that nobody seems to be discussing the fact that international rugby league occupies the post nrl season space and there was meant to be a 3 test ashes series between Australia and England is sad. I havnt heard vlandys mention next years World Cup either, are we not meant to play in that because of origin?

I'm a bit concerned also that he doesn't seem to be aware that there is a WC scheduled for next year.

Styles clash

Juniors
So you would never normally watch test matches, world cups, aus, nz, England test series, Oceania cup etc?

Only internationals I watch are Australia, England and New Zealand playing each other. All other teams are excess players from those countries who don't think they'll get picked but have a foreign grandparent (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Perth Red

Post Whore

I'm not sure Vlandys has yet discovered RL is played outside of Sydney and Brisbane TBF.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only internationals I watch are Australia, England and New Zealand playing each other. All other teams are excess players from those countries who don't think they'll get picked but have a foreign grandparent (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Do yourself a favour and watch the Tonga games, you're missing out!
Pretty sure most of the PNG and French sides are genuine nationals as well lol.

Styles clash

Juniors
Do yourself a favour and watch the Tonga games, you're missing out!
Pretty sure most of the PNG and French sides are genuine nationals as well lol.

Watched New Zealand vs Tonga last year. Benji Marshall kicking on 4th tackle is when I thought "f**k this".

siv

First Grade
Other than SOO post season

We are also seeing SOO being played 3 weeks in a row

I like the compressed format

Icould live with SOO on the weekend or Tue night

I would be happy for a 4 week mid season rep window

Adding NSW CvC and Qld CvC in week I

Would allow for a final of a 4 nation Oceania Cup - NZ Tonga PNG Fiji

Diesel

Coach

In the early 90’s it was every fortnight from memory, was that the same in the 80’s?
Origin just drags out the middle of the season, compressing it to three weeks in a row would be much better. If test match series can be every 7 days, so can state rep games

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is fascinating is after all these years believing that RL fans didn't really care about International RL, it turns out with this little experiment that in fact RL fans don't really care about anything RL related after the GF is done and dusted. At least we know its not International RL that is the problem!

Perth Red

Post Whore

Agreed much better to get it done and over with in three weeks mid season with NRL shutdown. Play origin weds night, women's origin 3 match series Fri night (viewing figures for this year have been excellent and keep growing) and a pacific 4 nations (Nz, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji or PNG) Sat and Sun with some extra internationals like Lebanon v cook Is, England Invitational v whoever misses out on in 4 nations that year, womens NZ v PNG etc. You could easily create a 5/6 game rep week for three weeks in a row. Why not get even more creative and add in a WA v Vic State tri series as well, recent years has produced some cracking games in the state cup between these two.

This Year?

Immortal
After finishing the SOO series I have to say I liked that it didn't interrupt the NRL season and I think it needs to stay that way.

I think the NRL season needs to be shortened to each side playing each other once. Do we really want to watch 7 or 8 really shit teams stink it up against each other twice a season?

Then SOO which becomes pretty much a 3 week AUS selection trial.

Then internationals.

Styles clash

Juniors
I think the NRL season needs to be shortened to each side playing each other once. Do we really want to watch 7 or 8 really shit teams stink it up against each other twice a season?

If they shorten the regular season there are less shit games but the shit teams become shit quicker as the path to finals narrows earlier. With 15 games there'd be sides putting the cue in the rack by April.

hutch

First Grade

So the 17 Tongan and Samoan players aren’t Tongan and Samoan? Ok mate, like to see you tell them that.
Same goes with the other international teams, some players just have links to more than one country. Rugby league has the same qualification laws as every other major sport.
You’re missing out regardless.

Valheru

Coach
After finishing the SOO series I have to say I liked that it didn't interrupt the NRL season and I think it needs to stay that way.

Then SOO which becomes pretty much a 3 week AUS selection trial.

Then internationals.

This just simply won't happen due to financial reasons.

The best compromise I can see is the mid season 3 week origin window, it is the best of both worlds.

Valheru

Coach
What is fascinating is after all these years believing that RL fans didn't really care about International RL, it turns out with this little experiment that in fact RL fans don't really care about anything RL related after the GF is done and dusted. At least we know its not International RL that is the problem!

I think it shows what we already knew, club land is the most important thing to most fans and always will be.

That is nothing to be embarrassed or salty about either. I mean what sports are legitimately most popular at the international or representative level? Cricket is one. Maybe rugby union at a stretch?

I would say even most fans of soccer which has the most legitimate international competition of any sport in the world are more concerned about the fortunes of their club/s than their nation.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think it shows what we already knew, club land is the most important thing to most fans and always will be.

That is nothing to be embarrassed or salty about either. I mean what sports are legitimately most popular at the international or representative level? Cricket is one. Maybe rugby union at a stretch?

I would say even most fans of soccer which has the most legitimate international competition of any sport in the world are more concerned about the fortunes of their club/s than their nation.
This exactly.

Soccer in Australia could be that internationals trump clubs, depends how much of a diehard you are. I generally watch most games that feature Australia, especially if it's a World Cup or qualifier. Cant say I've ever watched an A league game & havent watched PL for years. For true fans of the game I'd say it's club team all the way.

Valheru

Coach
This exactly.

Soccer in Australia could be that internationals trump clubs, depends how much of a diehard you are. I generally watch most games that feature Australia, especially if it's a World Cup or qualifier. Cant say I've ever watched an A league game & havent watched PL for years. For true fans of the game I'd say it's club team all the way.

Yeah most Aussies would be far more interested in the fortunes of the soccereoos than Sydney FC as an example but in my experience they are even more invested in the PL clubs.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yeah most Aussies would be far more interested in the fortunes of the soccereoos than Sydney FC as an example but in my experience they are even more invested in the PL clubs.

A league has come a long way, but you're right, the PL has been the hot ticket for a long time. As a kid in the 70's & early 80's I was a huge Liverpool fan.