What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly. Comes back to the balance argument. Mansour has another contract and we get a try scorer. Those half dozen half chances will be more likely converted now.

Pretty much this. Having Capewell and May on more may result in less metres gained but will help the attack. All part of evolving as a side

soc123_au

Staff member
Only real sucess (in my opinion) was the donkeys. A place with TPA's ti burn and basically the whole of south queensland to choose from.

Dragons were ripe for a premership Bennett did little, and then turned the place to mud.

I think the bloke is very over-rated.....
Bellamy on the other hand, turns very average players into something special. I wonder if this will happen with Mom ?

The bolded part is a myth. Bellamy is a great coach, but most players go backwards considerably once out of his systems. Cronk being an exception. Inglis got by being a genetic freak & I believe would have been better had he been able to stay at Melbourne. The rest you wouldnt feed compared to what they produced for Bellamy.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The bolded part is a myth. Bellamy is a great coach, but most players go backwards considerably once out of his systems. Cronk being an exception. Inglis got by being a genetic freak & I believe would have been better had he been able to stay at Melbourne. The rest you wouldnt feed compared to what they produced for Bellamy.

I'm probably thinking of a pretty small sample size. I thought Clint Newtown, Bryan Norrie, improved markedly after being in his system. He carried on what he learnt when he played with other clubs, including Penrith. Clink was at best a good club man after being in Storm system, he was able to fulfill a role within a team. Give me time I will think of more.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm probably thinking of a pretty small sample size. I thought Clint Newtown, Bryan Norrie, improved markedly after being in his system. He carried on what he learnt when he played with other clubs, including Penrith. Clink was at best a good club man after being in Storm system, he was able to fulfill a role within a team. Give me time I will think of more.
Norrie couldnt get established until he went to the Storm

Club
Years
Team Pld T G FG P
2004–05 St. George Illawarra 7 0 0 0 0
2006–07 Penrith Panthers 28 0 0 0 0
2008–09 Cronulla Sharks 25 0 0 0 0
2010–14 Melbourne Storm 121 8 0 0 32

Newton was a Newcastle product who had a cameo at the Storm

2001–07 Newcastle Knights 100 12 0 0 48
2007 Melbourne Storm 15 4 0 0 16
2008–11 Hull Kingston Rovers 100 40 0 0 160
2012–13 Penrith Panthers 46 6 1 0 26
2014–15 Newcastle Knights 12 1 0 0 4

I don't think I'm glossing over it. I just see it as we have gone from stacked down to a normal nrl forward pack under the salary cap.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to you, just a general observation. But the problem is I think a lot of our success was built on our prop rotation. Plus not all the changes were because of the salary cap, Ivan said the Tetevano release request caught them by surprise.

Jane Murray

Bench
Emerging Panthers star Matt Burton’s agent asks for immediate release to Bulldogs
“He is surplus to their top team so let him go now.”

BY
BEN COTTON
-
EDITOR IN CHIEF
FEBRUARY 8, 2021

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 12: Matt Burton of the Panthers looks dejected after an Eels try during the round five NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the Penrith Panthers at Bankwest Stadium on June 12, 2020 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Matt Burton’s agent David Riolo has asked for the Panthers to release the rising star to Canterbury immediately.

The young gun has signed with the Bulldogs for 2022 and 2023 with a player option for a potential third season in a major coup for Trent Barrett’s side.

One of the game’s most exciting young players, Burton would be limited for first-grade opportunities at the Panthers in 2021.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Riolo believes it is a disservice to Burton not releasing him now.

“I am not upset with Penrith,” Riolo said.

“Penrith have been really good and developed the kid.But both parties should move on, it (will be) better for all of them. He will lose a year of first grade if he stays.”

Asked if Burton wanted a release, Riolo responded:”100 per cent.”

Riolo said it would be best for all parties if the 20-year old was released now as Penrith could move on from a player that doesn’t want to be there.

“In my opinion it is better if Matt Burton goes to the Bulldogs now,” he said.

“It is better for Matt Burton. It is better for Bulldogs. And it is better for Penrith because they remove a surplus player who doesn’t really want to be there.

“He wants to be somewhere else.”

He added that while Burton has trained with the top squad all pre-season, the young gun would rarely feature in the first grade this season.

“He trains with the top squad but he is not in the top team. He is surplus to their top team so let him go now.”

Burton has played six NRL games, including five in 2020, since making his debut in 2019.

Hooked

Juniors
Emerging Panthers star Matt Burton’s agent asks for immediate release to Bulldogs

BY
BEN COTTON
-
EDITOR IN CHIEF
FEBRUARY 8, 2021

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 12: Matt Burton of the Panthers looks dejected after an Eels try during the round five NRL match between the Parramatta Eels and the Penrith Panthers at Bankwest Stadium on June 12, 2020 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)
Matt Burton’s agent David Riolo has asked for the Panthers to release the rising star to Canterbury immediately.

The young gun has signed with the Bulldogs for 2022 and 2023 with a player option for a potential third season in a major coup for Trent Barrett’s side.

One of the game’s most exciting young players, Burton would be limited for first-grade opportunities at the Panthers in 2021.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Riolo believes it is a disservice to Burton not releasing him now.

“Penrith have been really good and developed the kid.But both parties should move on, it (will be) better for all of them. He will lose a year of first grade if he stays.”

Riolo said it would be best for all parties if the 20-year old was released now as Penrith could move on from a player that doesn’t want to be there.

“It is better for Matt Burton. It is better for Bulldogs. And it is better for Penrith because they remove a surplus player who doesn’t really want to be there.

He added that while Burton has trained with the top squad all pre-season, the young gun would rarely feature in the first grade this season.

“He trains with the top squad but he is not in the top team. He is surplus to their top team so let him go now.”

Burton has played six NRL games, including five in 2020, since making his debut in 2019.

After the Laurie/Momirovski swap I expected Burton's manager to try it on.

Jane Murray

Bench
After the Laurie/Momirovski swap I expected Burton's manager to try it on.

I was expecting this to happen before. We have the leverage, not the Bulldogs, or Matt's manager. I do believe Matt has made a massive mistake though.

WestyLife

First Grade

BY
BEN COTTON
-
EDITOR IN CHIEF
FEBRUARY 8, 2021

Tell him Burton won't play a game of first grade this year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I was expecting this to happen before. We have the leverage, not the Bulldogs, or Matt's manager. I do believe Matt has made a massive mistake though.

As I said in another thread......Dogs need to offer a good quality player for next to nothing....(Prop would be great)

For the club even to entertain the thought. Obviously Matt's manager looking for a little bonus.......too.

snickers007

Juniors
We would be mad to release Burton at this stage.

He's on bugger all money, doesn't have enough stroke within the playing group to effectively white ant the place, and is first drop if either Cleary or Luai go down injured (while the injuries didn't happen last year, they can happen at anytime).

I understand it from Burton's point of view, but the Panthers hold the upper hand here, and I really don't see a good reason to let him go.

MugaB

Coach
Its all bullshit, burton is quite happy sitting in reserves bench, he knows he'll be pressured to perform at the dogs, he has a real chance to win the premiership with us this year, he would be MADASf**k to want to pick up a spoon at the dogs early, especially if we win...
This is just manager spin to bump up his 10% to 13% if he leaves to belmore today instead of this time next year (as promised) only reason this is news is coz Laurie went early, if he didn't this is just another manic monday ooowwohooo...

WestyLife

First Grade
Its all bullshit, burton is quite happy sitting in reserves bench, he knows he'll be pressured to perform at the dogs, he has a real chance to win the premiership with us this year, he would be MADASf**k to want to pick up a spoon at the dogs early, especially if we win...
This is just manager spin to bump up his 10% to 13% if he leaves to belmore today instead of this time next year (as promised) only reason this is news is coz Laurie went early, if he didn't this is just another manic monday ooowwohooo...

A lot of truth to this. 2 injuries and Burton plays finals or possibly a GF.