What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Why Souths are reluctant to grant Reynolds long-term deal

South Sydney have no appetite to grant Adam Reynolds his four-year contract wish after a similar long-term deal for another senior player, Sam Burgess, left the club millions of dollars out of pocket.

The day after Reynolds expressed his disappointment with the club’s one-year extension, sources with knowledge of the discussions said they were confident the skipper would stay put another couple of years, with Blake Taaffe the frontrunner to succeed him in the No. 7 jersey in the long term.

Reynolds is earning close to $1m but knows he will need to settle for around $600,000 to $650,000 to remain at Redfern in 2022 and 2023.

The club gave Burgess a four-year, $4m extension when he was nearly 30, only for the Englishman to be forced into medical retirement 12 months later. While Burgess’ payout did not count towards Souths’ salary cap, it seriously dented the club’s bottom line.

Reynolds himself said this week he had never felt physically or mentally stronger, but Souths are not prepared to take any similar risks.

The sticking point for Reynolds will be the length of his next deal, rather than money. Souths acknowledge the 30-year-old is one of the most-gifted goal-kickers to ever lace on a boot, and respect the fact he has not once caused them grief off the field.

There are also plans to move him into a coaching role and to help with the club’s pathways program, similar to the one another club legend, John Sutton, is now enjoying.

Reynolds wants three to four years based on how his body feels and the security it provides for his wife and four young children.

Parramatta have Mitchell Moses unsigned beyond this year, Cronulla are waiting to see how Shaun Johnson returns from an Achilles injury, while Reynolds won a premiership with Michael Maguire, the man now in charge at Wests Tigers and could easily accommodate his little mate by moving Luke Brooks into five-eighth.

Souths’ bitter rivals, the Sydney Roosters, would be aware Reynolds won a premiership with their own playmaker Luke Keary. But the Roosters are unlikely to afford a representative player like Reynolds, and are already drafting a decent extension for teen rookie Sam Walker.

Taaffe led South Sydney’s Jersey Flegg side to premiership glory in 2019 and he has been named on the bench for Saturday night’s Charity Shield against St George Illawarra. Taaffe has spent most of the summer training at fullback.

With Wayne Bennett leaving the club at the end of the year, the supercoach is not expected to have much input about Reynolds’ next contract. But Bennett’s opinion will still be valued by his successor Jason Demetriou and the club’s recruitment and retention committee.

What is not well known is that Bennett has given Demetriou plenty of say about the club’s roster the past 12 months given it will be Demetriou who ultimately has to get the best out of the players.

Reynolds has no interest playing in the Super League and quipped on Monday he was a better chance of heading to the US to try his luck as an NFL punter. So lethal is his boot that Port Adelaide coaching staff complimented him on his power and style during a hit-and-run pre-season training run a couple of years ago.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...-reynolds-long-term-deal-20210223-p5754u.html

handyman2190

Bench
Have no concern boys Reyno is going nowhere. He will sign a 2 year deal with an option in South's favour!
Mixo brother you are a legend,you know players play hard ball when negotiating, as is Reynolds, he dosent want the traditional over 30s pay cut nor the yearly negotiations which in many cases involve another pay cut. The only way he leaves is if souths let him leave,he wont go himself, over the years we have put up with some ordinary and exceptional form, a big paypacket brings expectation. I agree with mixo, what will happen is as he has said with the club trying to get a discount on the way.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Have no concern boys Reyno is going nowhere. He will sign a 2 year deal with an option in South's favour!
Mixo, you have well and truly made my day! I had faith that everything would work out but it's really nice to get some confirmation! Onwards and Upwards for the Mighty Cardinal and Myrtle

He’s such a clutch player, I think the eels will stop at almost nothing to snare him.

Sandow?!

If he’s on 1, then 600 is an insult.

If the eels offer 1 for 3 years that’s 1.2 additional.
Could push Souths to 800k

He hasn’t lost 40% of his value in a pre season!

Compared to the rubbish doing the rounds, he’s gold.

We’d throw something at renno, but r&r would be careful. We probably need a smattering of Marquee elsewhere tbh.

We’ve got Brooks, but he’s not near renno quality and never will be. He’s factory with the odd beserker experience, then back to factory before anyone rates him. I like him though.

I hope your mixo is right. But renno needs his twylight loving!

Going to the eels would make him impotent overnight. Poor old Chrissy never recovered.

Last edited:
Actually I think Chris retired on-field while playing at the eels.

Got awesome marquee cash, started hard on the punt, car crashes, defamed the coach etc.

Having said that there’s some brothers on tigers lu salivating over renno, dragging their tongues behind them at the prospect!

callmack1

Staff member
Thanks Mixo!! That certainly gets my hopes up but I won't fully believe anything until it's officially announced as always.

Why Souths are reluctant to grant Reynolds long-term deal: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...-reynolds-long-term-deal-20210223-p5754u.html

That article sounds a lot more promising stating that those close to the negotiations are confident he'll stay and also that the club has a plan for Reyno post-Footy. That's positive news. Man, I just hop we can get this done. A two year deal with a third as a club option is just a no brainer in my opinion.

The Serve - What to do with Reynolds: https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/league

On another note,

NRL limits damage from pandemic after $65 million cost cutting mission: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...c/news-story/2997c1ce77f73762a7b8c957568b1c0a

I’d give him 3 years at 700 yesterday and a club option for 4th.

Renno solves so many problems.

At tigers, with renno, I’d be able to move Brooks to 5/8 and your ex young hero Douhie to the backs with Roberts. Dougie offers more than bj who i can use of the bench for impact when a forward slows down.

The last thing the defence wants at the back end of a game is a mobile forward ( ie cam murray) thinking he’s a back! You see cam hitting that line in the danger zones and he attracts bulk defenders as he almost always looks likely.

Douhie couldn’t make it into your side as you have too much strike, but he’s been fantastic.
Slower start but now I thinking he’s trying to reach marquee. He’s grows in stature every week! He keeps going and he’s origin in 2 or 3 years. He’s bulked up a lot under Madgism. You might not recognise him!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
New NRL rules explained - Scrums, field goals, six-agains, trainers: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/new-nrl-rules-explained-scrums-field-goals-six-agains-trainers/

NRL willing to again tweak new rules after trial run - Annesley: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/nrl-willing-to-again-tweak-new-rules-after-trial-run-annesley/

V'landys re-elected as ARL Commission bounces back financially: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/vlandys-re-elected-as-arl-commission-bounces-back-financially/

Bennett and the Jets - NRL 17th team contender confirms talks for Brisbane homecoming: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/e64c7e37b6892eb4d5bf2ab7c2462523

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

South Sydney Rabbitohs warned off long-term Adam Reynolds deal

Greg Alexander has warned South Sydney against signing halfback and captain Adam Reynolds to a long-term deal at this stage of his career.

Reynolds, 30, is going into the final year of his deal with the Rabbitohs and is currently at an impasse in negotiations over a contract extension at Redfern.

"We've started negotiations but we're not right on the same page at the moment," Reynolds told Sporting News earlier this week.

"I'd like to play for another three or four years. I'd like to sign for three years."

Reynolds has played all 206 of his first-grade games with Souths and helped steer them to the drought-breaking 2014 premiership.

Penrith great Alexander said loyalty and sentimentality can lead teams into trouble when it comes to long-serving stars.

"There is often a contract signed to a club legend that is too long at the back end of his career," Alexander told SEN, adding a two-year deal would be an appropriate compromise for both parties.

"I think in the end they'll give him two years and I think he'd take two years. That would be wise.

"That would keep him on his toes but it would also mean, if he doesn't aim up, they've only got him for two years."

Alexander said Reynolds' form in the second half of 2020 was the best he's seen from the seven, but had queries about some of his performances prior to that.

"You couldn't offer Adam Reynolds a four-year deal. If he got offered a four-year deal, he'd take it in a heartbeat," he added.

"His form over his recent contract has ebbed and flowed, it's been up and down, you can't sign a guy towards the back end of his career on a three or four-year deal when his form ebbs and flows.

"You've got to take every player on face value and you would only sign a guy that you knew you were going to get everything out of him every week to a long-term deal."

Adding to the Rabbitohs' considerations is the deal they recently gave a 30-year-old Sam Burgess - $4 million over four years - only for him to be forced into medical retirement after one season, while they are also mindful of the development of young half Blake Taaffe.