What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Ron's_Mate

Bench
'We haven't given him much thought': Tigers take swipe at Matterson
By Christian Nicolussi
July 19, 2020 — 7.30pm

The gloves have come off ahead of Thursday night's western derby, with Parramatta's Ryan Matterson denying he ditched the Wests Tigers just one year into a three-year deal because he believed they could not win the competition.

As the Tigers prepare to face the Eels for the first time since Matterson's defection in the off-season, the second-rower was upset when he read a story in The Sun-Herald in which it was reported he'd signed off from the club last season by telling them: ''You’ll never win a grand final - I want out.''

The Eels took the step of releasing a statement on Sunday taking issue with the report. "Parramatta and Ryan categorically deny that these comments were made and are disappointed that they were raised behind the veil of an anonymous source and without an opportunity for us to respond,'' the Eels said.

"Ryan has continually maintained that the reasons behind his departure will remain confidential and this will continue.''

But Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe responded angrily to the Eels on Sunday afternoon, maintaining numerous people at the club were aware of Matterson's comment, as reported by the Herald.

Pascoe also made it clear the Tigers were still irked by the manner of Matterson's departure from the Tigers.

"We’re really proud of the direction this club is taking and we will always pay homage and respect to the players who have worn the Wests' Tigers jersey in the past and made it the brand it is today," Pascoe said. "If people want to act disrespectfully and walk out on their contracts and teammates early, that’s their choice.

"Ryan walked out early and while we’ve never been entirely sure why he did what he did, we also haven’t given him or what he did to us much thought since.''

Contacted to respond to Pascoe's comments, the Eels declined to comment.

Thursday night's clash at Bankwest Stadium will have plenty of extra feeling now Matterson's extraordinary exit has made headlines again. The Tigers also expect another one of their former players who now wears the blue and gold, Mitch Moses, to return from a calf injury.

Matterson was sorely missed for the Eels as they went down to Manly on Saturday night, while the Tigers are desperate to build on their 48-0 victory over the busted-up Broncos.

Parramatta belted the Tigers during an Easter Monday mauling last year, while they also ruined Benji Marshall's 300th later in the season.

Matterson first addressed his Tigers' exit at the start of the year when he said: "I did give my all in 2019 in every single game, and to all the fans out there I'm sorry with how it happened. I wish them all the best."

He always maintained his departure had nothing to do with money nor a run-in with coach Michael Maguire.

Former Tigers favourite Robbie Farah made his thoughts on the situation known when he told an NRL.com podcast last year: "I love Matto, he’s a great guy. [But] the way it has been handled, it’s been quite poor from him and his management. He’s probably worth more than he is on. But you signed a contract. Honour your contract."

Matterson refused to attend an end-of-season bowls days with the players last year and then took a pot shot at the Tigers last month on social media for allowing Corey Thompson to join the Gold Coast Titans.

"Players’ player last year and they didn’t want to use you this year," wrote Matterson, followed by the raised eyebrows emoji.

Marshall had no desire to be drawn into a slanging match, saying after the Broncos blowout: "Matto is a great player, he's still a good mate of mine, but [Thursday] has got nothing to do with Matto. We need the two points again.

"If you work hard at training you get results and, honestly, he's one of the hardest workers I've seen at training. I can understand why he's added so much to them. And he's a leader.

"In an ideal world you always want it to be rosy and good. But he did what he felt was best for him, and that's OK. You can't bag anyone for doing that. He's going well. Good luck to him."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...-take-swipe-at-matterson-20200719-p55dfg.html

WA Tiger

Bench
??? I like that Pascoe had a little dig
one minute pascoes irked about the manner Mad son left and then next he hasn't given his departure much thought, then he reacted angrily ...and then “we will always pay homage and respect to past players” (not fkn likely) ..make up your mind Pascoe ..And saying if someone wants to leave (under those circumstances) it’s their choice isn’t a good look. Actually it was Pascoes soft cock choice...

Last edited:
I don’t buy into that Pascoe didn’t know why Matterson left, he had a contract with the WT that he broke ,Pascoe would definitely know the reasons and details as to why he wanted out before the release was granted.At the moment, I’d say Pascoe is just playing mind games with Matterson and it seems to be working :joy:.

Tigerm

First Grade
Paul Green has just resigned or axed, that's 3 this year so far and we are only half way through the comp.

Bronco's and Titans will no doubt review as well. Its a cut throat business these guys get into.

Make you wonder if we really do have enough talent for all these teams?
It cant change but talking of expansion is crazy atm, unless they change the cap to make it fair for everyone.

Tiger05

First Grade
unless they change the cap to make it fair for everyone.

They need to police the cap. Teams like the rorters get away with cheating. I look at Canberra and they just get a decent team and it's already falling apart. Long term success like the rorters and the Storm have had wouldn't happen if the cap was policed properly.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Paul Green has just resigned or axed, that's 3 this year so far and we are only half way through the comp.

Bronco's and Titans will no doubt review as well. Its a cut throat business these guys get into.

Make you wonder if we really do have enough talent for all these teams?
It cant change but talking of expansion is crazy atm, unless they change the cap to make it fair for everyone.
Seibolds sacking is imminent.Hes a dead man walking.The titans coaching job is safe.

A lot of talk linking Green to Cronulla which I think would b unfair on Morris if he were 2 b retrenched.

Tiger Ted

Bench
They need to police the cap. Teams like the rorters get away with cheating. I look at Canberra and they just get a decent team and it's already falling apart. Long term success like the rorters and the Storm have had wouldn't happen if the cap was policed properly.
Yep the cap is certainly one heck of a farce.Talk about expansion is laughable as is evident by the numerous blowouts this season.I was at the 8th wonder fri nite & certainly wasn’t my usual excited self after a win.A Balmain junior team couldve beaten the broncos.

BrotherJim05

Bench
It's a difficult one because I don't think there is enough talent relative to the number of teams and the rate of injury in our game.

Junior development has become a big problem, as there is pretty much no incentive to develop home grown talent. There needs to be either cap incentives or they need to re-ignite the youth competition again

stryker

First Grade
It is policed. As for the cheating claim, I disagree. Their systems and their coaching staff are why they succeed. Both clubs have a reasonably high turnover of players. They make sure those that replace them are just as good. This is where the rorting conspiracies are born but good players are drawn to successful clubs. They do it better than the rest.

Tigerm

First Grade
Looks we are assuming our normal position.:D:D:D

If we can keep injuries and suspensions down, still think we will find that next step up the ladder.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Looks we are assuming our normal position.:D:D:D

If we can keep injuries and suspensions down, still think we will find that next step up the ladder.
Cronulla have a shit easy draw while ours is horrendous especially the final 6 rounds.I hope I’m wrong but we won’t qualify for the 8.

magpie_man

Juniors
We have a pretty tough run home:

Warriors
Newcastle
Canterbury
Easts
Penrith
Manly
Souths
Melbourne
Parramatta

4 x Top 4 teams
+ 2 x Top 8 teams

By my estimates, we need to win 5/9.
I can't see us beating Penrith, Easts or Melbourne so we'll have to snag the 5 wins from the other 6 fixtures.
Not impossible, but the next 3 are must-wins imo.

Tiger Ted

Bench
We have a pretty tough run home:

Warriors
Newcastle
Canterbury
Easts
Penrith
Manly
Souths
Melbourne
Parramatta

4 x Top 4 teams
+ 2 x Top 8 teams

By my estimates, we need to win 5/9.
I can't see us beating Penrith, Easts or Melbourne so we'll have to snag the 5 wins from the other 6 fixtures.
Not impossible, but the next 3 are must-wins imo.
Was thinking the same re the next 3.Due to Cronullas much easier draw we may need to win 6 out of the 10.Had saints won last nite I was thinking 5 more would’ve got us in.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Was thinking the same re the next 3.Due to Cronullas much easier draw we may need to win 6 out of the 10.Had saints won last nite I was thinking 5 more would’ve got us in.

The sharks are trash, however similar to Souths what they have going for them is that they dont lose to bottom 4 sides, and often put them away. Their draw is farcical. Play Dragons, Titans, Warriors, Cowboys and Penrith twice. Honestly did Paul Gallen do the draw? Meanwhile we get 3 top 4 sides, a top 8 and then 1 rubbish side twice

The Titans loss will likely cost us a top 8 spot

Latest posts