2021 Qualifiers

Discussion in 'World Cup 2021' started by Foreign Legion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Western_Eel

Western_Eel Juniors

its pretty simple really,
    if you cant take time off to play international RL then dont play international RL

Springs09 likes this.
  2. Western_Eel

Western_Eel Juniors

does anyone know where the cook island v USA game be held?
    it would be interesting to see how many Australian and NZ based players would be in the cooks team if it was in Jacksonville

3. Force

Force Juniors

Well it was a different story when you didnt think it was fair if the Cooks beat the US with a bunch of heritage players yet turned a blind eye to the Jamaican team full of heritage players who just beat them.

4. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Juniors

I don't think it is a good result for any heritage team to beat a nation that uses actual citizens to make the world cup. I've made this comment several times on here about Jamaica. I don't think it is the best thing for the game that English Jamaica will be at the world cup and the USA team won't be.

I do however hope that the momentum created by the English Jamaicans will push the game to greater heights in Jamaica so that next time we see more Jamaican domestic products play for their national team.

langpark likes this.
  5. siv

siv Bench

The issue is not heritage v non heritage players

But standard

Now that Jamaica have raised the bar its time for everyone in North America to work on stepping up.

At some point in time a professional league will need to be setup to rival ESL or QLD Cup

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  6. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

Is it likely Qatar will qualify for the FIFA version before they host it?

7. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

But how many North American people who would attend a NA WC would know or care if the USA played in the previous event? More NA people would attend than any other nationalities rugby fans or not, if it’s done properly if at all.

8. greenBV4

greenBV4 Juniors

Hawaii would be a good half-way-between location, doubt it though

9. Pommy

Pommy Coach

No although most Quataris probably know what football is.

More likely to be somewhere with a RL presence already

10. langpark

langpark First Grade

Are any of the "WC in North America" advocates not alarmed by the (lack of) crowds at these games in Jacksonville? There seemed to be less than 50 people in the stands on both days. This is in Jacksonville, the supposed RL capital of the USA!

It's a genuine question, I never supported the WC going to America in 2025, so I'd like to see what those that did support it think of this.

11. langpark

langpark First Grade

Are any of the "WC in North America" advocates not alarmed by the (lack of) crowds at these games in Jacksonville? There seemed to be less than 50 people in the stands on both days. This is in Jacksonville, the supposed RL capital of the USA!

It's a genuine question, I never supported the WC going to America in 2025, so I'd like to see what those that did support it think of this.

12. Springs09

Springs09 Juniors

No World Cup Qualifiers are never well attended. Crowds in Australia and England for qualifiers are rubbish as well.

But after Moore Sports couldn't follow through on their word for the Denver Test and subsequently got it scrapped I no longer support the 2025 WC being in the US, especially with nothing announced for the next 4 years to grow the international game's profile there.

The original plan was surprisingly progressive for RL - the Denver Tests and a planned international tournament and other countries keen to take tests there, plus Toronto and the apparent interest of other American parties in entering a team in the British system.

13. Force

Force Juniors

Tell that to the Red wave of Tongan supporters. They have been the highlight of International Rugby league since last year. They have made the international game more interesting because they are able to compete with the top teams with their top players available to them instead of being slaughtered with a half-arsed team..

14. deluded pom?

deluded pom? First Grade

So according to you lots of Americans who know little if anything about RL will be outraged because the USA never made the 2021 WC but the Qataris who know well what football is, couldn’t care less that Qatar never played at the previous WC to them hosting it. Talk about arguing with yourself!

15. Pommy

Pommy Coach

What?

My point was USA in 2021 would hopefully lead to a better awareness of the sport. No idea what your post is a reference too.

16. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Juniors

I've repeatedly made the case that Tonga and Samoa are the exception due to their extremely low populations. They will always use heratige players and good for them.

17. Force

Force Juniors

Yeah...but you say different for the Cook Islands who are in the same boat ie, heritage players etc...

18. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Juniors

Where have I said different for the Cook Islands? They are in exactly the same boat, if not worse than Tonga and Samoa because even their native-born players are also New Zealand citizens.

19. Force

Force Juniors

Meh....they're one in the same. Trying to nit-pick citizenship wont change it.

20. Pommy

Pommy Coach