What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

southsport

First Grade
I presume we are waiting until after the GF before we make any anouncements, but its frustrating to watch other teams recruiting and not knowing ours
That's what I'm thinking too, I can't imagine the club letting Gagai and Burns go without having someone else lined up.

Nafedogg

Juniors
I find it funny people comparing the Reyno move to Cronk. Cronk left a power club and signed with another power club, Reyno is off to a club in shambles. Also no one knows how we will adapt in the next few years without him, the young guys have shown so much in the little game time they have had! It might be South’s last title shot for abit, but I’d guarantee it’ll be Reynolds last…

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

“What the cap is designed to do” - How Reynolds became a Bronco

The South Sydney Rabbitohs may have been desperate to hang onto star half Adam Reynolds, but the salary cap bit hard.

On the eve of the 2021 NRL grand final, which will be the 31-year-old's final game with the club, South Sydney CEO Blake Solly has told The Daily Telegraph that the Redfern-based outfit simply couldn't get into a bidding war with the Broncos.

It's well-known by this point that South Sydney were unwilling to budge from a one-year deal for Reynolds, who desperately wanted job security for his final contract.

It just so happens that the Broncos, who have fielded an inexperienced roster for much of the last two years without a game manager, were desperate for a player of Reynolds calibre and experience.

“We wanted Adam to stay,” Solly told the publication.

“But we also appreciated that we couldn’t match the security that Adam was seeking.

“There’s no question it was sad.

“His contribution to the club was massive over the years, but we also respected what he wanted at this time of his career, which was longer-term security.

“We tried to find another year (a two-year contract) in the salary cap for Adam, but we couldn’t get there.

“It’s difficult because that is what the cap is designed to do, it’s there to equalise talent in the competition. We’ve had four years at the top and at some point we had to make a hard decision on the offers we could make.

“When the Broncos offered three years, we just couldn’t match that and we wish him and his beautiful family well.”

A 231-game veteran at the Rabbitohs, Reynolds' contract will see him remain with the Broncos until at least the end of 2024. He is joined by other new signings in the form of Kurt Capewell, Brenko Lee and Corey Jensen as the club desperately aim to escape the bottom four in 2022 for the first time since 2019.

Reynolds will slot straight into the halves, a position which was something of a revolving door at times this year for Kevin Walters.

He will likely be joined by Tyson Gamble in the halves, with young gun Tesi Niu to play fullback and the exciting Jake Turpin to play hooker.

The lack of experience at the club has been a thorn in the side for Brisbane, and there is little doubt as to why they chased Reynolds as hard as they did despite the obvious risks associated with his age.
It's understood that with all of Cody Walker, Damien Cook and Latrell Mitchell coming off contract by the end of the 2023 season, re-signing Reynolds for that length of time could have cost the club one or all of the trio.

Walker himself is on the wrong side of 30, however, may have the ability to play on for a longer period given his late first grade debut, while Mitchell and Cook are Origin stars at this point in their careers.

Travitoh

First Grade
From Zero Tackle,

“What the cap is designed to do” - How Reynolds became a Bronco

The South Sydney Rabbitohs may have been desperate to hang onto star half Adam Reynolds, but the salary cap bit hard.

On the eve of the 2021 NRL grand final, which will be the 31-year-old's final game with the club, South Sydney CEO Blake Solly has told The Daily Telegraph that the Redfern-based outfit simply couldn't get into a bidding war with the Broncos.

It's well-known by this point that South Sydney were unwilling to budge from a one-year deal for Reynolds, who desperately wanted job security for his final contract.

It just so happens that the Broncos, who have fielded an inexperienced roster for much of the last two years without a game manager, were desperate for a player of Reynolds calibre and experience.

“We wanted Adam to stay,” Solly told the publication.

“But we also appreciated that we couldn’t match the security that Adam was seeking.

“There’s no question it was sad.

“His contribution to the club was massive over the years, but we also respected what he wanted at this time of his career, which was longer-term security.

“We tried to find another year (a two-year contract) in the salary cap for Adam, but we couldn’t get there.

“It’s difficult because that is what the cap is designed to do, it’s there to equalise talent in the competition. We’ve had four years at the top and at some point we had to make a hard decision on the offers we could make.

“When the Broncos offered three years, we just couldn’t match that and we wish him and his beautiful family well.”

A 231-game veteran at the Rabbitohs, Reynolds' contract will see him remain with the Broncos until at least the end of 2024. He is joined by other new signings in the form of Kurt Capewell, Brenko Lee and Corey Jensen as the club desperately aim to escape the bottom four in 2022 for the first time since 2019.

Reynolds will slot straight into the halves, a position which was something of a revolving door at times this year for Kevin Walters.

He will likely be joined by Tyson Gamble in the halves, with young gun Tesi Niu to play fullback and the exciting Jake Turpin to play hooker.

The lack of experience at the club has been a thorn in the side for Brisbane, and there is little doubt as to why they chased Reynolds as hard as they did despite the obvious risks associated with his age.
It's understood that with all of Cody Walker, Damien Cook and Latrell Mitchell coming off contract by the end of the 2023 season, re-signing Reynolds for that length of time could have cost the club one or all of the trio.

Walker himself is on the wrong side of 30, however, may have the ability to play on for a longer period given his late first grade debut, while Mitchell and Cook are Origin stars at this point in their careers.
And it is everything that is wrong with the salary cap. There is no reward for building a strong side. There should be loyalty discounts. Something like 10% per season. Reynolds shouldn't be leaving because of NRL restrictions.

And it is everything that is wrong with the salary cap. There is no reward for building a strong side. There should be loyalty discounts. Something like 10% per season. Reynolds shouldn't be leaving because of NRL restrictions.
All clubs know the rules and one could also put it down to individual players greed - all this have to set themselves up for life attitude- they aren't 65 when they retire from football - they have 30 odd years of work they can still do- they have plenty of time on their hands to do courses whether TAFE/Uni ones as well as work experience for life after football.

Rabbitsglory

Juniors
So proud of our season yes its disappointing to loose in such a great game feel for all the boys leaving especially the heart of redfern reyno but the future looks bright bring on number 22 in 2022

My team

Mitchell
Johnson
Milne
Graham
Mansour
Walker
Taffe
Burgess
Cook
Tatola
Keon
Arrow
Murray- captain

Reserves
to be honest hope marshall continues
Nicholas
Host
Hopefully a new signing and more to come

callmack1

Staff member
'I'm not finished yet' but now's not time to make decision - Bennett: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/04/im-not-finished-yet-but-nows-not-time-to-make-decision-bennett/

Grand Final loss leaves Benji with big call to make: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/10/04/grand-final-loss-leaves-benji-with-big-call-to-make/

Succession planning has Bunnies in good shape for life after Wayne: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/10/05/succession-planning-has-bunnies-in-good-shape/

Bennett’s Bunnies fell just short of ultimate fairytale. Now a brutal truth will sink in: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/71457e1b579e881f6fe3bef8036e807e

‘Age is just a number' - Benji to make call on future as surprise NRL switch floated: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/1a56c09e10e3e8838d17f6efc0c9e8f2

Billy Slater backs 'valuable' Benji Marshall to continue NRL career: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/souths...abbitohs/cc64d931-f869-4e01-8c22-ebf557bc41e9

From Sporting News,

'Bigger loss than Wayne Bennett' - Rabbitohs tipped to regret Adam Reynolds rejection

Rugby league legend Greg Alexander believes South Sydney Rabbitohs will miss halfback Adam Reynolds more than coach Wayne Bennett.

While Reynolds missed a decisive conversion late on in the Rabbitohs grand final defeat to Penrith Panthers on Sunday, the 31-year-old ended his stint with club in dignified fashion.

After only being handed a one-year contract offer by South Sydney, Reynolds will line up for Brisbane Broncos next season as he looks to bounce back from a bitter loss.

Alexander believes the Rabbitohs have made a mistake letting a player of his quality go and will struggle to replace him anytime soon.

“It’s always difficult for sides to lose key players and continue along the same lines,” Alexander said on SEN 1170 Mornings.

“I’m thinking Adam Reynolds will be a bigger loss than Wayne Bennett.

“Adam Reynolds was for the second half of the year, to play like he did after he was rejected by his own club, was quite remarkable. He wanted to stay at South Sydney, they offered him a one-year deal but he wanted more security.

“He’s signed with the Brisbane Broncos, but to replace Adam Reynolds the way he played for the majority of the year will be a difficult thing. Halfbacks do not fall off trees.

“There’s just not that many halfbacks that can control a game like Adam Reynolds does. The loss of Reynolds will cost South Sydney more than the loss of Wayne Bennett.

“Whether Cody Walker moves across to seven and plays a different type of role and Blake Taaffe comes and plays five-eighth...they’ve still got a side, but it’ll be tough to cover the loss of Adam Reynolds.”

Bennett, who is yet to decide on his own future, was quick to defend Reynolds for his missed conversion when he spoke after the grand final.

"Nine out of 10 he’s going to get that conversion,” Bennett said.

"These guys make mistakes, they miss tackles, they drop balls and they don’t always get the goalkick.

"Stop trying to put any more to it other than he just missed the goalkick and he didn’t hit the ball right on the drop-kick."

Last edited:

Ikonic

Juniors
I’m pretty crook still of the handling of the exit of Reyno.. who like everyone says grew up and wanted to play for Souths bla bla.
Cameron Smith wanted to play for the Broncos but that never happened. He’s lucky Souths took a punt on him and it grew into a great career with the Rabbitohs.
When Sandow left I was thinking Souths we’re f%^^^ked but then Reyno came along and we won a GF aswell as going within a bees d*** of winning another.

time for a freshen up like I said in another post.. new voice out there might do wonders. May take a bit to get used to but we migh see a different approach in our attacking structure and it might be better who knows?? I’m more excited about the future… Taafe, Ilias, Moale, Mamezelous…

I’ll say this though
If we had latrell we win the comp, easy.

he draws in 2-3 players everything he runs either a decoy or with the ball.
He could have also kicked goals through the finals for Reyno and he isn’t a bad goal kicker

again I’m excited for the future rather than dwell on whose leaving im keen for a freshen up, new approach with the new coach and keen to see how we go

glory glory

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I’m pretty crook still of the handling of the exit of Reyno.. who like everyone says grew up and wanted to play for Souths bla bla.
Cameron Smith wanted to play for the Broncos but that never happened. He’s lucky Souths took a punt on him and it grew into a great career with the Rabbitohs.
When Sandow left I was thinking Souths we’re f%^^^ked but then Reyno came along and we won a GF aswell as going within a bees d*** of winning another.

time for a freshen up like I said in another post.. new voice out there might do wonders. May take a bit to get used to but we migh see a different approach in our attacking structure and it might be better who knows?? I’m more excited about the future… Taafe, Ilias, Moale, Mamezelous…

I’ll say this though
If we had latrell we win the comp, easy.

he draws in 2-3 players everything he runs either a decoy or with the ball.
He could have also kicked goals through the finals for Reyno and he isn’t a bad goal kicker

again I’m excited for the future rather than dwell on whose leaving im keen for a freshen up, new approach with the new coach and keen to see how we go

glory glory
I agree with you on most of this. Just a few points:
Yes, with the departure of Gags and Adam the attacking structure will inevitably change but I wouldn't say it needed improvement, since the season was the most tries and points scored and wins in the history of the club.

Absolutely no doubt if Latrell plays we win, even if all he did was to make those tough carries on the first tackle to get our momentum rolling foward in the early part of sets. And we probably wouldn't have faced so many goal line dropouts.

Not sure about the kicking though, Latrell is a left footer, the conversion would have been tougher for him than Adam.

He only has himself to blame, I'm a massive fan of his but he has a big lesson to learn and hopefully now he's learnt it

Last edited:

Latest posts