What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Doesn't look as good on the players IMO

Etbo_qPVcAAmLQ3

yakstorm

First Grade
Doesn't look as good on the players IMO

Etbo_qPVcAAmLQ3

It's significantly better than their last attempt at re-creating it:
images

And being honest, the original jersey wasn't that great, but just like the Rabbitohs hoops and Cowboys cow horns, it does scream Manly.

images

GAZF

First Grade
True... which ones weren't?
Broncos - diamonds, nuff said
Dogs - close, but 2014 was better
Cowboys - dated but a product of its time
Dragons - one of the worst iterations of the red V
Eels - wasn't 95 the year they switched to the gradient striping?
Knights - they hadn't switched to the vertical stripes yet, so no
Panthers - prefer what they currently have
Rabbitohs - good, but the hoop meeting the v neck collar always looked odd
Raiders - great
Roosters - great jersey, shit logo
Sea-Eagles - Pepsi ad
Sharks - hoop was marginally crooked
Balmain Sydney Tigers - yeesh
Warriors - very nice, though last year's shades were better and brighter
Magpies - great
Crushers - best they ever had, also worst they ever had
Reds - worst they ever had
Seagulls - best they ever had, period
Steelers - great
Bears - black/red hoops or gtfo

Conclusion: solid set of designs, a year or two before clubs started going wild with sublimation. There might be more good designs in 95 than in other seasons (debatable), but there were also a shit load more teams. I'd argue that previous decades had better designs on average. Hard to compare a 12 team league to a 20 team one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
one of the Best looking Jerseys in the comp for mine, & it's not just because I'm an eels fan.
It absolutely is because you're an Eels fan.

This is the same design as the last couple of seasons, except worse, because it looks like Macron's template is just patches of fabric sewn together - and barely even the right colours?

sempmrh

Juniors
The Eels jersey is definitely a good design but the Macron version is a huge downgrade due to the template. I would like to see one in person, though - but that's basically next to impossible due to living in Victoria.

Phil Mann Stand

Juniors
It absolutely is because you're an Eels fan.

This is the same design as the last couple of seasons, except worse, because it looks like Macron's template is just patches of fabric sewn together - and barely even the right colours?

Sadly I agree. Different shades of blue due to the different fabrics on various parts of the jersey. And Macron do love patches. And in my opinion the neckline looks ridiculous. I'll have to see a retail version in the flesh to see if my opinion will change.

yakstorm

First Grade
Conclusion: solid set of designs, a year or two before clubs started going wild with sublimation. There might be more good designs in 95 than in other seasons (debatable), but there were also a shit load more teams. I'd argue that previous decades had better designs on average. Hard to compare a 12 team league to a 20 team one.

Agree with the above. I think people remember 95 fondly simply because a lot of clubs made a lot of bad choices not long afterwards when it came to jersey design, and it was an extremely positive period for the game (before the war really settled in).

It definitely helped at the time that it was relatively prohibitive for clubs to do anything too crazy with designs (outside of the Diamonds), most major sponsors were well integrated and the clubs wore their main kit the majority of the time (and their alternates were generally just the home with the colours flipped).

Just on the Broncos, at the time, whilst their 'alternate' in 95 was a bit out there, their main was very solid.

images

Patorick

Staff member
Dare say most of the current graphic designers and decision makers at club marketing levels grew up and were heavily influenced by the 1990s designs. From when they started watching league and falling in love with it. Was a great time to be a fan (just at a jersey level).

hellteam

First Grade
Agree with the above. I think people remember 95 fondly simply because a lot of clubs made a lot of bad choices not long afterwards when it came to jersey design, and it was an extremely positive period for the game (before the war really settled in).

It definitely helped at the time that it was relatively prohibitive for clubs to do anything too crazy with designs (outside of the Diamonds), most major sponsors were well integrated and the clubs wore their main kit the majority of the time (and their alternates were generally just the home with the colours flipped).

Just on the Broncos, at the time, whilst their 'alternate' in 95 was a bit out there, their main was very solid.

images

I'd agree with those comments.

Think the collars were a great look as well, that makes me prefer them over the 80s jerseys designs, many had the V neck style.

90s jersey are very expensive these days

sempmrh

Juniors
I like the idea of faux traditional collars but I don’t think we’ve seen one yet that properly nails the look. The collar on the new ASICS Broncos jersey isn’t a bad attempt.

chiefy1

Juniors
Sadly I agree. Different shades of blue due to the different fabrics on various parts of the jersey. And Macron do love patches. And in my opinion the neckline looks ridiculous. I'll have to see a retail version in the flesh to see if my opinion will change.

The collar could be improved on the eels Jersey definitely.

The Dynasty made Jersey collars look good imo.

20210208_115720.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-115508_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210208-115508_Chrome.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: