What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

Nathan Cleary simply isn’t ready to be captain, he struggles with his personal performance in big games, and the whole co-captains thing is pure nonsense. You need a single team leader, not a committee.

betcats

Referee
Nathan was pretty much co-captain last season I dont really see the problem with Yeo there to take some of the pressure off him. Nathan was making most of the decisions on field last season and talking to the refs a lot, there were times Jimmy T would to Nathan to make a decision on what we were doing after a penalty etc.

WestyLife

First Grade
Not this co-captains bullshit again. It should’ve been Yeo by himself, the nepotism knows no bounds

I thought Yeo as well but your main playmaker really should be part of that leadership. This is a good move in my opinion especially with everyone saying Nathan chokes in big games. The relation doesn't automatically mean nepotism.

Whino

Bench
Cleary isn't ready but the club is thinking long term. Ivan obviously wants him as captain in the future.
I'd rather they name him co captain than knife Yeo in a few years time to get it.

I thought Yeo as well but your main playmaker really should be part of that leadership. This is a good move in my opinion especially with everyone saying Nathan chokes in big games. The relation doesn't automatically mean nepotism.

Name him VC then, there should only be a single captain and Yeo is clearly it. No way Nathan gets co-captain if his dad isn’t coach, he’s not ready.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nathan was pretty much co-captain last season I dont really see the problem with Yeo there to take some of the pressure off him. Nathan was making most of the decisions on field last season and talking to the refs a lot, there were times Jimmy T would to Nathan to make a decision on what we were doing after a penalty etc.

Who better to know whether to take the 2 or not than the half? Also Captain picks where the scrum goes so better to have the 7 involved. I think he would either way

You can't have a forward solely as captain regardless they spend to much time off the field. So just makes it offical is all

Yeo averages 70 mins a game, he’s not Tamou.

I don’t have an issue with Nathan being involved, my issue is conferring the same status on him as Yeo gets. Yeo should be captain and Nathan VC.

WestyLife

First Grade
Name him VC then, there should only be a single captain and Yeo is clearly it. No way Nathan gets co-captain if his dad isn’t coach, he’s not ready.

Most clubs seem to do co captains now rather than vice captain. Still they are both the leaders in different ways so makes sense.

panthersam

Juniors
Yeo averages 70 mins a game, he’s not Tamou.

I don’t have an issue with Nathan being involved, my issue is conferring the same status on him as Yeo gets. Yeo should be captain and Nathan VC.

Is it really that big of a deal? Do you think it will affect the way Nathan or Yeo play because of the way they have been named as co captains?

I say congratulations to the both of them, and I can’t wait to see them both lead our team to glory in the next 5-10 years!

Is it really that big of a deal? Do you think it will affect the way Nathan or Yeo play because of the way they have been named as co captains?

I say congratulations to the both of them, and I can’t wait to see them both lead our team to glory in the next 5-10 years!

Yeah I think it could really backfire with Cleary. He struggles in big games as is, naming his co-captain could be too much pressure. I’d rather he concentrate on improving dominating big games.

panthersam

Juniors
Yeah I think it could really backfire with Cleary. He struggles in big games as is, naming his co-captain could be too much pressure. I’d rather he concentrate on improving dominating big games.

I really think the struggling in big games is a myth that has been fabricated by both the media and opposition supporters who like to hate for any reason they can.

Okay so he didn’t have the best game ever in his first grand final at a very young age - most halves never even come close to producing the type of season that Nathan had last year let alone the fact that plenty of halves also will go through the whole career without seeing a grand final. We win that game by 1 point and Cleary would continue to get praised for one of the greatest grand final tries in history. I know we can say ‘yeah but that didn’t happen’, I’m just using that as an example to show how tiny of a change can seem to sway peoples opinions by so much.

Why does no one talk about the Roosters game in week one of the finals as a big game? The game where Nathan scored a hat trick of tries basically because he wanted it more than anyone else!

I’m not trying to have a go at you or anything mate, I respect everyone’s opinion who posts on these forums as they have the right to their own opinion. I just think too many people are still living in the past when it comes to the state of our club at the present, and where it looks to be heading in the future - and are inclined to just head to a negative way of thinking straight away.

I’m more of a glass half full than half empty kind of guy HAHA

betcats

Referee
I really think the struggling in big games is a myth that has been fabricated by both the media and opposition supporters who like to hate for any reason they can.

Okay so he didn’t have the best game ever in his first grand final at a very young age - most halves never even come close to producing the type of season that Nathan had last year let alone the fact that plenty of halves also will go through the whole career without seeing a grand final. We win that game by 1 point and Cleary would continue to get praised for one of the greatest grand final tries in history. I know we can say ‘yeah but that didn’t happen’, I’m just using that as an example to show how tiny of a change can seem to sway peoples opinions by so much.

Why does no one talk about the Roosters game in week one of the finals as a big game? The game where Nathan scored a hat trick of tries basically because he wanted it more than anyone else!

I’m not trying to have a go at you or anything mate, I respect everyone’s opinion who posts on these forums as they have the right to their own opinion. I just think too many people are still living in the past when it comes to the state of our club at the present, and where it looks to be heading in the future - and are inclined to just head to a negative way of thinking straight away.

I’m more of a glass half full than half empty kind of guy HAHA

Origin 2 also was a very impressive performance from him in a big game.

panthersam

Juniors
Origin 2 also was a very impressive performance from him in a big game.

Yeah another perfect example of how these narratives get built and people like to stick to them no matter what - no recognition for that big game (he got the recognition at the time, but no one supporting the argument that he doesn’t perform in big games would bring that up) but plenty willing to condemn him as not performing in game 3 when it was clear to see that not even the hybrid of Andrew Johns and Johnathon Thurston wouldn’t have been able to do anything on the back of the performance of the forward pack.