What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QF 2 Sat - Penrith 10-16 South Sydney @ QCBS

Finals Week 1: Penrith v South Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • South Sydney Rabbitohs

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chrisD

Coach
The Panthers were hardly impressive in last year's finals. Yes they're a better side now, but they snuck a win by 1 point against a fading Roosters who got belted by 60 the week prior, only just beat a depleted Souths by a try (and saved by an Adam Reynolds toenail), and then got belted by the Storm in the GF.

They'll certainly have a point to prove and I think this'll be the match of the round.
Lost by 6, scored the same amount of tries. Belted.

Jim Rockford

Bench
They'll certainly have a point to prove and I think this'll be the match of the round.
They certainly will. After 2 years of dominating the regular season, if they can't win the GF this year they will have officially established themselves as the biggest chokers of all-time.

chrisD

Coach
0-26 after 46 minutes, but sure, a couple of late tries if it makes you feel better.
Rugby league games don't go for 46 minutes or for as long as you need them to in order to make up a dumb narrative, they go 80. As I said, lost by 6, scored the same amount of tries. Try again.

yobbo84

First Grade
Rugby league games don't go for 46 minutes or for as long as you need them to in order to make up a dumb narrative, they go 80. As I said, lost by 6, scored the same amount of tries. Try again.
No worries Gus.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Tipping the smug to win the premiership... I feel the Storm have too many cooks in the kitchen and will crumble and Manly rely too much on 1 player. Souths can't win it without Latrell, they are a long shot with him anyway.
I wish I was as confident as you are. I think Storm are a lock.

yobbo84

First Grade
Chokers?? Pretty sure there is a club that has made the last 3 years Preliminary Finals - 1 game away from the Grand Final and exited. Glass houses.
st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Valheru

Coach
It's never a good look to lose 3 prelims in a row. However souths were the away team in all 3 of those matches.

Probably the 2019 one was their best chance but that atmosphere in Canberra that day was going to be tough for any team.

It probably just shows how important winning the qualifying final is with 14 out of the 18 winners since this system was re-introduced in 2012 getting to the GF.

For those playing along at home only 2 losing qualifying finalists have reached the GF with the other 2 teams being from outside the top 4. Although no home games this year might make it a different beast.

yobbo84

First Grade
It's never a good look to lose 3 prelims in a row. However souths were the away team in all 3 of those matches.

Probably the 2019 one was their best chance but that atmosphere in Canberra that day was going to be tough for any team.

It probably just shows how important winning the qualifying final is with 14 out of the 18 winners since this system was re-introduced in 2021 getting to the GF. Although no home games this year might make it a different beast.
2018 is the one that got away. A one point loss to Storm in week 1 when Anthony Seibold in all his genius only used 15 players, and then in the prelim we couldn't direct any traffic at a one-armed Cronk. Not once in that finals seriees did we use 17 players. Was infuriating. Oh well.

Jim Rockford

Bench
The point (that went straight over that Penriff fans head) is that Penriff have a much better season record than Souths had the years we lost. When you are that dominant throughout the regular season and don't cap it off with a Premiership, you have choked BIG TIME.

chrisD

Coach
Claiming Penrith weren't belted in the GF because the margin was only 6 in the end is the same as claiming parra weren't belted in the 01 GF which coincidentally was the same margin.
Claiming anyone was belted by 6 is like believing you can just make up meaning of words on the fly as it suits yourself.

Fangs

Coach
You know who the good guys are when Souffs and Roosters fans are finding common ground.

Lets hope for the good of the game the Panthers obliterate their opposition on the weekend.

Munky

Coach
Claiming Penrith weren't belted in the GF because the margin was only 6 in the end is the same as claiming parra weren't belted in the 01 GF which coincidentally was the same margin.

This is my take.

The first try we were given was an absolute howler with a clear obstruction in the lead up and I doubt it would have been awarded if we weren't 26 points down.

Smug Panther

First Grade
This is my take.

The first try we were given was an absolute howler with a clear obstruction in the lead up and I doubt it would have been awarded if we weren't 26 points down.
Smith's "try" was just as bad. So that's even

yobbo84

First Grade
Anyway - my point of all this is that this version of the Panthers have yet to have a commanding finals performance, and I think they'll come out fired up with a point to prove. If anything, it's a complement.

The last meeting between our two sides was a very good game of football and I just hope we get a referee that lets the teams sort it out. If the Panthers are too good, so be it.