What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

possm

Coach
Money talks

We must be cashed up after losing so many players and signing no one.
Not if our cap is being used to sort out our Millward salary cap mess in preperation for 2022 and beyond. It must be the only reason why we have only signed bargin basement players for season 2021.

If we had the cap, why did we not make a play for so many of the forwards that were off contract at the end of 2020.

Griffin and Gentle have come from Clubs that made good use of TPA's, why have we not moved in that direction?

possm

Coach
Maybe you're right, but players like this don't come along every day.
I'd throw the check book at him. NOW
Yes, I agree! That is why I have in the past posted positively about the benefits of having B Smith as part of our squad.

However, the events of last week are the reason this matter has now risen to the surface:
1. C Smith retired and so will not join either the Titans or the Broncos. So both cubs are now chasing him.
2. The coin being offered would be much higher that what Melbourne have B Smith on right now given that the Titans and the Broncos has set asside salary cap and most probably TPA to secure C Smith for 2021.

Having said all this, I would love nothing better than to sign B Smith as the fill-in lock until a decision on De Belin is known and if De Belin becomes available as our 9 with McCullough moving to the bench for 2021.

Who knows, if De Belin does become available, maybe he would be of more use to our team at prop or on the right edge for season 2021.

LINESPEED

Juniors
It is absolutely terrible to see and read how many of our players, not all, who have left us seem to make massive improvements to the way they play under a different coach.

Yes DD
...it’s an appalling indictment of our Board & their absolute failure to deliver
good governance for our proud 100yr old Club
...via
its costcutting parochial coaching debacle
.... and its abrogation of a truly professional responsibility for its players
-especially its juniors, whose diaspora because of McGregor is a sight to behold

And no Dragons players in the top 15 ‘most influential players’ since 1980

And 4 captains in 2years rather says it all IMO

The Provan DNA for success long gone,
... adulterated & abused by fools

And Webby aside, for a decade now, it’s been a vicious up yours to the fan base

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Let me guess......
The Rorters will get him.
My understanding is that Brandon Smith has his sights firmly in the direction of the Broncos or Titans in 2022.
Apparently the story was that his parents/family have relocated from NZ to South East QLD to live and he wants to be close.
I cannot see the RedV having any chance of a player of his caliber!

Crush

Coach
My understanding is that Brandon Smith has his sights firmly in the direction of the Broncos or Titans in 2022.
Apparently the story was that his parents/family have relocated from NZ to South East QLD to live and he wants to be close.
You’re spot on, he wants to move to sunny QLD.
And you’re right again that we could not attract someone of his caliber.
Funny how the current holders of the wooden spoon though can!

Coffs dragon

Bench
You’re spot on, he wants to move to sunny QLD.
And you’re right again that we could not attract someone of his caliber.
Funny how the current holders of the wooden spoon though can!
Crush...it’s called astute recruitment & good management.
Our mob will probably target Karl Lawton after he was released from the Warriors and has an injury.....because he’s cheap & Millward is a recruitment lightweight.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Let's relocate St George to Qld solves many issues. De merge Illawarra can have a stand alone club again and Dragons become great again and we get Brandon Smith. Everyone is happy except me I like being St George Illawarra.

possm

Coach
Let's relocate St George to Qld solves many issues. De merge Illawarra can have a stand alone club again and Dragons become great again and we get Brandon Smith. Everyone is happy except me I like being St George Illawarra.
You're got to be joking! How about we reverse all the wrongs of the past:
Relocate the Sharks to Perth
Reclaim our name St George
Reclaim our Board, pay out WIN Corp / Gordons

The start a fresh with a voting membership.

Latest posts