What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

big hit!

Bench
Im not quite understanding our cap situation, gagai knows he must accept less say 400 to 450k AR is already on whatever he is on, if we have too many contracted players,get rid of a few,marsters who overweight arse and lack of defence for 1, why did we sign lightweight cartwright who couldnt get a look in at penrith and is injury prone, theres 300k in savings. Not having richo, a dedicated mger of retention and recuitment, as ive mentioned before is screwing us.
How we get to this stage were we buy crocks,moga, to take gagais place and not be able to give AR a second year is infathonable.

what to do you mean too many contracted players? A club needs 30, Souths have 30 - Benji was the last one added and he came cheap on a 1-yr so that's a masterstroke. There are others at training who are on development but there are no OBs among them yet which is why the club has recruited from outside.

And those 'crocks' have probably come cheap, so the club can pay a little more for its top 15 or so. Do you expect the guys who aren't selected to be guns? They would be at other clubs playing first grade if that were the case!

I've been giving this some thought for a few days.

It's looking more likely to me that the front office had these signings planned ahead in mind, planning that Adam, Gagai, Sua, maybe even Cody would be off the books when their contracts expired, and that they would not be renewed.

I think Cartwright is planned to be Gagai's replacement, Host is planned to be Sua's replacement, Adam replacement is Dean Hawkins, Taafe not sure what they planning for him ?half, ?fullback? dummy half?
Illias maybe Cody's replacement if its not Taafe. Paulo is there for Mansour when he expires.

I don't think the current situation is a F*** up, I think its planned.

Might sound callous to Adam, but I think they wanted him to take one year contracts like Sutto. Its not the same though, because Sutto's renewels were less than half the dollars of what Adam was currently on.

It remains to be seen what's gonna happen with Cody next season. He might be facing what Adam is facing right now.

There might be some wiggle room in the cap if we can move some guys contracted beyond this year, but not a lot, because other teams would have to take these guys, so they'd have the leverage in bargaining, and we'd have to pay some of the contract. For example, Knight, whose probably on the biggest money of the guys not currently in the 17, but the rest are either expiring this season or club option next year. Marsters is club option next year.

The club has gone all in, all chips on the table and hoping the river card comes up trumps.

This is it, they have to win the premiership THIS season

A very impressive analysis, can’t see too much to unpack there. Well done.

Travitoh

First Grade
Im not quite understanding our cap situation, gagai knows he must accept less say 400 to 450k AR is already on whatever he is on, if we have too many contracted players,get rid of a few,marsters who overweight arse and lack of defence for 1, why did we sign lightweight cartwright who couldnt get a look in at penrith and is injury prone, theres 300k in savings. Not having richo, a dedicated mger of retention and recuitment, as ive mentioned before is screwing us.
How we get to this stage were we buy crocks,moga, to take gagais place and not be able to give AR a second year is infathonable.

Cutting minimum earners won't save anything. They'll have to be replaced by other minimum earners. Cartwright and Marsters are better players than what is available on the free market so cutting them would only weaken the squad for no savings.

Travitoh

First Grade
I've been giving this some thought for a few days.

It's looking more likely to me that the front office had these signings planned ahead in mind, planning that Adam, Gagai, Sua, maybe even Cody would be off the books when their contracts expired, and that they would not be renewed.

I think Cartwright is planned to be Gagai's replacement, Host is planned to be Sua's replacement, Adam replacement is Dean Hawkins, Taafe not sure what they planning for him ?half, ?fullback? dummy half?
Illias maybe Cody's replacement if its not Taafe. Paulo is there for Mansour when he expires.

I don't think the current situation is a F*** up, I think its planned.

Might sound callous to Adam, but I think they wanted him to take one year contracts like Sutto. Its not the same though, because Sutto's renewels were less than half the dollars of what Adam was currently on.

It remains to be seen what's gonna happen with Cody next season. He might be facing what Adam is facing right now.

There might be some wiggle room in the cap if we can move some guys contracted beyond this year, but not a lot, because other teams would have to take these guys, so they'd have the leverage in bargaining, and we'd have to pay some of the contract. For example, Knight, whose probably on the biggest money of the guys not currently in the 17, but the rest are either expiring this season or club option next year. Marsters is club option next year.

The club has gone all in, all chips on the table and hoping the river card comes up trumps.

This is it, they have to win the premiership THIS season

I've been having similar thoughts this morning. Even a guy like Marsters is in the squad for the future.

If the club can turn over the squad before Murray, Koloamatangi, Graham and co hit peak age, it creates another opportunity to challenge. And that begins with getting experience into the new halves as well as a new coach.

I do believe there are other options to do so but this is the path that the club looks like it is taking.

Travitoh

First Grade
I wouldn't compare the Reynolds situation to Sutton. From what i recall, the club didn't make it known that they had players in the pipeline to replace Sutton when they were ready. The club and Reynolds know that there are halves coming.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
We can't scream that the club planned poorly for the cap in future seasons whwn they had a plan last season and changed it when they buckled to pressure and re-signed AJ. It could very well be the case that the plan was to let AJ and afford to offer AR more.
Yes that's very possible.

And its a moving beast. It could well be that they planned 2 years ago to keep Adam and maybe not Cody as he is one year older. They may have changed their minds though, after Cody's play the last two seasons (remember there was talk midway through last season for a game or two about "not needing Adam"). We will find out about Cody soon enough.....

Other possible moves is Knight to another club, Burns comes off the books this year saving some money, and some of the expirings brings a little more money.

And there will come opportunities to pounce on someone who suddenly becomes available, or sandbank someone who takes off and other teams wanna steal from us, so you do need to keep some reserves in cap space.

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think they are also planning to have to keep a fair bit of cash in cap reserve to keep Latrell for a long term basis. I would not be surprised he is now the No.1 in priority rank in the eyes of the club to hold for mid to long term. With that is going to come inevitable raises in pay.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yes that's very possible.

And its a moving beast. It could well be that they planned 2 years ago to keep Adam and maybe not Cody as he is one year older. They may have changed their minds though, after Cody's play the last two seasons (remember there was talk midway through last season for a game or two about "not needing Adam"). We will find out about Cody soon enough.....

Other possible moves is Knight to another club, Burns comes off the books this year saving some money, and some of the expirings brings a little more money.

And there will come opportunities to pounce on someone who suddenly becomes available, or sandbank someone who takes off and other teams wanna steal from us, so you do need to keep some reserves in cap space.

Dogmatix

Juniors
It is better to cut an older player one year too early than one year too late

Australian cricket created a strong team in the 1990s and early 2000s by being ruthless with older players in the years prior. Dean Jones played his last test match at only 31 years old with a test average of 46 as the selectors wanted to move on to younger players rather than let older players go on a year or two too long

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
This is a problem that VLandys needs to address. There needs to be better salary cap dispensation for players a team has brought up from the juniors and kept long term. The current amount is not enough, it needs to be way more

But I don't expect that to change, Benji can tell you all about it....

Travitoh

First Grade
This is a problem that VLandys needs to address. There needs to be better salary cap dispensation for players a team has brought up from the juniors and kept long term. The current amount is not enough, it needs to be way more

But I don't expect that to change, Benji can tell you all about it....

Agree. With league wide talent being a hot topic at the moment, a salary cap discount for players brought up through lower grades gives clubs more incentive to develop from within. Though it'd be a big advantage to the bigger markets such as Brisbane and Souths.

Renno is in the top 1% of all players in the nrl,

All
players.

I really don't think the decision is too difficult or challenging. It is perhaps the easiest decision in the history of the game.

A Renno in hand is a worth a dozen factory or young Muppets whatever.

Also, he is a halfback and they tend to see a lot of the ball and have a greater influence on the game than say a licensed back etc- Not always but generally.

I wish the cut and thrust of the game in terms of possession and influence were more evenly spread across all of the positions, but its not.

In my view, a marquee halfback provides significantly more comfort than marquee in any other position.

Also, his specific application to the Souths side.

Forget the sentiment and emotion for a second, my strong belief is that even on a cold hearted wretched corporate commercial performance basis, Renno ticks all the boxes.

You have all the window of a prison cell without him.

1%. That's the elite of the elite.

Jim Rockford

Bench
This Reynolds scenario makes me think to when fans were outraged we wouldn't resign Jason Clark and Kyle Turner. As always, club knows best.
With all due respect to Jason and Kyle, there is absolutely no comparison with the effect that losing them has to losing Reyno. The first two are solid but easily replaceable while Reyno is elite and much,much harder to replace. Unfortunately we are going to find that out when it is too late.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
This Reynolds scenario makes me think to when fans were outraged we wouldn't resign Jason Clark and Kyle Turner. As always, club knows best.
Tbh it’s a different story to Clark and turner
Reynolds is pivotal (Pardon the pun) to every set we have
Where as Clark came on after 25 and made 30+ tackles and 10 runs..
Yes both legends but Reynolds I would regard higher than Clark/Turner in regards to how important they are to our premiership hopes.