What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Travitoh

First Grade
If there was one lesson to take away last night, it's that the Souths pack needs to get fitter and more athletic, not bigger.

I thought Tom and Knight were exposed by Penriths speed through the middle, Tom in particular getting caught out with his back to the PTB as he jogged back to the line 18 minutes in to his shift for what proved to be the deciding score. Knight was MIA everytime Korosiau took off through the middle and unable to get across when he needed to.

If you look at the make up of the two grand finalists, they only carried 2 out and out forwards on the bench with a spare back and a spare hooker, though the hooker will often drop in at lock.

Carrying 3 props on the bench is a thing of a past era. The game is shifting towards speed through the middle being key. There is still room for power but not at the expense of athleticism.

Arrow coming in will help, Murray already suits and Koloamatangi looks like he can fit in. But there are other forwards in the squad who i feel a decision will need to made on sooner rather than later.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
NRL.COM

Ethan Lowe retires: Rabbitohs forward hangs up boots at 29
Yeah, I brought this up a few months ago, because of the mail Crawley on FOX was getting.

Best wishes to Ethan.

Now....that's 500K we save off the cap, because next year we were fully paying his salary. Should be enough to afford the Fox if Melbourne can make a swap deal with us.

handyman2190

Bench
If there was one lesson to take away last night, it's that the Souths pack needs to get fitter and more athletic, not bigger.

I thought Tom and Knight were exposed by Penriths speed through the middle, Tom in particular getting caught out with his back to the PTB as he jogged back to the line 18 minutes in to his shift for what proved to be the deciding score. Knight was MIA everytime Korosiau took off through the middle and unable to get across when he needed to.

If you look at the make up of the two grand finalists, they only carried 2 out and out forwards on the bench with a spare back and a spare hooker, though the hooker will often drop in at lock.

Carrying 3 props on the bench is a thing of a past era. The game is shifting towards speed through the middle being key. There is still room for power but not at the expense of athleticism.

Arrow coming in will help, Murray already suits and Koloamatangi looks like he can fit in. But there are other forwards in the squad who i feel a decision will need to made on sooner rather than later.
Well dillon and dennis are gonski, i hope jacob host isnt the only forward coming now we know lowe is freeing up money,shame we couldnt get hetherington.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

Yeah maybe, but exceptions to this can be found, like Melbourne and their gargantuan pack, but generally, with the New rule changes, this may well end up being true.

Not having Murray in the middle to cover the gaps was a mistake. We lost Tatola and Sironen as well before half time. I think they both still have a future with us. Knight was ok as a bench forward, but we've paid way overs for him. Jai Arrow may well end up being mainly in the front row for us, he won't be supplanting Murray at lock.

In the end, it was our backline that was short handed throughout the season through injuries and last night really showed it.

Last night, our back 3 couldn't make any yards or momentum digging the ball out of our own 20, here we really missed Campbell Graham because he gets those hard yards because of his size an strength. Having Latrell will fix this, but IMO we lack depth. Allen needs to be groomed as a future 5/8, Paulo is still a bit young and lacks off-the-mark speed. Burns is a walking health insurance claim, Roberts may well be done, Bennett seemed to have lost confidence in Marsters. We can't be playing edge towards in the backline, it doesn't work. We need the Fox and another centre with Allen, Paulo, and Marsters as back ups

Last edited:

Galeforce

Bench
Well dillon and dennis are gonski, i hope jacob host isnt the only forward coming now we know lowe is freeing up money,shame we couldnt get hetherington.

Lowe's retirement is not a surprise and I think we already covered this by getting
Jed and Host. We need to re sign Sua as the priority , not worry about getting another backrower.

Then , make the closure on Suaalii // Jac .....one or the other.I prefer the long term planning for Suaalii , only if he agrees to come for long term contract..

Our focus needs to change to a serious young halves backup who will be our future......as Reynolds/Walker had a relatively injury free season in 2020 , however they are both closer to end of their careers. If we already have in our junior ranks then they need to start getting bench/game time next year........do not think Dargon/Hawkins are our long term future. I would like to see Allan worked as a possible 5/8.........he has good hands and sound defence and good instincts. Allan will not make the team when LM is back as fullback or wing.......so its either centre/5/8 and bench.......where he needs to cover all those positions.

Young Joshua Cook , if he is going to be Cooks long term replacement , also needs to be getting serious bench time next year ( like Storm doing with the Cheese)

So next year our bench needs to include Joshua , halve option ( Allan?) in my view in more games. I think Nichols on the bench days may be numbered .

Our 17 should only include 4 from
Knight , Tom , Tatola , keaon,rodwell , nicholls, mago,amone

4 from
Arrow, Jed , Host ,Johns, Sele , Murray ,Sirro Sua

1 bench hooker/halve, backline option...........starting the year Sirro would be that player for mine.Followed by developing Allan and Cook.

Travitoh

First Grade
Assuming everyone is available, i would like to see Souths line up in round 1 as

Latrell
AJ
Graham
Marsters/Allan
Gagai
Cody
Reynolds
Arrow
DCook
Tom
Sua
Sironen
Murray

JCook/Taaffe (cover 6,7,9. Minutes at 9or13)
Tatola
Koloamatangi
Allan/Marsters (cover 1-5)

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Lowe's retirement is not a surprise and I think we already covered this by getting
Jed and Host. We need to re sign Sua as the priority , not worry about getting another backrower.

Then , make the closure on Suaalii // Jac .....one or the other.I prefer the long term planning for Suaalii , only if he agrees to come for long term contract..

Our focus needs to change to a serious young halves backup who will be our future......as Reynolds/Walker had a relatively injury free season in 2020 , however they are both closer to end of their careers. If we already have in our junior ranks then they need to start getting bench/game time next year........do not think Dargon/Hawkins are our long term future. I would like to see Allan worked as a possible 5/8.........he has good hands and sound defence and good instincts. Allan will not make the team when LM is back as fullback or wing.......so its either centre/5/8 and bench.......where he needs to cover all those positions.

Young Joshua Cook , if he is going to be Cooks long term replacement , also needs to be getting serious bench time next year ( like Storm doing with the Cheese)

So next year our bench needs to include Joshua , halve option ( Allan?) in my view in more games. I think Nichols on the bench days may be numbered .

Our 17 should only include 4 from
Knight , Tom , Tatola , keaon,rodwell , nicholls, mago,amone

4 from
Arrow, Jed , Host ,Johns, Sele , Murray ,Sirro Sua

1 bench hooker/halve, backline option...........starting the year Sirro would be that player for mine.Followed by developing Allan and Cook.
We have taafe and dargan as half backups

Hellray

Juniors
Blake Taffe and possibly Lachlan Illias will be the 2 halves that will be groomed to take reynolds and walkers spots in coming years.

Hawkins won’t be resigned and from the way they spoke about a young dummy half from under 20’s they resigned at the same time, he may be looked at more than Josh Cook as our next number 9

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I cant believe Bennett is saying we are not interested in the Foxx. Who does he want, that broken down walking health insurance claim Braidon Burns? James Roberts?
If that's the case, what a f###ing joke, I'll be glad when he moves on.

handyman2190

Bench
I cant believe Bennett is saying we are not interested in the Foxx. Who does he want, that broken down walking health insurance claim Braidon Burns? James Roberts?
If that's the case, what a f###ing joke, I'll be glad when he moves on.
I know 1 thing,paulo dosent cut it,he is no threat on that wing, we can probably put either roberts or gagai on that wing,even burns,but his injurys have curbed his speed,ill never forget him getting run down after he caught that intercept,any other back would have scored,paulo should be offered as a swop

callmack1

Staff member
Review will decide if one-ref system and six-again rule have a future: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/19...-ref-system-and-six-again-rule-have-a-future/

‘This conversation is done’ - Buzz, Hoops clash over ‘personal’ Wayne Bennett barb: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/c2ba5efe1fef90f958eb93f6efe01d50

Why Souths' premiership window is still wide open: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...wan-song/e2d44bb3-e57f-4a9a-b261-cadbe2548223

From Sporting News,

Greg Inglis reveals Queensland Maroons coach Wayne Bennett’s brutal snub

Not that long ago he was among the first players picked every year – but Greg Inglis has revealed his attempts to contact Queensland Maroons coach Wayne Bennett have so far been unsuccessful.

Inglis played two games under Bennett at South Sydney before announcing his shock rugby league retirement in early 2019.

The 33-year-old is on the comeback trail after signing a one-year deal with English Super League club Warrington Wolves for the upcoming season.

In August Inglis revealed he had been in contact with then-Maroons coach Kevin Walters about a possible Origin return in next month’s interstate series.

“It’s something obviously I’ve got to get back up and running and get the kilometres up in the legs but again, I’m not saying no and I’m not saying yes,” Inglis told NRL.com in August when asked about his Origin availability.

“(We are) just having that open dialogue and I’ll go on the way I feel in a month or two months’ time.

“… We’ll just wait and see how it pans out. Obviously it goes on players if they’re fit and whatever the coaches think is going to be the right mix for the team.”

Walters was this month replaced by Bennett after accepting his dream job as head coach of the Broncos.

Bennett made his presence felt immediately when he told another Maroons legend and assistant coach Justin Hodges his services are not required.

And in another sign the famed Queensland loyalty is a thing of the past, Bennett didn’t pick up when Inglis called this week.

“There was a couple of conversations I had with Kevvie but I tried to call Wayne up last week and he didn’t return my call, so I don’t know where that’s going to head to from now on,” Inglis told Channel 9 on Saturday night when asked about his Origin prospects.

In his defence, Bennett was this week busy preparing the Bunnies for their preliminary finals showdown with the Panthers.

The 70-year-old will now turn his full attention to preparing the Maroons for the November 4 series opener against the Blues in Adelaide following South Sydney’s 20-16 defeat on Saturday night.

All three games will be played in November for the first time in the 40-year history of Origin due to COVID-19.

Game 2 will be played in Sydney on Wednesday, November 11 with Suncorp Stadium to host the series decider on November 18.

Inglis played the last of his 32 games for the Maroons in 2018.

He hasn’t played rugby league at any level since Round 2 of the 2019 NRL campaign.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Mind games dear boy.
He said the same thing about Roberts
I know 1 thing,paulo dosent cut it,he is no threat on that wing, we can probably put either roberts or gagai on that wing,even burns,but his injurys have curbed his speed,ill never forget him getting run down after he caught that intercept,any other back would have scored,paulo should be offered as a swop
The rumour mill is saying Melbourne is looking at one of the Bulldogs outside backs, as a swap deal.
Surely Roberts + Paulo gets the deal done.....

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Review will decide if one-ref system and six-again rule have a future: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/19...-ref-system-and-six-again-rule-have-a-future/

‘This conversation is done’ - Buzz, Hoops clash over ‘personal’ Wayne Bennett barb: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/c2ba5efe1fef90f958eb93f6efe01d50

Why Souths' premiership window is still wide open: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...wan-song/e2d44bb3-e57f-4a9a-b261-cadbe2548223

From Sporting News,

Greg Inglis reveals Queensland Maroons coach Wayne Bennett’s brutal snub

Not that long ago he was among the first players picked every year – but Greg Inglis has revealed his attempts to contact Queensland Maroons coach Wayne Bennett have so far been unsuccessful.

Inglis played two games under Bennett at South Sydney before announcing his shock rugby league retirement in early 2019.

The 33-year-old is on the comeback trail after signing a one-year deal with English Super League club Warrington Wolves for the upcoming season.

In August Inglis revealed he had been in contact with then-Maroons coach Kevin Walters about a possible Origin return in next month’s interstate series.

“It’s something obviously I’ve got to get back up and running and get the kilometres up in the legs but again, I’m not saying no and I’m not saying yes,” Inglis told NRL.com in August when asked about his Origin availability.

“(We are) just having that open dialogue and I’ll go on the way I feel in a month or two months’ time.

“… We’ll just wait and see how it pans out. Obviously it goes on players if they’re fit and whatever the coaches think is going to be the right mix for the team.”

Walters was this month replaced by Bennett after accepting his dream job as head coach of the Broncos.

Bennett made his presence felt immediately when he told another Maroons legend and assistant coach Justin Hodges his services are not required.

And in another sign the famed Queensland loyalty is a thing of the past, Bennett didn’t pick up when Inglis called this week.

“There was a couple of conversations I had with Kevvie but I tried to call Wayne up last week and he didn’t return my call, so I don’t know where that’s going to head to from now on,” Inglis told Channel 9 on Saturday night when asked about his Origin prospects.

In his defence, Bennett was this week busy preparing the Bunnies for their preliminary finals showdown with the Panthers.

The 70-year-old will now turn his full attention to preparing the Maroons for the November 4 series opener against the Blues in Adelaide following South Sydney’s 20-16 defeat on Saturday night.

All three games will be played in November for the first time in the 40-year history of Origin due to COVID-19.

Game 2 will be played in Sydney on Wednesday, November 11 with Suncorp Stadium to host the series decider on November 18.

Inglis played the last of his 32 games for the Maroons in 2018.

He hasn’t played rugby league at any level since Round 2 of the 2019 NRL campaign.
Don't know or understand why Bennett is snubbing GI - strange

2021 team I would like to see. We are a team that should be top 4.

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Mitchell
4. Graham
5. Gaigai
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Arrow
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Siro
12. Sau
13. Murray

14. Koloamatangi
15. Tatola
16. Cartwright
17. Knight

18. Sele
19. Paulo

( Hopefully we can move on Roberts and Burns )

Not sure if we have resigned tom amone for next season ? Would suggest that we do.

Not interested in getting Addo Carr ,

should Resign tatola / siro / sau /koloamatangi / Allan and Reynolds

Ask Dane to take a huge downgrade to resign and be our right wing ( no dreams of playing center ) if not 2021 is his last year with us

2022 would be the same team as 2021 with the exception of Dane ( bring thru a kid or get a gun right wing )

Latest posts