What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
We haven’t gone onto a grand final since 2014, we have faded the past few tries. If this current team can’t win a premiership then I’m all for a clean out and reboot. No point being a Debbie downer and saying it’s a dark time etc. It’s time to embrace the future, and move forward, how many times have people bagged Gagai out for being a shit defender or he only plays good for Qld? I quite like him don’t get me wrong.

Then Sua who goes Mia most games and puts on a few good hits, but ffs he couldn’t even dive on a simple ball to score last week. I’d rather clear out some players, get the cap sorted and rebuild. I’d say Cook will be the next to go.
I pretty much agree with almost all of this, the only thing is I feel a bit of a tug on the heart strings that Reynolds could have been offered a 2 year deal and it not impact negatively on the club.

re: players that are leaving, with the exception of Reynolds, I'm ok with it. None were worth keeping, and the decisions made to not keep them have been justified. Sua was a shrinking violet an no use to our club, Gagai - a year ago most here was saying he needed to take a pay cut if he was to stay on; shame about Mago, but maybe he just doesn't have it in him to be an elite footballer.

If you look at all the guys that Souths have cast aside since 2014, NONE have made much of an impression anywhere else - Hymel Hunt, Fuimaono, Talakai, Av'a, the dude Cronulla got on the wing, Dylan Walker, the Mascot dude that was Walker's mate - nobody.

At the moment, I still trust the front office. I think Reynolds should have been offered 2 years, but I can also see why they haven't. Cook - I didn't realise he's still on the books for another 2 years, but he is on a major decline. No way is he the best hooker in the game, and he's been primarily responsible for the last two PF losses, he completely disappeared in both those games.

Cody is a different story - I've already explained how and why. He MUST be retained beyond next year.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Funny how Handyman is liking some of these comments above, when they are in complete contradiction to his views, and the goes on a massive rant completely arguing against the comments he is liking.
😂

Nafedogg

Juniors
I think Cody is hitting his career best, remember he has only had 5 years in first grade, he hasn’t had the constant body bashing others have. I’d be very surprised if all this is to help keep Cody here long term around the young guys we are bringing in?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The investment in juniors is wasted if their path to first grade is blocked by cast offs from other clubs because we're afraid of dropping away.

Mitchell was signed to play FB for a team with premiership aspirations. Souths are now further from a premiership than they were before his arrival. I'm not blaming Latrell for that but the team hasn't kicked on.
That's not correct.
Last year was Souths' best chance of the three previous years, and Latrell was part of the team for most of the season. And even with Latrell getting injured towards the end, it was still their best chance in the last three years, the way the finals draw panned out.

And they are still a chance this year.
Just further to my original reply, a refresh of memory:

2016 & 2017 we finished 12th with losing records

2018 we finished 3rd with 16-8 record, with Sam injured in the run home, got physically bashed by Melbourne but lost to a Munster field goal, barely beat St.George if not for King Reyno kicking 3 field goals, one in OT, and then had no hope against the Roosters and lost.

2019 we finished 3rd with 16-8 record but a lesser for/against than 2018, got smashed against the Roosters, beat Manly, but then Cook got steamrolled by that sack of s#!+ to knock us out.

2020 - Latrell's first season with us, we played 6 less games, and while we finished 6th, but with a better for/against than the previous 2 years, steamrolled the next two teams, Newcastle and Parra to barely lose by 4 to Penrith, without Latrell.

We'll see how this year finishes up but at 14-3 with 7 games to go, we are on track to have the best season we've had since 2014, maybe better, so I don't know how you can justify your statement saying that we are further away than we've ever been since Latrell arrived. Based on what? A Melbourne game we lost by 50 but had 5 players out, 4 of which are our best 4 in the team? Because Manly beat the Bulldogs by 66, but we won by 8?

We will see when it counts......

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think Cody is hitting his career best, remember he has only had 5 years in first grade, he hasn’t had the constant body bashing others have. I’d be very surprised if all this is to help keep Cody here long term around the young guys we are bringing in?
First statement: 100% agree.
Second statement: who knows, I hope so, but this "one year contracts for over 30s" policy is a bit of a worry....but with Cody it definitely shouldn't be.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs set to face the Dragons in Rockhampton: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/07/23/rabbitohs-set-to-face-the-dragons-in-rockhampton/

Catch you in '22 - Maguire keen for World Cup to be postponed: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/catch-you-in-22-maguire-keen-for-world-cup-to-be-postponed/

Players union blasts Australia and New Zealand's World Cup call: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rugby-...ociation/27addabf-6c39-4f24-84a9-3ce6b0aa2d70

'Cowardly' - Australia and New Zealand withdraw from 2021 Rugby League World Cup: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/austra...orld-cup/d6492215-87fa-4d3e-adf3-12f1cdf12858

NRL in danger of being kicked out of QLD after latest alleged breach: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/601f7a0c8bc3aed86fed83c8223e9478

Queensland government fumes as footage shows families in NRL bubbles flouting COVID-19 protocols: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...koroisau/e485ced5-abfe-4b39-af6e-7a730438d3be

Travitoh

First Grade
Just further to my original reply, a refresh of memory:

2016 & 2017 we finished 12th with losing records

2018 we finished 3rd with 16-8 record, with Sam injured in the run home, got physically bashed by Melbourne but lost to a Munster field goal, barely beat St.George if not for King Reyno kicking 3 field goals, one in OT, and then had no hope against the Roosters and lost.

2019 we finished 3rd with 16-8 record but a lesser for/against than 2018, got smashed against the Roosters, beat Manly, but then Cook got steamrolled by that sack of s#!+ to knock us out.

2020 - Latrell's first season with us, we played 6 less games, and while we finished 6th, but with a better for/against than the previous 2 years, steamrolled the next two teams, Newcastle and Parra to barely lose by 4 to Penrith, without Latrell.

We'll see how this year finishes up but at 14-3 with 7 games to go, we are on track to have the best season we've had since 2014, maybe better, so I don't know how you can justify your statement saying that we are further away than we've ever been since Latrell arrived. Based on what? A Melbourne game we lost by 50 but had 5 players out, 4 of which are our best 4 in the team? Because Manly beat the Bulldogs by 66, but we won by 8?

We will see when it counts......
So you believe Souths are closer to a premiership now than they were 24 months ago?

southsport

First Grade
First statement: 100% agree.
Second statement: who knows, I hope so, but this "one year contracts for over 30s" policy is a bit of a worry....but with Cody it definitely shouldn't be.
I think 30 years of age is more of a ballpark figure than a definite age limit.

handyman2190

Bench
Funny how Handyman is liking some of these comments above, when they are in complete contradiction to his views, and the goes on a massive rant completely arguing against the comments he is liking.
😂
1st of all donkey jockey many of the players you mention are going well,
Hymels been signed and is one of their better backliners, Talakai has been resigned and is a weapon, walker has had his injurys and legals but the last 4 games has shown his game. Ava hasnt been with us for 5 years and plays for noone, so you wouldnt know talent if it reared up and struck you on the nose, you just keep supporting disloyal money grabbing reynolds, ive told you not to talk about me,you and rocky show your dementia by continuing to try stabbing me, i wont mention you F off and dont mention me.

Jim Rockford

Bench
1st of all donkey jockey many of the players you mention are going well,
Hymels been signed and is one of their better backliners, Talakai has been resigned and is a weapon, walker has had his injurys and legals but the last 4 games has shown his game. Ava hasnt been with us for 5 years and plays for noone, so you wouldnt know talent if it reared up and struck you on the nose, you just keep supporting disloyal money grabbing reynolds, ive told you not to talk about me,you and rocky show your dementia by continuing to try stabbing me, i wont mention you F off and dont mention me.
What is it with you and your obsession with donkeys. Like a bit of bestiality eh? Hardly surprising.

handyman2190

Bench
UMMMM, you do know what illiterate means don't you? I'm guessing you don't.
Listen or do you have a touch of altzhimers as well as dementia, im saying stop your stupid nick nakkery and tell ur B chum to stop and i will as well, i rather prefer talking footy with the rest of my true supporter compatriots than all this useless garbage u come up with

Latest posts