What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rnd 24 V Wests Tigers

DinkyDi

Juniors
What hard yards are you referring to?

Also, you don’t not pick a player just because he has signed elsewhere for next season. Especially not in a premiership chance season, and when you already have a reduced roster due to Covid.
Brent Naden, and what I mean by hard yards, is by playing in the top side. Staines has not being bad by any means. Who said that I am picking on him? Staines has been there from the beginning, Staines is the future, Naden is not.

Kilkenny

Coach
Those extra meters mean very little really
I’ll take 15 runs for 150 metres as opposed to 7 runs for 70 metres everyday of the week. We won’t talk about the 4 runs for 15 metres because it doesn’t mean much really. It‘s pretty obvious to everyone why Charlie has been dropped even if there are a few on here who just can’t accept it.

Smug Panther

First Grade
I’ll take 15 runs for 150 metres as opposed to 7 runs for 70 metres everyday of the week. We won’t talk about the 4 runs for 15 metres because it doesn’t mean much really. It‘s pretty obvious to everyone why Charlie has been dropped even if there are a few on here who just can’t accept it.
Seems you don't value defence very highly. Naden is probably the worst in the comp

betcats

Referee
Naden also misses more tackles than he makes. He’s missed more tackles in 5.3 games than Staines has in 20.
He’s also averaging 2 errors a game vs Staines 1.25. Metres are great but looking at one stat is so bizarre.

Regardless theres only so many runs a team can make and I’d much rather To’o and Edwards taking the first/second tackle scoots than Naden, Momo, Crichton, Burton or Staines because they’ll simple be more effective runs because that is 90% of their game in possession. The other guys have different roles and picking a guy like Staines over Mansour shows the club values that.

Yep good post. Staines reads and ability to stick tackles has been very good all year, it’s a weakness of Naden he certainly has never defended as well as Staines has this year. Staines will get another shot definitely either this year or next, he defends well and finds the tryline often he is going to be a good player people judging him by his metres alone are looking at it very narrowly. As you have said if they wanted two metre eaters they would have kept sauce and let Staines go.

mxlegend99

Referee
Being objective, why would you do that. In Nadens half a dozen appearances his run metres are 130-140 per game average, noting the Broncos game he was interchange player who played 20 minutes or so. Charlie in 20 games averages 85 metres per game. It’s fine to have favourites, I understand that, but Staines hasn’t been good enough for what we need right now.
Brain snaps and poor defence are why. He's a liability.

Doesn't need to be Staines. i don't like Momirovski. But would feel less like he will cost us massively in a game on the wing than Naden.

Naden can be great. But he can be horrible too. Come finals we cant afford to have him in the team unless we have no choice

This year we have better alternatives

betcats

Referee

No ones arguing he got dropped. The games more than about than just metres though. Sauce made more metres than mom or Naden last night but he was definitely the shittest winger on the field, he gifted us great field position multiple times and we took advantage of it.

DinkyDi

Juniors
I am one of those. Yes he should be looking for more work, however, Staines has done some great work, e.g. stopping a certain Addo-Carr try.

maple_69

Bench
On the flip side I reckon a side like the Dogs could be great for Naden. He’s passionate, wholehearted and the odd dumbass play won’t cost them a premiership. I still think he’s made big steps over the past 2 years and in the right environment can be a really good winger.

betcats

Referee
I like Naden I’ve got no problem with him getting picked over Staines right now but his defence is a concern for sure. Over the course of a season I think Staines will definitely stop more tries and very likely score more tries also that’s pretty easy to see watching them play and in their stats imo.

snickers007

Juniors
The decision to play Staines will come down to whether Edwards is right to play I think. No way you drop Momo at this stage.
Unless Staines is gonna play left wing?

Edwards will be given every chance, and the long turn around will help. But Kikau's gotta have a solid melon, who knows how bad the concussion is.

Girds89

Bench
The staines debate has been done over and over again.

Theres a reason why he has been dropped from the 21 all together for the last few weeks...

Blade said something the other week along the lines thst hes ok, and just been a tough first season in the nrl. (Cant remember exactly his words)

Im not in the know like blade but just from the outside looking in, its pretty obvious charlie has struggled with the physicality of the nrl. He has had some nice finishes but we really havent seen him in open space once all year.. i dont remember a single time where he wasnt in a try scoring position but i thought he looked dangerous carrying the ball. Not once. For all the talk of his speed we just havent seen it in attack unless its last pass before a try..

Hes obviously watched his old team mate daine laurie come in and kill fg and not struggle with the physical side. He watched tiny come in and really have a very good debut and not struggle physically.. tiny also looked dangerous just in general territory a few times too..

So other than struggling physically his confidence could just be down. He definitkey seems one of the quiter ones in the team.

Anyway, if ivan thought he was a better option than critta,naden or tiny hed be in the 21 at the moment..

Hes not.. he has things to work on.

At the end of the day all the stats on here dont really mean much. Ivan watches them all week long. If he was the best man for a wing spot atm hed be in the team..

Some argued on here how good ivans been at developing players and i said this year his had a mixed bag. Some have kicked on and others have gone backwards.

I called for staines to be dropped very early in the season. Dropped to go back to nsw cup as it was still on when i was calling for him to go down. If hed gone down than he couldve worked on a few things and came back up later with more confidence etc. If ivan had done that earlier in the year we may have been seeing much more of charlie at this point in the year.

Alas, we havent, hes been dropped really that late in the year that i think he wont feature again..

So whilst naden might have his downsides he also has his diamonds and hes one of those blokes that if he makes a mistake he works his butt off for the team to make up for it..

I can remember countless times last year naden never giving up on long kicks that looked like they were going dead etc to get results.

Nadens intercept the other week really shows how he backs himself. Hed made 2 mistakes leading up to it but backed himself amd it was a 12 point turn around. Does staines have the confidence to do that? Im not sure but we havent seen it this year.

For the speed staines has you cant coach... you cant coach nados x factor and determination..

At the end of the day they both have there pros and cons. But ivans the best man to pick the 17 and staines isnt in at the moment.

Can we all agree that we should put the strongest 17 out there next Sunday to simply annihilate the Round 13 premiers?

These pretenders still think they can make the 8 so, regardless of their performance today, our team should be at its strongest possible to not only flex a little muscle before the finals, but to send these wannabes back down to their rightful place of another absentee note from the finals.

WestyLife

First Grade
Can we all agree that we should put the strongest 17 out there next Sunday to simply annihilate the Round 13 premiers?

These pretenders still think they can make the 8 so, regardless of their performance today, our team should be at its strongest possible to not only flex a little muscle before the finals, but to send these wannabes back down to their rightful place of another absentee note from the finals.

We'll put 50 on them.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
In relation to the Staines debate, I can’t help but recall that DWZ, Hetherington, even bloody Sione Katoa had rabid defenders on here….

Girds89

Bench
Also a lot gets made of charlies try scoring strike rate (which is brilliant) but nadens strike rate on the wing is just as good.

Considering wingers are always always the top try scorers every year by far.

And nados played roughly 50% of his games for penrith at centre (a position where you dont score anywhere near as much as wingers) and 50% on the wing.

His 24 tries in 36 games is brilliant too! If hed played 100% of his games on the wing like staines id say hed be on easily half a dozen or so more.

Big Mick

Referee
I'm sorry but Staines last 4-5 games were so bad, he should have to earn a spot on the training ground.

There was one game, where he had like 2 runs and honestly - it was borderline cowardly.

Personally - I think he's 10kg too light - he gets rag-dolled far too often and never bends a line back and constantly gets dominated in a tackle.

Even in the last 4 games he played he was making poor defensive decisions he wasn't making earlier in the season.

No player should be immune to being dropped - whether he is your favourite or based on contract. His form was awful.

I'd go with Taylan May instead of Naden - because he did enough to warrant another chance - but it wont happen.

Girds89

Bench
I'm sorry but Staines last 4-5 games were so bad, he should have to earn a spot on the training ground.

There was one game, where he had like 2 runs and honestly - it was borderline cowardly.

Personally - I think he's 10kg too light - he gets rag-dolled far too often and never bends a line back and constantly gets dominated in a tackle.

Even in the last 4 games he played he was making poor defensive decisions he wasn't making earlier in the season.

No player should be immune to being dropped - whether he is your favourite or based on contract. His form was awful.

I'd go with Taylan May instead of Naden - because he did enough to warrant another chance - but it wont happen.
Mostly the debate on here is staines has to be wing becase his speed means he can finish tries others cant.

Well nados strike rate on the wing is as good as his as i pointed out. So really that argument doesnt stand up.

And the other argument is hes a good defender. Which compared to others that could play on the wing i just think is a rubbish argument. Critta almost stopped an impossible try on gagai last night. For a second i thought he was going to hold him up. No way staines could do that.

I like charlie but imo he has a lot to work on before coming back into the nrl. And for me, im not even sure he can be an nrl quality winger.

Id back taylan in too but unfortunatley ivans not gunna go that way this year.

For now im happy with nado.. i can take his few silly mistakes with his brilliant moments.

When to'o is back he drops out imo.

Cant see cleary breaking up the momo critta combo this late in the year.

Latest posts