What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

Exsilium

First Grade
If we can wrap up the key guys in the next couple months and not have a circus about the squad being ripped up I’d be surprised if we didn’t go well. Luck with injuries can also wipe out a season from nowhere and there are plenty of players who could have second season syndrome.

I struggle to see anyone being able to handle the Luai/Kikau/Crichton/Staines edge though. That’s the Bunnies late season left edge on steroids.

That will be a decent edge however we need to ensure we have the go forward in the engine room and the service from hooker.

Api tapered off toward the end of the season and was not nearly as dynamic as he was earlier in the season.

We missed a big opportunity to rest him prior to the finals and give our true back up hooker, Mitch Kenny, a run.

We have a solid pack but I feel we're a little light on props. We can't rely on JFH and Leota. If Leniu stays, it helps but we need one more rotation prop with that hard work ethic to solidify the middle third. I feel Tamou will be a massive loss there if we don't fill that spot.

Overall, IC needs to improve his squad rotation and stop being so ridged. My feeling now is that the monkey is off his back from season 2019 and given our form this season, he should be comfortable using the squad across the 2021 season.

There's a bit of work required to see ourselves back in a GF next year.

franklin2323

Immortal
That will be a decent edge however we need to ensure we have the go forward in the engine room and the service from hooker.

Api tapered off toward the end of the season and was not nearly as dynamic as he was earlier in the season.

We missed a big opportunity to rest him prior to the finals and give our true back up hooker, Mitch Kenny, a run.

We have a solid pack but I feel we're a little light on props. We can't rely on JFH and Leota. If Leniu stays, it helps but we need one more rotation prop with that hard work ethic to solidify the middle third. I feel Tamou will be a massive loss there if we don't fill that spot.

Overall, IC needs to improve his squad rotation and stop being so ridged. My feeling now is that the monkey is off his back from season 2019 and given our form this season, he should be comfortable using the squad across the 2021 season.

There's a bit of work required to see ourselves back in a GF next year.

Api was possibly playing injured but him and Edwards are the keys. Luai will do his stuff the unknown we will have is Edwards ball playing

Exsilium

First Grade
Api was possibly playing injured but him and Edwards are the keys. Luai will do his stuff the unknown we will have is Edwards ball playing

One thing I noticed with the fullblack play with the Roosters, Storm and Canberra is their ability to time the backline movement and utilise the decoys correctly. This gave their FB's so much more time. We simply don't have that finesse yet.

If we fix the timing, I think Edwards will be far better off. He constantly got caught too far in the line and just surrendered the play. Get deeper and run your decoys.

With Kikau and Crichton (Potentially), we should be laying on tries with the options there.

mxlegend99

Referee
So one of the new rule changes for 2021 is 2 point field goals from 40+ out.

That has to be an advantage for us over most teams. Nathan kicks them as well as anyone and rarely misses.

I hope he goes for a couple each round. If he gets them that's awesome. But if the defence starts worrying about him going for a field goal that opens up a bit of space on the field which guys like Luai and Kikau can exploit.

Jane Murray

Bench
So one of the new rule changes for 2021 is 2 point field goals from 40+ out.

That has to be an advantage for us over most teams. Nathan kicks them as well as anyone and rarely misses.

I hope he goes for a couple each round. If he gets them that's awesome. But if the defence starts worrying about him going for a field goal that opens up a bit of space on the field which guys like Luai and Kikau can exploit.
I agree, however, the rule about the trainer, will benefit teams like the storm.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I agree, however, the rule about the trainer, will benefit teams like the storm.

How will it help teams like the storm ? I thought it will stop their sneaky ways at stopping play when opposition team is on the attack.....in an attempt to cease momentium and give the storm a breather'

Jane Murray

Bench
How will it help teams like the storm ? I thought it will stop their sneaky ways at stopping play when opposition team is on the attack.....in an attempt to cease momentium and give the storm a breather'
Think about how many times their trainers stops play when a player is "injured"? With the new rules, they will be able to replace that player with a fully rested up one.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Think about how many times their trainers stops play when a player is "injured"? With the new rules, they will be able to replace that player with a fully rested up one.

So will every other team too.

The injured player will have to stay off the field for at least 2 minutes. This will count as an interchange. It will stop trainers halting the game for cramp and the like.

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
So will every other team too.

I think the fine print will say that the player has to a recognised injury. (to be honest I haven't read it fully)

Trust me it won't be unlimited interchange for injured players.
I hope you're right. The storm is the best at twisting the rules to suit their needs.

Whino

Bench
They can't leave well alone. Every year they have to change something. What next? 5 points for an intercept try, or maybe 3 points for a try from a kick.
What about 3 points for a sideline conversion?
How about they concentrate on getting the on field calls right before bringing in more rules.

If they keep changing the rules every year we are going to look back in a few years time and not recognize the game.

How about they address a real issues in the game.
Rewarding clubs who develop players. Either through a salary cap dispensation, or when others clubs come to raid they pay a transfer fee.

Encourage other clubs with an incentive to develop players to lift the quality of the playing pool. So we can have 2 more teams elsewhere without thinning the talent. The quality of the rosters at other some of clubs the past few years have been abysmal.

Changing the rules so players can't sign for a rival club the following season before the current season starts. Then having to put up with the manager and media pressure over the Summer of whether he gets his release. I hate all that.

We don't need on field rule changes every year. Fix a few things off it and then leave it alone.