What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Host cities and venues

adamkungl

Immortal
Host cities/towns announced tomorrow. I don't know if stadiums will be announced (?) but it should be fairly straightforward to figure out regardless.

"A big focus on cities"
"80% in the North but there will be a significant London footprint"

Expecting 25 games in the North and 6 split between London and Coventry.

Who will it be?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I understood that there's 14 venues which are culled from the 16 announced two years ago.

London: Wembley & Olympic
Manchester: Old Trafford & Etihad
Liverpool: Anfield
Newcastle: St. James' Park
Coventry: Ricoh Arena
Hull: KCOM Stadium
Leeds: Headingley
St Helens: Langtree Park
Doncaster: Keepmoat
Warrington: Halliwell Jones
Wigan: DW
Huddersfield: John Smith's

The other two shortlisted in 2016 were Bramall Lane in Sheffield & the new Cornwall Stadium in Threemilestone but that hasn't even broken ground yet, so I can't see that one getting a gig.

I presume Wembley will host the final.

Pommy

Coach
I understood that there's 14 venues which are culled from the 16 announced two years ago.

London: Wembley & Olympic
Manchester: Old Trafford & Etihad
Liverpool: Anfield
Newcastle: St. James' Park
Coventry: Ricoh Arena
Hull: KCOM Stadium
Leeds: Headingley
St Helens: Langtree Park
Doncaster: Keepmoat
Warrington: Halliwell Jones
Wigan: DW
Huddersfield: John Smith's

The other two shortlisted in 2016 were Bramall Lane in Sheffield & the new Cornwall Stadium in Threemilestone but that hasn't even broken ground yet, so I can't see that one getting a gig.

I presume Wembley will host the final.

I wouldn’t have thought Wembley would have the final as they have said it will be focused on the northern powerhouse. My guess is Anfield or Old Trafford for the final.

adamkungl

Immortal
I wouldn’t have thought Wembley would have the final as they have said it will be focused on the northern powerhouse. My guess is Anfield or Old Trafford for the final.

Yeah. Agree with this.
Hopefully there are 3 or so quality games in London though. 1 pool, 1 QF, 1 SF would be great. Incl an England pool game.

Old Trafford should host the final.

I've got this penciled in for a holiday but life might get in the way, too far out to know

roughyedspud

Coach
Just a brief summary..until it all gets written up..

Newcastle hosts the opening game with england

Anfield has the "marquee" 1/4 final..with England I assume.

The emirates,arsenals ground has a double header semi....major shock that.

Old Trafford has the final..

Pommy

Coach
Just a brief summary..until it all gets written up..

Newcastle hosts the opening game with england

Anfield has the "marquee" 1/4 final..with England I assume.

The emirates,arsenals ground has a double header semi....major shock that.

Old Trafford has the final..

Anything for Tottenham? I heard they had bid and their new stadium looks to be amazing?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
NORTH-WEST

Bolton
– The University of Bolton Stadium will host two men’s games, including an England group game and quarter-final.

Liverpool – Anfield will host the marquee quarter-final tie along with the women’s opening ceremony and initial England game. M&S Bank Arena Liverpool will host the wheelchair Rugby League final.

Preston – First training base to be revealed.

St Helens – The Totally Wicked Stadium will host three men’s group games.

Trafford – Old Trafford will host both the men’s and women’s finals as a double-header event.

Warrington – The Halliwell Jones Stadium will host three men’s group games.

Wigan and Leigh – Leigh Sports Village will host three men’s group games

WEST MIDLANDS

Coventry – The Ricoh Arena will host one men’s game.

YORKSHIRE

Doncaster – Club Doncaster will host three men’s group games.

Kirklees – The John Smiths Stadium will host a men’s quarter-final.

Hull – The KCOM Stadium will host two men’s games, including a quarter-final.

Leeds – Hosting more games than any other city, Elland Road will host a men’s semi-final and Emerald Headingley Stadium will host three men’s games and two women’s games.

Sheffield – Bramall Lane will host an England men’s group game. The EIS Sheffield will host a group and both semi-finals in the wheelchair tournament.

York – The Community Stadium will host a women’s group game and both women’s semi-finals.

NORTH-EAST

Middlesbrough – The Riverside Stadium will host a significant men’s group game.

Newcastle – St James’ Park will host the opening England men’s group game including the men’s opening ceremony

WEST CUMBRIA

Allerdale – The Workington Community Stadium will host three men’s group games.

LONDON

London – The Emirates Stadium will host a men’s semi-final. The Copper Box Arena will host the England group in the wheelchair tournament.

http://rlif.com/article/8562/hosts-announced-for-rugby-league-world-cup-

Pommy

Coach
I know people will say that’s not very ambitious but it has the potential to draw some very good crowds.
It’s also worth noting a devolved English body has stumped up a lot of the cash which meant the games couldn’t be taken out of England.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Part of the conditions of the government grant was that a vast majority (80%) of games where held in the "northern powerhouse".....a wanky name for a government scheme to boost the economy of "the north"

The quarter finals are going to be embarrassing again. Have group matches then straight into the semi finals. 8 teams in the tournament IMO.

Springs09

Juniors
Its 10000000 more ambitious than the last World Cup.

Than 2017 yes, for 2013 no.

Final - Old Trafford
Semi-Finals - Leeds Elland Road, London Emirates
Quarter-Finals - Anfield (England), Huddersfield, Hull, Bolton

Pools -
Newcastle x1 (Opening Ceremony/England)
St Helens x3
Bolton x1 (England)
Warrington x3
Leigh x3
Doncaster x3
Coventry x1
Leeds Headingley x3
Sheffield x1 (England)
Hull x1
Middlesbrough x1
Workington x3

Pros
- No Semi Double Header and both are in big stadiums
- Venues for England games show some ambition, particularly Anfield for a quarter, and go to some new-ish areas
- Plenty of games in the north as they said
- Opening ceremony in Newcastle
- QFs all in 25,000+ stadiums

Cons
- No Wembley
- 6 games are in stadiums that hold no more than 10k and 6 more in 15k stadiums
- Shortlist was bullshit, why even release it?
- More games in Leigh, Workington, Doncaster than Huddersfield, Hull, Wigan etc

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Absolutely delighted with these choices but it wouldn’t be RL without a good old moan in that I don’t get Middlesbrough getting a game and Doncaster getting 3.

Swap York for Middlesbrough and maybe give Newcastle one of Doncaster’s 3 games.

roughyedspud

Coach
Absolutely delighted with these choices but it wouldn’t be RL without a good old moan in that I don’t get Middlesbrough getting a game and Doncaster getting 3.

Swap York for Middlesbrough and maybe give Newcastle one of Doncaster’s 3 games.

Middlesbrough is a weird one I'll grant you that.....but doncaster is in abit of a golden triangle...pretty much equal distance between Leeds,hull & Manchester....and it's a cracking ground for RL

Latest posts