What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ratings

Chook Norris

First Grade
Lots of comments on social media saying people have switched off watching the games due to blowouts. Curious to see if the data is clearly showing this in regards to the general season vs like-for-like games (e.g. raiders v Titans in 2021 and 2020)

The_Wookie

Bench
I know theres been a lot of angst about the rule changes in rugby league and a groundswell of movement against it, but the data isnt showing a reflection of that disatisfaction from ratings data.

Losses on the FTA and Fox STB areas appear to be more than accommodated for by increased streaming at this time.

With the sole exception of Melbourne (+2.9% v R16, 2020), ratings appear to be down across the board, with average match ratings drpping 3.74% to 429,000 compared to 2020, and down 4.0% in 2019. The per match difference is less than 18,000 per game.

Traditional ratings are down 3.4% - its less than 18,000 per game, but that loss is made up by streaming,.

After Round 10, Fox (group) indicated a 14% increase in audiences to 377,000 per game across Fox/Go/Now/Kayo. This is up 53,000 on last year, more than the 18k missing from 2020 FTA/FoxSTB ratings

Perth Red

Post Whore
That graph seems to show a significant drop in many rounds this year compared to 2019? 500-600k some rounds pre origin period. Or am I reading it wrong?? Out of first 10 rounds it looks like 9 where lower than 2019 with a cumulative audience drop over those first ten rounds of around 4million?

The_Wookie

Bench
That graph seems to show a significant drop in many rounds this year compared to 2019? 500-600k some rounds pre origin period. Or am I reading it wrong?? Out of first 10 rounds it looks like 9 where lower than 2019 with a cumulative audience drop over those first ten rounds of around 4million?

YearCumulativeMatchesAverage
2021​
53,318,000​
429983.9​
2020​
56,987,240​
445212.8​
2019​
57,194,000​
446828.1​

Perth Red

Post Whore
YearCumulativeMatchesAverage
2021​
53,318,000​
429983.9​
2020​
56,987,240​
445212.8​
2019​
57,194,000​
446828.1​
so we are nearly 4mill down on 2019. Whilst streaming will have picked up some of that (unknown amount) that would suggest people are turning the game off in significant numbers.

Canard

Immortal
so we are nearly 4mill down on 2019. Whilst streaming will have picked up some of that (unknown amount) that would suggest people are turning the game off in significant numbers.

Down 15k per game, on average.

That's clearly streaming

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wer
Down 15k per game, on average.

That's clearly streaming
Werent people streaming in 2019?
I'm sure there has been an increase but we dont have any stats on what it is. Dont understand why broadcasters arent including streaming figures, surely its a better sell to advertisors to include the whole audience?

Pretty Penny

Juniors
Streaming wont carry the difference plus don't forget the engagement factor. People are a lot more engaged in close games rather than having the tv on in the background when its a belting. Plus, how many people would be turning the game off at half time if it was 30-0 or more. Even Cameron Smith said he turned the Storm v Roosters game off at half time as he was sure the Storm would win and that engagement factor is just as important as the number of eye balls.

The_Wookie

Bench
Despite a shocking weekend of blowouts, Fox Sports has achieved two all-time NRL ratings records.

The Warriors v Dragons golden point thriller on Friday night was the most-watched 6pm game of all time with an average of 419k viewers.

The Sunday 2pm game between the Broncos and Sharks also saw the highest ever ratings in that timeslot with 386k viewers (up 30 per cent on the 2021 season average).

Even the Rabbitohs v Tigers match on Sunday attracted a 393k average audience, a 14 per cent increase on the 2021 average for the Sunday 4pm slot.

Super Saturday recorded 357k viewers across the three games, down five per cent on the Super Saturday average of 377k in 2021.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Despite a shocking weekend of blowouts, Fox Sports has achieved two all-time NRL ratings records.

The Warriors v Dragons golden point thriller on Friday night was the most-watched 6pm game of all time with an average of 419k viewers.

The Sunday 2pm game between the Broncos and Sharks also saw the highest ever ratings in that timeslot with 386k viewers (up 30 per cent on the 2021 season average).

Even the Rabbitohs v Tigers match on Sunday attracted a 393k average audience, a 14 per cent increase on the 2021 average for the Sunday 4pm slot.

Super Saturday recorded 357k viewers across the three games, down five per cent on the Super Saturday average of 377k in 2021.

Are we seeing a major shift of viewers from FTA to KAYO I wonder? The PTV was around the avg for the timeslot at 254k suggesting 165k watched on KAYO. Sunday had 254k on PTV suggesting around 132k on KAYO

Pretty Penny

Juniors
So we see Rugby League is more popular than ever. May be lockdown related. But God bless you Rugby League, you have given me and my family, the best years of our life.

The_Wookie

Bench
UOuRW9H.png

FYYEuXJ.png

NRL per round - 4.41m
NRL per game in season - 563k

AFL per round - 4.55m
AFL per game in season - 539k

I should note that when AFLW and the Preseasons for both are added in the total ratings will be pretty close. The averages will be well to the advantage of the NRL.

I still have nothing to even begin guessing NZ ratings.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
How did you work out the estimated streaming numbers?

Fox provided a season average for both codes after Magic Round - 374,000 for the NRL and 243,000 for the AFL - and this was based on both STB and streaming services (Kayo/Go/Now) combined. All i did was remove the known STB numbers from the Fox Group season average.

Its not pretty, but its all you get at the moment, other than the occasional rating for a few matches here and there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fox provided a season average for both codes after Magic Round - 374,000 for the NRL and 243,000 for the AFL - and this was based on both STB and streaming services (Kayo/Go/Now) combined. All i did was remove the known STB numbers from the Fox Group season average.

Its not pretty, but its all you get at the moment, other than the occasional rating for a few matches here and there.
cheers, best guess I suppose with lack of data they release.

Falling behind in the cumulative is another good reason for a 9th game, especially if we can get it on FTA!

Jim from Oz

Juniors

Surely that is related to lockdown of Sydney and much of the surrounding area? Still good though !!

Is that a fact, why not wait until all the numbers are available, you have form in spreading mistruths, Norman.

Now i could call you out on Talking Footy, but you banned me from there last night for being hetro sexual, even though i was a member for 10 years, you also banned me from your Big Footy board, fact is you ban everyone you can who disagrees with you.

You then act all innocent.

Like to play on fight clubs lol until you get hammered, stay away Norman, just stay away.

Last edited:
cheers, best guess I suppose with lack of data they release.

Falling behind in the cumulative is another good reason for a 9th game, especially if we can get it on FTA!
Exactly Perth Red, we get a 9th game on FTA the sky is the limit, a Perth team is a must, i'm not sure about the other team though, Brisbane is obvious but how is that going to infilct the other QLD teams, f**k QLD, go Tassie IMO.