What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 14-12 South Sydney @ Suncorp

Grand Final: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 53 51.5%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 50 48.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reflector

Juniors
On another note - I don't know about other non-QLD Panthers or Rabbitohs fans, but I'm fluctuating between being pumped to watch my team play in another GF and burning over the fact I can't be there to witness it in person! Certainly some very mixed emotions.
Indeed it's a shame that for the first time in some years we have a decider between two clubs from diehard RL areas with big junior leagues + great support in their respective regions, yet the game itself isn't accessible to their fans and we won't see the winning players going back to celebrate with the trophy at a packed leagues club.

When the GF returns to Sydney, it would be absolutely typical if it reverts back to a procession of GF contestants with atomised supporter bases/ SFA junior RL numbers in their home territory again...

lockyno1

Post Whore
Back to June 30, no idea why they had to have a 5 week extension this year. Last year was understandable because the comp was put back.

Least that is somewhat okay. This year was stupid. I don’t blame Penrith or TPJ but it was a joke and completely against what should happen. Luckily he injured himself so he’s not playing.

Canard

Immortal
Was this reduction to 75% capacity mean?

Are people going to have their tickets cancelled? Or were 25% tickets not sold?

BxTom

Bench
Indeed it's a shame that for the first time in some years we have a decider between two clubs from diehard RL areas with big junior leagues + great support in their respective regions, yet the game itself isn't accessible to their fans and we won't see the winning players going back to celebrate with the trophy at a packed leagues club.

When the GF returns to Sydney, it would be absolutely typical if it reverts back to a procession of GF contestants with atomised supporter bases/ SFA junior RL numbers in their home territory again...
It's also ironic that for years Queensland wanted a GF played there and now that it will be, there are no Queensland teams.

yobbo84

First Grade
I don't care what they do. Play it at an empty stadium. Play it on a cow paddock. Just don't postpone it - that only benefits the Panthers and reduces the advantage Souths earnt having the week off.

Jordan

Juniors
Sounds like some grand final players went to Byron and were denied entry into QLD. Huge news.

BxTom

Bench
I would have thought that the game would be close. I don't understand why Bennett is using the media to make excuses for a loss. I always thought he had more confidence in his teams...

yobbo84

First Grade
The premier who at every turn has criticised NSW for not locking down 'hard and fast' is doing everything she can to avoid locking down 'hard and fast' due to GF $$$$.

Reflector

Juniors
It's also ironic that for years Queensland wanted a GF played there and now that it will be, there are no Queensland teams.
2020 AFL GF- played in Brisbane. Between two Victorian teams
2021 AFL GF- played in Perth. Between two Victorian teams
2021 NRL GF- played in Brisbane. Between two NSW teams.

If the roles were reversed and two non-NSW teams made the GF in Sydney at the end of a season where the Maroons had inflicted a record thrashing in 2 games in NSW, we'd never hear the end of it.

Pashun.

PENRITH!!!

The_Frog

First Grade
Everyone please note:
Souths and Bennett are angels who have never and will never do anything against the rules and spirit of the game and are now the NRL police against such acts!
Vlandys and co must be so impressed that the Rabbitohs have dumped this in their lap on the eve of the GF, in respect of a match that didn't involve them. Looks a lot like they are leaving it alone for the time being, not even a comment. What seems likely is that it'll be a job for the work experience kid over the summer to go through replays for all 16 teams and count how many times trainers of teams in possession enter the field per match, to see just how widespread it is, before taking any action whatsoever. I notice NRL360, god bless em, did precisely this for one club only yesterday. I suspect it is very widespread across every one of the 16 clubs.

Last edited:

yobbo84

First Grade

“Russ messaged me and said, ‘You’re still a big part of the group and the club – we consider you the Prince of Redfern and want you to have the honour of ringing the bell.’ ” Luke told the Herald.

“The last person to do that is Bob McCarthy and he’s a legend. To be amongst that group, I’m truly grateful and humbled. I’ve always bled red and green. I followed the club, even when I left.”

The NRL has also granted Luke his request to be retired as a Rabbitohs player at the official NRL ceremony on grand final day, despite finishing his career at the Broncos this year.'

“This would be an honourable moment for me,” Luke said. “To go out and retire as a Rabbitoh, the NRL granted my request to be seen out as a Rabbitoh. I’m going to have Rabbitohs players honoring me, that’s very special.”

What a legend, Bully!!

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im really flip flopping between who I want to win, or really its who I want to lose more. So I'm putting together a list:

Pros in Penrith losing:
* Ivan will be sad and potentially have a complete mental break down over Bennett smiling
* Every year penrith don't win it Gould becomes less able to take credit for a Premiership
* Latrell Mitchell will probably have another massive sook on social media about not playing
* Souths fans dont get to go to the game and enjoy it properly
* Souths windown ends this season so they wont win it again anytime soon
* I'll be happy for Benji
* Teams that lose 2 GFs in a row then become AIDS for the next few years (Easts 03/04, Saints 92/93, Balmain 88/89)

Pros in Souths losing:
* Russell Crowe will cry and likley blame the referees
* We won't have to listen to Gould go on about how Penrith were actually the better team for the next 12 months
* Penrith will probably win one with this squad at some stage, and LOL@ their fans not being able to celebrate it properly due to lockdown
* The two times Penrith won a comp they've then been completely irrelevant for the next decade
* The media won't have all off season saying 'I cant believe the Tigers let Benji go'
* Souths will still have 1 comp in the last 50 years and wont be adding to it anytime soon
* I dont find the Panthers team anywhere near as unlikable as they were last year
* I can say we beat the Premiers
* Dylan Edwards winning a comp gives hope to all the kids plying their trade in the 12Ds that they can still make it

From my observations Souths fans seem fairly relaxed whilst Panthers fans are nervous. Funnily enough this is mirrored by their coaches.

I just hope its entertaining. I dont buy the games are good just becuase they are close. The Panthers/Storm game was absolute dogshit quality and only exciting in the last 4 minutes because it was close and a final. The Eels/Panthers game was ordinary too but slightly better viewing.

Ultimately I'm tipping Penrith something like 14-12. This was said for another game but my big hope is that its a controversial game with the better team losing due to a dud bunker call in the last minute.

Last edited: