What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

callmack1

Staff member
From News Corp,

NRL TV rights: Free-to-air networks queue up for slice of Rugby League

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering a new TV rights model that is set to spark a major bidding war.

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering carving up the rugby league season program and engaging up to three free-to-air networks to televise rugby league matches in the next broadcast deal.

And the development, similar to that employed by the American NFL, has been met with immediate and united support from NRL club chief executives.

The ARL Commission is considering mixing up the rugby league landscape with rival networks to bid for NRL games, State of Origin, finals and the grand final.

With different games showing on separate free-to-air carriers, there is a chance that games could soon be telecast on Nine, Seven and Ten.

If the model is implemented, Channel 9’s longstanding monopoly over rugby league would end.

ARLC chairman Peter V’Landys revealed on Sunday that rugby league had “substantial interest” from multiple free-to-air stations.

While Fox Sports has five years left on its deal, the current free-to-air TV deal expires after next season with the NRL having already started top-level discussions with all networks.

“Peter, Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and the commission will be trusted with achieving the best financial outcome for the sport,” said Souths CEO, Blake Solly. “But outside the best financial deal possible, I think there would be other benefits in having two or three FTA broadcasters

“As rights holders they would immediately be invested in promoting the NRL, players and clubs to the biggest possible audience and this would help the sport keep and find new fans.
“The more broadcasters and outlets supporting the growth of the NRL competition and rugby league, the better for mine”.

Raiders CEO Don Furner added: “The more free-to-air coverage, the better for the game, particularly in other states. One-hundred per cent of people have free-to-air.

“It’s no wonder there is interest. Our game is fantastic to watch, it’s a fantastic TV product. We have faith in Peter maximising the best deal for the game.”

V’landys told The Big Sports Breakfast Weekend on Sky Sports Radio he was interested in sharing rugby league around the FTA channels.

“For the first time we have actually got substantial interest from other TV stations. Rugby league is in a good position to get a very good deal,” he said.

“That is one option to us – you might have two free-to-airs broadcasters. You may have three free-to-air broadcasters on different days on different nights – State of Origin, grand final, semi-finals. You can split them up into different packages.

“I have just been studying the NFL deal and they have about six or seven partners that do specific games. I can’t see why we can’t do that here. Exclusivity is going to be a lot more expensive this time around, being able to provide it to a number of parties.”

Asked would Australia have enough stations interested in covering NRL, V’landys said: “I believe so and each network has expressed interest.

“At the moment, because of the competition that the free-to-air channels have, they really do rely on news, sport and reality shows. You have Stan and Netflix that provide all the other dramas and comedies so the free-to-air, they have to attract people by their news, sport and reality and sport is very, very high on that list.

“That is why the free-to-air stations will certainly be interested is us because we are a rare commodity. I want to stress the people I want to look after are the fans and to make sure the fans have every opportunity to access rugby league.

“The free-to-air deal, not only is it financially beneficial to us but it’s also provides eyeballs. Free-to-air goes to every home whereas Foxtel goes to 27, 28 per cent of the market.

“So, for us, it’s very important for us to enable rugby league to be watched by as many people as possible.”

A number of senior rugby league figures have been shocked by Nine’s relentless push to promote the ratings-challenged rugby union on Stan while virtually ignoring any ads promoting the start of NRL season.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Channel 7 boss James Warburton has also told network employees of a plan to axe cricket, prompting speculation his station wants NRL.

Travitoh

First Grade
2yr deal take it or leave it Adam... club comes first. Club needs to ensure it wraps Taafe up

Why is everyone so keen to get rid of the clubs captain and only premiership winning halfback since the invention of colour tv for a kid that isn't even in the first grade squad?

Cody Walker is 6 months older but it's AR that is in the gun for being "old"

Jim Rockford

Bench
Why is everyone so keen to get rid of the clubs captain and only premiership winning halfback since the invention of colour tv for a kid that isn't even in the first grade squad?

Mate, for the life of me I can't understand it either. I guess it's like the kid who wants the shiny new toy over the one they've been playing with for a long time.

Travitoh

First Grade
Mate, for the life of me I can't understand it either. I guess it's like the kid who wants the shiny new toy over the one they've been playing with for a long time.

I get that there is hype surrounding the kid and RL supporters suffer from serious FOMO.

If the club are going to be so concerned about losing Taaffe, then let Cody go and play the kid at 6 alongside AR, undertaking an apprenticeship during the transition.

Nothing against Cody, he is a great player but so is AR who is also the captain. You don't let your captain walk for an untested prospect.

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors

I’m not saying get rid of Adam however a 2yr deal is fair for both player and club. We can’t hand out long term deals to aging players that ties up our cap anymore ... it’s business and strategy to ensure the team and club remain successful on and off the field

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Apparently they are meeting again this week to discuss further... reported club will offer 2yr deal with a 1 yr option on top in clubs favour. May come down to how much $$$
To be fair, that’s a wise choice
Especially considering Reyno has a bad back as well as his age which I suppose when you think about it isn’t THAT old.
But keep in mind Taafe is his supposed successor and we have to try our best to keep him also.

callmack1

Staff member
Rumours from people who attended the Season launch on Friday that it was said both Taaffe and Ilias have extended until the end of 2023. I hope that's true, fantastic news if it is!!

New NRL rules to widen gap between top and bottom teams, Andrew Johns says: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rule-c...s-divide/08c27c70-05c4-47da-b9fc-3786df9cb4c3

Two Souths deals that highlight stunning hypocrisy in Reynolds contract saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/ff132928165b99484f67395ce4d56f3a

From Sporting News,

'It would be a tragedy if he left' - Cam Murray weighs in on Adam Reynolds' contract saga

The contract saga surrounding Adam Reynolds looks set to follow South Sydney into the 2021 NRL season, but Cam Murray says it would be a tragedy if the veteran playmaker left Redfern.

One of the most popular players at the Bunnies, Reynolds reportedly feels slighted by the club only offering him a one-year contract extension for 2022.

Talks between Reynolds' manager and South Sydney will continue this week, with hopes a resolution will be made before the Rabbitohs' season-opener against Melbourne on Thursday.

It's understsood South Sydney are wary after being left in the lurch when Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess were both forced to retire well before their big-money, long-term contracts were up.

Murray, who has played all of his club footy alongside Reynolds at the Rabbitohs, made an impassioned plea for the halfback to stay.

“I can't comment on the business side of things, but I can comment on how much I love Adam Reynolds, how much I love playing alongside him and how much of a shame it would be to see him leave,” the 23-year-old said on Monday.

“I’m not sure when or if a deal will be done, but it would be a tragedy if he left.”

Reynolds made his debut for Souths in 2012 and led the side to a drought-breaking premiership two years later, with Murray saying the 30-year-old playmaker has been instrumental in South Sydney's reversal in fortunes.

“He’s the life of the club here, and I think he’s been one of the leaders in our return to form since the early 2010s,” Murray said.

“He’s been instrumental in the success of the Bunnies over the last decade and he’s still at the top of his game now.

“He hasn’t played better footy – arguably in the 2013/14 season – but over the last couple of years especially under Wayne Bennett, he’s played his best footy.

“I can’t speak better of Adam. I love him as a person and as a footy player and I know every Souths fan does too.”

Hooker Damien Cook also highlighted Reynolds' leadership qualities, and denied the ongoing saga was a distraction just days out from the season starting.

“In a perfect world we’d love to see him stay for longer. It would be hard to see him in any other colours than red and green,” Cook said on Monday.

“He’s south Sydney through and through.

“He’s not only a great player on the field with the best kicking game in the competition, but he’s great around the sheds. He’s been a great captain and what he does really well is keep the spirit up with his energy.

“I don’t think it’s a distraction at all. It’s just something that comes with footy.”

Speculation around Reynolds' future has been intense since he began contract negotiations in February.

Greg Alexander warned the Rabbitohs off re-signing Reynolds on a long-term deal, saying his form had "ebbed and flowed" in recent seasons.

Meanwhile Cooper Cronk went even harder in his criticism.

"He's got to three prelims in the last three years and failed," Cronk said last week.

"That's part of (being in) the spine, part of a halfback, part of a leader, is to get the team to the prelim and then take them to the trophy."

callmack1

Staff member
Reynolds open to two-year deal but will hit market if Souths don't budge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/08...eal-but-will-hit-market-if-souths-dont-budge/

There we go, the precedent has now been set. Reyno would be happy with a two year deal so it's up to Souths now to come to the party. In my opinion, the path is clear. We absolutely must offer him two years, it's a no brainer. I'd still like a two year deal with an option for a third in the club's favour and that'd be ideal, it would just give us an extra option up our sleeve and potentially give reyno even more security.

ThingFish

Juniors
Souths should offer him a multi-season contract. He's the captain and undisputed 7 of a team in premiership conversations. Load it with player option extensions if they're afraid of him retiring but treat him with the respect he deserves.

Fact: AR has been halfback in every Souths prelim since being reinstated in the comp.
Fact: AR got us to 6 prelims in the past 9 yrs. BUT we only played in 1GF. 1 out of 6. Let that sink in.

Fact: With AR has a 40% win rate in all finals footy.
Fact: We all hate the C word, but the word choke is already doing the rounds.
Fact: Why can we score 30+ a game easily during the season but find it real hard to score 2 tries in a prelim.

I agree 100% with Cronk in tonight’s NRL360 the managers are more than entitled to say Reno here is 1 more year, give us a GF appearance in 21 or 22 and we’ll give to 2 more years.

i 100% blame our choking record on Renno and Cody. They need to get over their fear of big game league. They have both CHOKED in SOO and in the last 3 prelims.

it is good to see the management taking the C word seriously.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reynolds open to two-year deal but will hit market if Souths don't budge: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/08...eal-but-will-hit-market-if-souths-dont-budge/

There we go, the precedent has now been set. Reyno would be happy with a two year deal so it's up to Souths now to come to the party. In my opinion, the path is clear. We absolutely must offer him two years, it's a no brainer. I'd still like a two year deal with an option for a third in the club's favour and that'd be ideal, it would just give us an extra option up our sleeve and potentially give reyno even more security.
We have to make it happen now, surely!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Fact: AR got us to 6 prelims in the past 9 yrs. BUT we only played in 1GF. 1 out of 6. Let that sink in.

Fact: With AR has a 40% win rate in all finals footy.
Fact: We all hate the C word, but the word choke is already doing the rounds.
Fact: Why can we score 30+ a game easily during the season but find it real hard to score 2 tries in a prelim.

I agree 100% with Cronk in tonight’s NRL360 the managers are more than entitled to say Reno here is 1 more year, give us a GF appearance in 21 or 22 and we’ll give to 2 more years.

i 100% blame our choking record on Renno and Cody. They need to get over their fear of big game league. They have both CHOKED in SOO and in the last 3 prelims.

it is good to see the management taking the C word seriously.
Sorry but I disagree we were not favourites or close to favourites in the prelims. If we were favourites I may agree with you.

You need a lot of luck to win a premiership as well and GI and Sam retiring as well as being very injured at the back end of their careers didn’t help us plus Latrell was injured last year.

I would much rather be making the final 4 compared to where we were years ago.... it’s very hard to find a player that can help your club to final 4.

When Reyno plays we have a 65percent win rate and when he does not play it drops to 30percent.

If all key players are fit at the back end this could be our year.

What’s needed though is a top 4 finish and then you need to get the week off.

Reyno and Cody have won us so many games mate. The last 3 prelims we haven’t had that week off either which is a big disadvantage.

In fact if you ask me I think over the last few seasons with what we’ve had to face I think we actually overachieved.

Latest posts