What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Only from supporters that think that Sirro, Koloa and Johns will be ready to step up this year.
Thanks for that.
Yeah I was wondering about him, he had a good game in the Charity Shield, and then we didn't see him again until that match against the Broncos, where he played well, and made that crucial game saving tackle on their own line, straight after Cookie dropped Corey Oates on the line with that grasscutter. I was thinking this guy just needs playing time to come good.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
I hope all the media speculation about Doueihi is just that. Although not attending training is a pointer to him leaving. I’m not sure Bennett made the right call with Doueihi and then saying he has Goodwin in his plans, I m sorry Godwin’s best days are finished. Doueihi has the chance to find a greener pasture or back his ability and potential and force his way into a strong team.This environment can only improve him as a player and add value to himself as a player. I don’t think Bennett or Richardson has handled this well or had vision with Doueihi who can play many positions , come origin Bennett will wish he had more than Goodwin . The recruitment this year has been below par , to many backs and we know Latrell is an unknown performer as yet. Reynolds and walker while stars had their moments of poor play , Doueihi would of kept them on their toes. You don’t go and say to a young guy with a lot of potential go look else where. How many clubs are fostering and giving chances to youngsters like Doueihi.All I can say there would want to be a plan and huge reason why you make this call. Bennett has made some bad calls with players and I hope he hasn’t gave the roosters a gun.
Also why was Doueihi on the money he was on - he was unproven when that contract was signed. If Sam had not been medically retired, our Salary cap would have been a basket case. Richo was lucky that it fell into place - he put the club in a precarious position.

handyman2190

Bench
Also why was Doueihi on the money he was on - he was unproven when that contract was signed. If Sam had not been medically retired, our Salary cap would have been a basket case. Richo was lucky that it fell into place - he put the club in a precarious position.
If you think back 2 seasons ago doughi had that good game with the cedars his contract was up and canberra came in with a large offer,to keep him we had to match which was around 350k because of the cap we had to back end it.
Because AJ and gagai wont budge weve had to let doughi go, which i think is a mistake

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Agree. I played wing and centre before moving into the forwards and centre was easily the toughest defensively.

Defending on the wing is all about keeping your opposite number inside you. Very little decision making. I found it easy as long as i kept my composure. Any extra players to defend against are there because they've beaten my inside man.

At centre, the opposing centre was the main job but there are also halves, fullbacks and occasionally edge forwards looking to create an overlap to worry about. Ideally the inside defence slides across but that isn't always the case. The last thing i wanted to do was leave my outside man stranded 2 on 1.

There are times at centre that i feel Gagai panics when defending. He's fine defending on a wing and it suits his attacking game better.
The only reason he's considered as a centre imo is because the Newcastle side he was with was so bad that he was a good option there.

Definitely agreed on all aspects. Gagai’s defence is what’s holding him back from being an elite centre and I definitely think he panics when he sees a 3 on 3 situation rather than trust his inside man. I just feel as if the coaching staff will definitely focus on this but I see Gagai’s best position in our team on the wing as well. Burns and Roberts are superior players in attack as well. Burns is bloody crafty.

Go Bunnies

Juniors
If you think back 2 seasons ago doughi had that good game with the cedars his contract was up and canberra came in with a large offer,to keep him we had to match which was around 350k because of the cap we had to back end it.
Because AJ and gagai wont budge weve had to let doughi go, which i think is a mistake
Why should any player “budge” that has a contract. Doueihi is a good plAyer but definitely not worth $500k for this season.

Robbie 12

Juniors
So there's rumours emerging that Doueihi is gone. Anyone got anymore infor on that?

Also, From Channel Nine,

HOW GOODWIN'S RETURN ALMOST FELL APART

Meanwhile, Goodwin's return to South Sydney almost fell apart last week.

League fans were stunned that Goodwin - who turned 34 last month - rejoined the Rabbitohs for 2020 after two seasons in Super League with Warrington.

Catalans made an attempt to snatch Goodwin this week on a two-year deal.

Goodwin was tempted - but Souths coach Wayne Bennett said the veteran centre is in his plans, so he is going nowhere … and is fine with that.

Curiously, while Bennett wants Goodwin to stay, it is believed fellow backs Adam Doueihi, Alex Johnston and Dane Gagai are all free to move on.

WHY TITANS WILL DIG IN ON ARROW

Jai Arrow's reputation as a stand-up guy is the main reason the Titans are unlikely to release the tough forward to South Sydney this season.

Arrow has signed with the Bunnies for 2021 and made it clear that he wants out of Gold Coast now to start his new career.

In most cases like this, club reluctantly let the player go a year early, knowing not wanting to stay will affect their form and attitude.

But Titans coach Justin Holbrook has spoken to those who know Arrow best at the club - and they have given the young forward massive endorsements.

"He is a great kid - the type who won't walk around kicking stones if we dig our heels in and make him stay," a club insider told me.

As a result, unless the Titans can find a suitable replacement, expect Arrow to stay right where he is until September.

I think that if we just be patient with arrow and the Gold Coast...maybe half way throw the season we might get a release who knows .. Maybe if the competition gets to half way and it's certain that the Gold Coast can't make the 8 they might release him or Souths to push to release him before the finals, he could play off the bench and then a starting role easing him into the team before the finals, I think that's Souths best chance of get arrow now

Travitoh

First Grade

It isn't the fault of AJ or Gagai that there have been cap management problems, it's the guy who gave them and others contracts.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
It isn't the fault of AJ or Gagai that there have been cap management problems, it's the guy who gave them and others contracts.
But is there a cap problem? They keep saying we are not over the cap even if Arrow comes over this year, we can keep Doueihi and sign Latrell. Is it spin to cover up another deal?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Source: Daily Telegraph.

Adam Doueihi has walked into South Sydney training at Redfern on Wednesday morning to tell his teammates he is leaving the NRL club.

It is still not known where Doueihi will be playing this season, however, The Daily Telegraph understands that several clubs are showing interest, with suggestions the Sydney Roosters, Canberra and potentially Melbourne are now in the mix.

Doueihi would be a suitable option for all three clubs given the current strengths and weaknesses of their respective rosters.

It is believed that Doueihi and his family have been less than impressed with the way the Tigers have baulked at paying the money the Rabbitohs wanted to secure his release.

Doueihi felt that there was no way he could keep playing at the Rabbitohs, given he had been told by coach Wayne Bennett that it was in his best interests to leave if he wanted to be a regular first-grade starting player.

The Tigers, who recently missed out on signing Latrell Mitchell, are now at risk of losing the race to sign another of rugby league’s rising stars, with strong mail that other options have emerged.

Doueihi has been a popular figure at the Rabbitohs for several years now, and showed what an outstanding prospect he is with his courageous performance in last year’s semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders.

Doueihi has been extremely emotional in recent times after learning that his future at the Rabbitohs was uncertain. However, at Wednesday morning’s meeting with his teammates, there was plenty of support, as he is convinced he is making the right decision.

At 21, Doueihi is seen as a representative player of the future, who can comfortably play fullback, five-eighth or in the centres.

He has already represented minnows Lebanon at international level.

While Doueihi’s big chance of playing his preferred fullback position would be at the Tigers, several rivals have shown interest in him playing in the centres.

More to come.

CliveC

Juniors
Source: Daily Telegraph.

Adam Doueihi has walked into South Sydney training at Redfern on Wednesday morning to tell his teammates he is leaving the NRL club.

It is still not known where Doueihi will be playing this season, however, The Daily Telegraph understands that several clubs are showing interest, with suggestions the Sydney Roosters, Canberra and potentially Melbourne are now in the mix.

Doueihi would be a suitable option for all three clubs given the current strengths and weaknesses of their respective rosters.

It is believed that Doueihi and his family have been less than impressed with the way the Tigers have baulked at paying the money the Rabbitohs wanted to secure his release.

Doueihi felt that there was no way he could keep playing at the Rabbitohs, given he had been told by coach Wayne Bennett that it was in his best interests to leave if he wanted to be a regular first-grade starting player.

The Tigers, who recently missed out on signing Latrell Mitchell, are now at risk of losing the race to sign another of rugby league’s rising stars, with strong mail that other options have emerged.

Doueihi has been a popular figure at the Rabbitohs for several years now, and showed what an outstanding prospect he is with his courageous performance in last year’s semi-final loss to the Canberra Raiders.

Doueihi has been extremely emotional in recent times after learning that his future at the Rabbitohs was uncertain. However, at Wednesday morning’s meeting with his teammates, there was plenty of support, as he is convinced he is making the right decision.

At 21, Doueihi is seen as a representative player of the future, who can comfortably play fullback, five-eighth or in the centres.

He has already represented minnows Lebanon at international level.

While Doueihi’s big chance of playing his preferred fullback position would be at the Tigers, several rivals have shown interest in him playing in the centres.

More to come.
If Dewey takes a gig in the centres at another club then read thanks Wayne you clucked up!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
This kind of makes me realise that Bennett is a good person as well as a good coach. He was straight up with Doueihi and didn’t f**k him around. We could’ve easily made him wait out his contract and be a backup but Bennett knows he’s a quality player that can get game time at other clubs. Good job South Sydney and good job Bennett. Maybe one day we’ll see Doueihi return to the club.

We will also have more cash to go towards resigning that huge off contract list at the end of the season.

truthslayer

Juniors
BIG stuff up mr Bennett place it at the top of your many , Doueihi was part of Souths future and you probably wont be around in a few years time when it comes back to bite us on the ass. This was a very bad call , no blame to Doueihi all blame to you. I hope you have a great backup plan, recruitment has been bad , its only luck that we snared Mitchell, the writing was on the wall re douehi when you both sucked up to each other in the media. So many players off contract next year. So will Campbell Graham be the next young gun told to look elsewhere. Shame on you Bennett Shame on you Richardson.

Travitoh

First Grade
But is there a cap problem? They keep saying we are not over the cap even if Arrow comes over this year, we can keep Doueihi and sign Latrell. Is it spin to cover up another deal?

There was until GI and Sam were retired. Richo got bailed out of trouble there.

If Dewey takes a gig in the centres at another club then read thanks Wayne you clucked up!

If Doueihi goes it will be for a better opportunity, not because he's being pushed.

truthslayer

Juniors
This kind of makes me realise that Bennett is a good person as well as a good coach. He was straight up with Doueihi and didn’t f**k him around. We could’ve easily made him wait out his contract and be a backup but Bennett knows he’s a quality player that can get game time at other clubs. Good job South Sydney and good job Bennett. Maybe one day we’ll see Doueihi return to the club.
That’s ridiculous Bad Job Bennett . Of course he f**k d him big time. So your in favor of letting young guns go. Don’t give me he did Douehi a favor.

truthslayer

Juniors
There was until GI and Sam were retired. Richo got bailed out of trouble there.

If Doueihi goes it will be for a better opportunity, not because he's being pushed.
Why not seek that better opportunity at Souths a good player will fight his way into a side. Don’t you rate Douehi?