What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RM Cup & Sydney Shield

rightleftin

Juniors
St Marys were informed at lunch time that Wenty had cancelled today's games due to heath concerns and certainly Wenty is looking much healthier tonight with a point in both grades after St Marys won by a combined 110-4 a few weeks ago.

Although there was no RMC game for Glebe, a number of their squad played in SS for Cronulla Caringbah, including Duwayne Mariner, who was sent off for stomping the defender just after half time. Although Marc Russell was listed as the 17th player for Caringbah, I am pretty sure he was not there and they again started with less than 17. Joe Romeo appeared to have won the game for Cabra in the final seconds of play but the referee ruled otherwise.

Josh Saunders Jones, who was effective for Mounties in 2018, treated the forward pack of his old club like ten pins to spearhead an impressive Windsor performance today. It is extraordinary, that Windsor has a better record against teams in the top 6 than it does against the lower teams eg 2 losses to Wests, who have lost to all of the top 6.

Perhaps all games will be regarded as draws next week.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The ruling of draws is the most sensible outcome to alleviate any issues of the integrity of the competitions. We Sydneysiders need to stay safe during these times and hopefully it's only temporary - hopefully.

Broncos93

Juniors

Media release on competitions being suspended.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I think it's an insult to the women's game that they've cut their finals to 4 teams. They played all season for a top 6, and due to circumstances beyond their control, their seasons are now over. Very unfortunate set of events and I'm hopeful the NSWRL had no other option before taking such action.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Correct. Unlike the longer competitions for men, the Women's Premiership was restricted in a range of ways. Round 2 was unable to be replayed like RMC/Shield/Flegg/NSWCup as the spare weekend in May the other comps intended to use was the weekend of the National Championships.

The finals series has been shortened because many of the players involved will already have commenced NRLW training (12 Jul), and playing midweek likely isn't an option with most players having jobs/families etc.

QRL were arguably smarter and avoided this by having a much shorter competition for their women's premiership, but they also only had 8 teams and a 4-team, 2-week finals series. I'd argue the NSWRL should've gone for an 11-round comp where all teams play each other once with one bye - then they'd have had space to play with. Chocking it out to 15 rounds with 2 what looks like was 2 byes each - didn't work when push came to shove with COVID

rightleftin

Juniors
Cricketers have been subject to elimination in finals on draws including wash outs, for a long time and in Sydney Grade they had 15 years with 20 teams before they increased the finalists from 4 teams to 6.

Rams

Juniors
Hopefully NSWRL replay the games in the bye round these boys missed all of last season and there missed two more rounds.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I think it's an insult to the women's game that they've cut their finals to 4 teams. They played all season for a top 6, and due to circumstances beyond their control, their seasons are now over. Very unfortunate set of events and I'm hopeful the NSWRL had no other option before taking such action.
It is definitely sad, always not being able to play the last game for the year (without knowing it is) is never good.
Unfortunately due to the NRLW they had no other option except to play through covid which was not going to happen.
While it may seem harsh, only Mounties, Cronulla or Central Coast were going to win any way

Broncos93

Juniors
Hopefully NSWRL replay the games in the bye round these boys missed all of last season and there missed two more rounds.
The matches have all been declared draws.

Frustrating for some clubs no doubt who would have had easier fixtures during the period, but I'm sure most will just be happy for the competition to resume at all.

Rams

Juniors

Frustrating for some clubs no doubt who would have had easier fixtures during the period, but I'm sure most will just be happy for the competition to resume at all.
This is causing flow on effects to the development to nrl standard and NSWRL cup. The NSWRL have a bye weekend later this month hopefully they make a effort to reschedule a round that weekend.

Timmah

Staff member
This is causing flow on effects to the development to nrl standard and NSWRL cup. The NSWRL have a bye weekend later this month hopefully they make a effort to reschedule a round that weekend.
I think everyone understands that - but the public health response is the priority.
They will not be rescheduling though, it can't be made any clearer. All matches in all four competitions are declared COVID-Draws. 0-all, every team gets 1 pt per game.

rightleftin

Juniors
Apart from the fact that the games have already been declared as draws, there is no week off for the remainder of the season.

Tigers1986

Juniors
It is definitely sad, always not being able to play the last game for the year (without knowing it is) is never good.
Unfortunately due to the NRLW they had no other option except to play through covid which was not going to happen.
While it may seem harsh, only Mounties, Cronulla or Central Coast were going to win any way

It's Central Coast's comp to lose, for sure, but the fact that St Marys and Wests Tigers were denied the chance to even have a say in the matter, due to circumstances beyond their control, is a sore spot. Could've done the games without a crowd until COVID-protocols like the men? I mean, they managed it with the Origin game.

Timmah

Staff member
It's Central Coast's comp to lose, for sure, but the fact that St Marys and Wests Tigers were denied the chance to even have a say in the matter, due to circumstances beyond their control, is a sore spot. Could've done the games without a crowd until COVID-protocols like the men? I mean, they managed it with the Origin game.
I'm trying to follow what you mean here - there are literally no games being played outside NRL - which is at Level 4 COVID protocols (something a state level womans comp with part time players couldn't do).

Tigers1986

Juniors
I'm trying to follow what you mean here - there are literally no games being played outside NRL - which is at Level 4 COVID protocols (something a state level womans comp with part time players couldn't do).

My query was regarding why the women couldn't play without crowds so the finals could run as scheduled. COVID protocols are the reason why [after looking into it]. I stand by the disappointment that both teams are eliminated due to something completely out of their control, which is a shame for the competition. I would hope that if there ever is a next time, there are some other measures put in place to prevent this from happening again.

Rams

Juniors

This is
I think everyone understands that - but the public health response is the priority.
They will not be rescheduling though, it can't be made any clearer. All matches in all four competitions are declared COVID-Draws. 0-all, every team gets 1 pt per game.
round 20 is a bye round for the entire comp let’s hope NSWRL reschedule a make up make up game for this round. A COVIDdraw doesn’t develop first grade players.