What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rnd 25 V Parramatta

GongPanther

Referee
Should be primed for this game, and know where we stand as far as the MP is concerned as the Storm play in the earlier game. Still think a 24-12 score to us is as good as it'll get.

murraymob

Coach
Gutherson not playing .And I think parra are going to rest a few players .Interesting to see if we do the same

MugaB

Coach
No Reed Mahoney yet they beat Melbourne,
If we win against the eels, and c r onulla beat a depleted storm, maybe we get the minor premiership

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Ivan indicated in the presser than he wouldn't be resting players.
I think this is the best move for us as we have had several players miss games thru injury, suspension and covid protocols. We should just keep building towards the finals.
As today showed we need to work on our combinations and set plays.

Girds89

Bench
Id rest nath, yeo, api. They are all crucial to success and i dont see the point playing them in a nothing game. Even if the MP is up for grabs id still rest them.

Play kurt falls at halfback so luai can keep combos going with the left side.

Kenny at hookerand tmay at lock to get some minutes into him and maybe a bit of confidence going into the finals.

Wont happen but.

The_Frog

First Grade
Id rest nath, yeo, api. They are all crucial to success and i dont see the point playing them in a nothing game. Even if the MP is up for grabs id still rest them.

Play kurt falls at halfback so luai can keep combos going with the left side.

Kenny at hookerand tmay at lock to get some minutes into him and maybe a bit of confidence going into the finals.

Wont happen but.
To be honest I think Api needs all the minutes he can get. Whether May's 25 minutes today was enough match fitness for him is the coach's decision.

Girds89

Bench
If we do play a full strength team, id love to see spencer on the bench instead of may. I know its a risk not to have cover for injury, but the thought of him kikau and tpj coming on at once is almost unstoppable. Would love to see it.

Abacus

Juniors
If we do play a full strength team, id love to see spencer on the bench instead of may. I know its a risk not to have cover for injury, but the thought of him kikau and tpj coming on at once is almost unstoppable. Would love to see it.
I'm in the "Spencer is overrated" camp. He hasn't come on this season as expected by many on here...needs another couple of years to mature by the look of it.

I still prefer Kenny instead of May on the bench as I think the only spot we can't cover mid-match is hooker. And Kenny >>>>> May in terms of dummy half and middle defence.

The_Frog

First Grade
I still prefer Kenny instead of May on the bench as I think the only spot we can't cover mid-match is hooker. And Kenny >>>>> May in terms of dummy half and middle defence.
While all this is correct, May's advantage is that he can cover more positions, and so if we do have an injury the disruptions will be minimal. It's kind of like insurance. If May wasn't in the plans he wouldn't have played today.

Abacus

Juniors
While all this is correct, May's advantage is that he can cover more positions, and so if we do have an injury the disruptions will be minimal. It's kind of like insurance. If May wasn't in the plans he wouldn't have played today.
Surprised this myth continues to endure...

Abacus

Juniors
What myth ? May is capable of playing most positions on the field if needed. Even front row at a push.

A myth is a story which is not true. Perhaps you need to use a more appropriate word when discussing May.
Nup, myth covers it pretty accurately.

Need to actually think about where he is going to play when he comes on...
Fullback - not before Crichton;
Wing - nup
Centres - my god, please don't let us relive that nightmare!!
Halves - not before Burton & I'd probably shift Api to halves before wanting May there (so having Kenny on the bench);
Lock - Yeo should play 80 in finals but, if injured, Martin 1st choice, then Kenny.
Backrow - just won't happen with Kiks, Capewell, Martin & now TPJ.
Front row - pfft...please, not a serious option for NRL finals..
Hooker - per previous post, Kenny >>>>> May.

If you look at team balance, rather than supposed "coverage", May's not in the discussion.

The_Frog

First Grade
He already played fullback before Crichton against the Storm. If May were not in the discussion, he would not have got a game today. Even if it's only to come in if Kenny goes down. You keep them both match fit. Cover as many contingencies as possible.

For the same reason I think Spencer will get a run next week.

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
Nup, myth covers it pretty accurately.

Need to actually think about where he is going to play when he comes on...
Fullback - not before Crichton;
Wing - nup
Centres - my god, please don't let us relive that nightmare!!
Halves - not before Burton & I'd probably shift Api to halves before wanting May there (so having Kenny on the bench);
Lock - Yeo should play 80 in finals but, if injured, Martin 1st choice, then Kenny.
Backrow - just won't happen with Kiks, Capewell, Martin & now TPJ.
Front row - pfft...please, not a serious option for NRL finals..
Hooker - per previous post, Kenny >>>>> May.

If you look at team balance, rather than supposed "coverage", May's not in the discussion.
And yet he's still played all those positions (except Wing and Prop) this season.

It's been explained many times, his utility value is not being the best option to fill any position mid match, but allow others to remain in their best position for the remainder of the match. Eg. you weaken one position instead of two.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And yet he's still played all those positions (except Wing and Prop) this season.

It's been explained many times, his utility value is not being the best option to fill any position mid match, but allow others to remain in their best position for the remainder of the match. Eg. you weaken one position instead of two.

Some folks don't understand the role of a true ultility. I didn't like his off field behaviour......(though it's been dealt with by the law of the land).

As snickers says May is able to play those positions mid game if needed, without weakening other positions. We wouldn't have won the Melbourne game at the end without him.
Just one example of his role in the team.

Original Name

Juniors
Surely you see the value in a ball playing lock in our attack? Every good team has a ball playing lock and every team shit team doesn't. It's not a coincidence that happened for all 16 teams. May's not Yeo and I think we're making up the numbers without Yeo but we have to someone there who's capable of doing being a link. Eiso over Martin if anyone.

Eisunhuth came on in one the latest games he played at lock and we looked more dangerous. Think it might have been his second last game before his rib injury. The one against Brisbane maybe.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
He already played fullback before Crichton against the Storm. If May were not in the discussion, he would not have got a game today. Even if it's only to come in if Kenny goes down. You keep them both match fit. Cover as many contingencies as possible.

For the same reason I think Spencer will get a run next week.
Haha, round 3. 20+ weeks ago. You don't think things have changed in that time with Crichton now 2nd-choice FB. Probably part of the reason he's playing on the wing now is to improve his kick returns - also least disruptive to move a winger to FB.

Of course May is in the discussion for bench selection...it's Ivan doing the selecting.

I'm not sure where you get Spencer into the side - bench bigs of Kiks, TPJ & Sorensen looks set now...

Latest posts