What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

Nuke

Staff member
Fulltime: Serbia 28-20 over Spain.
Serbia needed to win by 14 to jump from last into first in the pool (with the top 2 progressing). Russia, after last week's win over Serbia were already guaranteed a spot.
A late try to Spain meant they only lost by 8 points, thus saving them from finishing last, and meaning they will progress through to the next level along with Russia.

Serbia 28: 5 tries, 4 goals
Spain 20: 3 tries, 4 goals

adamkungl

Immortal
Fulltime: Serbia 28-20 over Spain.
Serbia needed to win by 14 to jump from last into first in the pool (with the top 2 progressing). Russia, after last week's win over Serbia were already guaranteed a spot.
A late try to Spain meant they only lost by 8 points, thus saving them from finishing last, and meaning they will progress through to the next level along with Russia.

Serbia 28: 5 tries, 4 goals
Spain 20: 3 tries, 4 goals

Youve got it 28-20
I had it 24-18
Official score was announced 24-20

quality

good write up here.
https://philcaplan.wordpress.com/20...rld-cup-trail-as-serbia-are-relegated-report/

Serbia were very much improved over their Moscow disappointment but in the closing stages needed to play smart. Sloppy discipline cost them, allowing Spain the late try.

Special note to the Spanish number 14 who collapsed midway through the 2nd half. Looked scary - passed out seemingly untouched and had CPR performed by medical staff. Eventually 10 mins later carried off the field.

adamkungl

Immortal
Topping the group should matter. If the seedlings are sane, the top of group B should quite rightly be in a strong position to qualify for 2021.

The final European tournament will have 6 entrants in 2 pools of 3, with 2 from each pool going on to the Cup.
Italy
3rd and 4th from Euro A.
1st and 2nd from Euro B.
1st from Euro C.

So the correct seeding that gives a fair advantage to higher ranked nations from the previous tournaments is:
Pool 1: Italy, A4, B2
Pool 2: A3, B1, C1

Any other method would disadvantage nations for finishing higher in a tournament.
It's pretty easy to see why being in the A3 or B1 positions is better

Some clarification from the RLEF twitter account on this.

The 3rd and 4th ranking teams from Euro A will be '1st seeds'
Italy and Russia (as winners of Euro B) will be '2nd seeds'
Spain and the winner of Euro C Greece or Norway will be '3rd seeds'

So the likely pooling is same as above (slightly reordered)
Pool 1: A4, Italy, Spain
Pool 2: A3, Russia, Greece/Norway

For finishing higher A3 should get the 'easier' group, the one without Italy.
Spain and Russia should be in opposite groups to avoid a repeat game, and Spain also should get the easier group.

One of Russia, Greece, Norway will be appearing at 2021 RLWC.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
On a side note, get around Spain!
first international game in 2014. Their website now lists 20 clubs throughout their A, B, and 4 regional competitions.
Their national squad is a mix of local domestic players with a few FR Elite One players.
AND FC Barcelona will be hosting Catalans Dragons V Wigan next year

Huge rise in a short amount of time.

Serbia on the other hand... most international fans have them as the most promising emerging nation. I had them pencilled in for 2021. Now not only will they be a no-show at 2021 but next time around they'll have to work their way through the qualifiers from C level, as this loss relegates them.

The relegation thing is a bit odd. Seems to me like it would be preferable to leave them and build the B level tournament to a 4 nations by adding Greece/Norway. A 4 Nations tournament is logistically superior to a 3N, gives teams an extra week to build their performances, and has less chance of 3 teams finishing on equal wins.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
More questions!

Are there any NRL or SL players with Spanish heritage? Russian?

How many heritage players will be allowed at the final qualification tournament?

Will the RLIF ensure these nations and games are given the attention they deserve?

morningstar

Juniors
Some clarification from the RLEF twitter account on this.

The 3rd and 4th ranking teams from Euro A will be '1st seeds'
Italy and Spain (as winners of Euro B) will be '2nd seeds'
Russia and the winner of Euro C Greece or Norway will be '3rd seeds'

So the likely pooling is same as above (slightly reordered)
Pool 1: A4, Italy, Russia
Pool 2: A3, Spain, Greece/Norway

Nice work Adam. Aren’t Russia 2nd seeds though as Group B winners?

2019 qualifiers will be awesome.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nice work Adam. Aren’t Russia 2nd seeds though as Group B winners?

2019 qualifiers will be awesome.

Oh shit you're right. Somehow I had it in my head that Spain topped the group. Sorry it was late here! Edited.

That dulls my excitement for Spain somewhat

adamkungl

Immortal
you'd think greece would go through with heritage players. whoever does will be pumped at the WC.

Doesn't matter. We have to get away from the idea that no one should get flogged at the World Cup. Wasn't so long ago that Japan was getting 100s on them in the Union event. Now they're playing professionally and causing major upsets

Do you think the qualification finals will be heritage limited?

Last edited:

morningstar

Juniors
RLEF statement from earlier in the year was pretty adamant that it would.

Hopeully nobody pulls a Tonga 08...

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1516

A resolution proposed by Wales Rugby League and seconded by the Federation Française de Rugby a XIII was carried 30 votes-to-nil which will see the minimum number of domestic quota players increase from two in a 17-man-squad to four, effective immediately. The resolution will apply to all levels of the European Championship and any future official tournament within the RLEF’s jurisdiction.

morningstar

Juniors
That dulls my excitement for Spain somewhat

Agreed lots of potential in Spain, but International RL has been shafted by fate/chance since Albert Baskerville died on the way back from the All Golds Tour...we should all be used to it by now!

Russia, Greece or Norway all bring something if they make it though.

Rooting for Norway myself. Complete underdogs, debutant if they make it and not propped up by an Australasian diaspora.

jim_57

Staff member
Would quite like to see Russia in a world cup. The game still being alive there seems to have been a victory in itself, a World Cup may not change much but it could open up some possibilities, who knows.

langpark

First Grade
The rules are:

Group C: max. 4 heritage players
Group B: max. 7 heritage players
Group A: (which is essentially now the next phase) you can have up to 15, so basically only 2 domestics.

I have to say, I've been following Serbia very closely for nearly 15 years now, and Spain since their inception, and I am in shock. Exactly two years ago, these two teams played in Valencia, and Serbia won 64-4! Who would have thought things could change so much in just 2 years!!

The Serbs will be hurting after this. I just hope they don't get disheartened, I hope it has the opposite effect and makes them even more determined than ever to succeed now!

jim_57

Staff member
The rules are:

Group C: max. 4 heritage players
Group B: max. 7 heritage players
Group A: (which is essentially now the next phase) you can have up to 15, so basically only 2 domestics.

I have to say, I've been following Serbia very closely for nearly 15 years now, and Spain since their inception, and I am in shock. Exactly two years ago, these two teams played in Valencia, and Serbia won 64-4! Who would have thought things could change so much in just 2 years!!

The Serbs will be hurting after this. I just hope they don't get disheartened, I hope it has the opposite effect and makes them even more determined than ever to succeed now!

I'm surprised Serbia still got the victory to be honest. Difference between the 2 results you mention would be mostly down to Spain adding more players from Elite.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Sounds like Spain actually has a healthy domestic league unlike most emerging countries, 20 teams is a great result. Let’s hope they make the cup!.

Thanks to everyone for the information on the European qualifiers, very interesting.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Would quite like to see Russia in a world cup. The game still being alive there seems to have been a victory in itself, a World Cup may not change much but it could open up some possibilities, who knows.

Exactly, Russia should be a high priority for help as the game has been played there since around 1991.

adamkungl

Immortal
Exactly, Russia should be a high priority for help as the game has been played there since around 1991.

Russia is an odd one. They don't seem to engage much with the wider League world, as far as I can tell. Which I think limits their ability to improve.

Russia Spain and Greece/Norway will all have their work cut out for them in the finals. If I'm involved in any of them, I'm right now trying to bring in a foreign coaching consultant, lining up mid-year tests vs higher quality opposition (USA, Canada, Lebanon, Cook Islands), digging up any heritage players that can be found in more established countries. Every advantage will help.

jim_57

Staff member
Russia is an odd one. They don't seem to engage much with the wider League world, as far as I can tell. Which I think limits their ability to improve.

Russia Spain and Greece/Norway will all have their work cut out for them in the finals. If I'm involved in any of them, I'm right now trying to bring in a foreign coaching consultant, lining up mid-year tests vs higher quality opposition (USA, Canada, Lebanon, Cook Islands), digging up any heritage players that can be found in more established countries. Every advantage will help.

Yeh they always seemed to live in their own little bubble. Language barrier would be a big one I guess, no point bring in an English/Australian coach if nobody can understand them.

I think they definitely need some outside help, trying to get some players to Australia or England to play, even at amatuer level would help get the ball rolling. Or who knows, one of those big name clubs they have may be interested in trying the English leagues if we're really dreaming.

siv

First Grade
Consider holding the RLWC in Russia and watch the government pour millions into the game

They now have lots of stadia

Nuke

Staff member
Youve got it 28-20
I had it 24-18
Official score was announced 24-20

quality

good write up here.
https://philcaplan.wordpress.com/20...rld-cup-trail-as-serbia-are-relegated-report/

Serbia were very much improved over their Moscow disappointment but in the closing stages needed to play smart. Sloppy discipline cost them, allowing Spain the late try.

Special note to the Spanish number 14 who collapsed midway through the 2nd half. Looked scary - passed out seemingly untouched and had CPR performed by medical staff. Eventually 10 mins later carried off the field.
I'm pretty confident I've got it correct, despite the 'official' scoreline!
In the absence of an on-screen scoreboard and timeclock, I was marking down who scored and how all game.
The order in which the teams scored is:

Serbia: try, conversion. Serbia 6-0
Spain: penalty goal. Serbia 6-2
Spain: try, conversion. Spain 8-6
Serbia: try, conversion. Serbia 12-8
Spain: try, conversion. Spain 14-12
Serbia; try, conversion. Serbia 18-14
----
halftime
----
Serbia: try, conversion. Serbia 24-14
Serbia: try. Serbia 28-14
Spain: try, conversion. Serbia 28-20
----
fulltime
----

I don't have the times that they scored as, like I said, there was no timeclock visible and I didn't think to mark that down until it was too late!

That goalkicker from Serbia's a bit of a sharpshooter too! A lot of the tries were scored out wide and he nailed nearly every attempt.