What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Yeah I heard that old man saying all this on 2KY this morning but he is wrong about a few things (as usual):

- Allan is not going to get "fullback money" just yet from any club

- We are not under pressure with the cap, even if we upgrade Latrell. Suaali is gone so there is 600K saved, Ethan Lowe retirement saves us 500K, then we'll see what we can save if we move Jimmy and Corey.

Actually, if you do the maths, we've actually got money hidden away, even after the recent K-Mart signings, and especially if Suaali traitors us and goes to the Rorters. Even after a Latrell upgrade, I'm wondering if they are not building a piggy bank to jump on someone???

Money hidden away - better hope NRL don't come knocking then - Sombrero Souffs lol

callmack1

Staff member
James Roberts Granted Release On Compassionate Grounds: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/11/03/james-roberts-granted-release-on-compassionate-grounds/

A bit sad it had to end like this really for the Jet. We all know how good he can be but the fact of the matter is, he has done nothing since he came here. That sucks but it's the truth and I can't argue with the club's decision. Cheers Jet, all the best.

Keeping interstate series at end of year will impact other facets of code, warns Billy Slater: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...r-series/587ced58-04ed-41fa-8258-be3fb288524a

James Roberts Granted Release On Compassionate Grounds: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/11/03/james-roberts-granted-release-on-compassionate-grounds/

A bit sad it had to end like this really for the Jet. We all know how good he can be but the fact of the matter is, he has done nothing since he came here. That sucks but it's the truth and I can't argue with the club's decision. Cheers Jet, all the best.

Keeping interstate series at end of year will impact other facets of code, warns Billy Slater: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/state-...r-series/587ced58-04ed-41fa-8258-be3fb288524a

Problem is with playing SOO at end of year - players are worn out and there will be players not available through injury. This series 27 player squads containing players who would not normally play SOO - when they do their value increases and some players may have rep payments in their contracts which would then have to paid.

These players may also ask for more money in their current contracts and when coming off contract or allowed to negotiate in the last year of their contract.

Fred Smith on 300k a season is selected to play SOO when he normally would not be - could then be worth 500k or more a year then.

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
After a bit of digging this is what I've managed to find and piece together:

This comes from Wikipedia:
On 26 February, Lowe was granted an immediate release from the final year of his contract by the Cowboys to join the South Sydney Rabbitohs on a one-year deal. In round 3 he scored his first try for the Rabbitohs in their 28-20 win over the Gold Coast Titans. On 26 June 2019 Ethan Lowe re-signed for the South Sydney Rabbitohs until the end of the 2021 NRL season.

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ng-contracts-of-junior-tatola-and-ethan-lowe/

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...dney-roster-report/1efl4maes9us11lrf6xxgjbj0v

https://www.nvi.com.au/story/5913569/tigers-appear-set-to-sign-jennings/

So it seems, and as I remember hearing it from Telecrap, Ethan Lowe had a big falling out with Coach Green and Cowboys. He asked for "a release". Souths let Robert Jennings go so they could get Ethan Lowe, with the Cowboys chipping in some money. This was for his final year 2019. Souths then gave Lowe a 2 year extension. I just can't see his salary, because Telecrap is on a pay wall (and no way I'm paying for their chite), but that dickhead Bulldog said 500K because he made SOO in 2019.

So the answer to your question of who s signed him: is we did

Also found this link which has Jimmy Jet @ 550K which surprised me because I thought we got him for 350K from Broncos - did Souths upgrade that original deal?

https://www.nospam25.net.au/forum/i...-for-the-highest-paid-players-in-2020.116902/

Not sure how accurate it is, they got Latrell @ 800, but if you remember we paying 600 + 117 is paid by Roosters, they got Cookie @ 800 when other links got him @ 900, Cody @ 700, when I'm pretty sure the media said 650 when he agreed to extension.

Thanks for all your hard work, that's a pretty complete report.

I can't see Lowe being worth that amount, he always struck me as mediocre except that one game when he was playing for Qlds.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Thanks for all your hard work, that's a pretty complete report.

I can't see Lowe being worth that amount, he always struck me as mediocre except that one game when he was playing for Qlds.
Thanks.
Yeah, so if you discount Bulldog Ritchie and his BS, and just go on that list of top 100 salaries, where the 100th was 450K, then you would think that Low would be somewhere between 350-450. As I said, Roberts @ 550 surprised me, but the varying estimates for the two offset, so with them, and Suualli probably going to the Rorters, saving 600, but Latrell getting probably 200 upgrade, and SuA to get an upgrade after SOO, it looks like we've got a bit of money hanging over, more if Allan finds another offer. Remember Arrow's money is already accounted for because they used Sam's allocated money to get Arrow.

If we dont get JAC either for 2021, or 2022, Id be making a call to the Broncos to see how they still feel about Pangai, they are trying to move Lodge but I dont want him. The Broncos are on the edge capwise and can't upgrade their roster if they don't move guys, and nobody is gonna take Bird off their hands, and they need multiple positions upgraded, so moving Lodge is not enough

Last edited:

Thumper

Juniors
Thanks.
Yeah, so if you discount Bulldog Ritchie and his BS, and just go on that list of top 100 salaries, where the 100th was 450K, then you would think that Low would be somewhere between 350-450. As I said, Roberts @ 550 surprised me, but the varying estimates for the two offset, so with them, and Suualli probably going to the Rorters, saving 600, but Latrell getting probably 200 upgrade, and SuA to get an upgrade after SOO, it looks like we've got a bit of money hanging over, more if Allan finds another offer. Remember Arrow's money is already accounted for because they used Sam's allocated money to get Arrow.

If we dont get JAC either for 2021, or 2022, Id be making a call to the Broncos to see how they still feel about Pangai, they are trying to move Lodge but I dont want him. The Broncos are on the edge capwise and can't upgrade their roster if they don't move guys, and nobody is gonna take Bird off their hands, and they need multiple positions upgraded, so moving Lodge is not enough

Pangai is exactly who I would target.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Pangai is exactly who I would target.
And I think Bennett likes him, particularly with a new coach, and New CEO with new ideas, the Broncos might be amenable to an approach, especially if we are willing to pay all or almost all of his current contract. The Broncos have no cap room, and they need basically a whole new spine 1, 6, 7, 9. Milford doesn't cut it and nobody wants him, Deardon might prove ok, fullback and hooker are up for grabs, and they will need to give a major upgrade to keep Staggs. They are trying to offload Lodge and Offenguahe - we'll see how much they gotta pay teams to take them. Maybe even Croft

handyman2190

Bench
And I think Bennett likes him, particularly with a new coach, and New CEO with new ideas, the Broncos might be amenable to an approach, especially if we are willing to pay all or almost all of his current contract. The Broncos have no cap room, and they need basically a whole new spine 1, 6, 7, 9. Milford doesn't cut it and nobody wants him, Deardon might prove ok, fullback and hooker are up for grabs, and they will need to give a major upgrade to keep Staggs. They are trying to offload Lodge and Offenguahe - we'll see how much they gotta pay teams to take them. Maybe even Croft
Ive heard ofengowie is st george
bound they are keeping lodge now ive earlier on said pengai would give us mongrel

Travitoh

First Grade
A player like JAC you dont pass up if he wants to be at the club.

Moga - 4 knee re-cons - he wont last the season.
Burns - walking health insurance claim - has he played a full season yet without being injured for the season/finals?
Milne - question marks
Marsters - seems like Wayne lost faith in him
Paulo - yeah, but still green.
Cartwright - he's not a true centre
Roberts - is being let go.

Thats our depth. You wanna trust in that given how many injuries our backline suffered this past season?

Bring back Kyle 'Elite Centre' Turner and everything will be fine

Pangai plays 1 good game in 4 or 5 and needs a coach with a cattle prod to get consistency from him week in week out.

Have to wait and see if they improve under Walters as if not a few players will want out- isn't Milford on 800 k plus at least Bird has a reason for not playing- injury -what's Milfords?.

Could have bought 2 players or 3 even for the money they are paying and get way better value for money-ditto Bird (he's been injured but when he did play he didn't do a lot )

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Pangai plays 1 good game in 4 or 5 and needs a coach with a cattle prod to get consistency from him week in week out.

Have to wait and see if they improve under Walters as if not a few players will want out- isn't Milford on 800 k plus at least Bird has a reason for not playing- injury -what's Milfords?.

Could have bought 2 players or 3 even for the money they are paying and get way better value for money-ditto Bird (he's been injured but when he did play he didn't do a lot )
Though Milford was on a mill
Bird is on a stack of money too

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Thanks.

LOL I said nobody wants Bird, look like he could be going to the Dragons. Wonder how much that'll cost the Broncos?

Latest posts