What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Gareth67

First Grade
Anyhoooooow I so glad that the Brandon Smith rumor was just a rumor after all - thanks Brandon for clarifying matters . :flushed:

thebigredv

First Grade
Hopefully we are in there fighting for Nathan brown (eels) signature. Exactly who we need. Way better than frizell.

possm

Coach
Hopefully we are in there fighting for Nathan brown (eels) signature. Exactly who we need. Way better than frizell.
I'd be surprised if Parra will let him go. Yes he is a very good player and would fit into our pack like a glove. With Molo signed, he woldbe just the signing that would give our pack the right balance.

If our young backs can improve this season, 2022 could be a very special 17:

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa / Sloan
6. Bird
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Brown
13. De Belin

14. Ford
15. Alvaro
16. Kerr
17. Lawrie / Faamausili

Two new recruits, Molo and Brown and the return of De Belin, now that is a team that is worthy of the name St George Illawarra. And the two new signings are affordable with Norman, Merin, Dufty and Williame and possible more on their way.

The Dragons make the 4 and Griffin and his staff get their two year extension.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd be surprised if Parra will let him go. Yes he is a very good player and would fit into our pack like a glove. With Molo signed, he woldbe just the signing that would give our pack the right balance.

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa / Sloan
6. Bird
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Brown
13. De Belin

14. Ford
15. Alvaro
16. Kerr
17. Lawrie / Faamausili

Two new recruits, Molo and Brown and the return of De Belin, now that is a team that is worthy of the name St George Illawarra. And the two new signings are affordable with Norman, Merin, Dufty and Williame and possible more on their way.

I wish I had a magic wand for you Possm.

matPORTS

Juniors

1. Ramsey
2. Matt Feagai
3. Lomax
4. Max Feagai
5. Ravalawa / Sloan
6. Bird
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Brown
13. De Belin

14. Ford
15. Alvaro
16. Kerr
17. Lawrie / Faamausili

A team of this or similar 'quality' (even if we end up with different names / players in different positions to those mentioned + de Belin not returning) is definitely possible for 2022 and beyond.

A question that remains is how soon do we get Ramsey playing full back? He's not ready yet. In fact the greater question here is how soon do we shift from focusing on 2021 and begin future planning for 2022 and beyond?

LINESPEED

Juniors
Andrew Fifita (Sharks) coming soon after two knee operations. Are they serious?

Apparently Griffin spoke to Fifita at/after the reserve grade game - and NRL 360 were effusive about Hook’s judgment so far on AM, & Hunt as Capt etc

... & Kent thought the pursuit of Folau would’ve been good for the Dragons (and the NRL were on board)
& on the money
until the NRL got cold feet
....after the political correctness brigade took over.

Building for the future is OK, but can take years, so I rather subscribed to Flanagan’s buying up to win a premiership straight up & short term.

Time waits for no one

Certainly Fifita, Folau, Welsh etc could’ve hastened the process to top 4
.... but Waterboy’s legacy stifled Hook’s recruitment options

Ah that Fifita try under the posts won the Sharks the 2016 title.
....it can all happen that easily

Last edited:

Unsainty79

Juniors
I am going to presume that De Belin won’t be a Dragon next year. Not sure what’s going on the his personal affairs but I doubt the club can wait another year.

If you look at our squad, we have some great young players, granted, they’re a year or so off.

For me, I’m not re-signing Dufty, he is freakishly talented but continues to get found out in defence, this means that Ramsey moves to full-back, albeit probably a year too early. It does open up a spot on our wing & I think a spot in the centre’s will open up when Bird eventually moves to the backrow, probably mid-way through the year. I don’t think it’s the worst idea to look at the Morris boys for a year - no doubt they can help Ramsey & the Feagai boys in their development & won’t hinder their long term opportunities.

In terms of the halves, Hunt is there long term and Norman is off-contract. Again, Norman’s replacement in Sullivan is a year off I would think. Do you re sign Norman? His contact would presumably be at a significantly lower cost. I would prefer to give Sullivan the nod and let Clune play as back up.

With the front row, we had a massive problem last year with Lawrie, Vaughan and Graham all playing the exact style of football - one out hit ups. Without Graham and with Vaughan finding some form, Lawrie is looking good. I think you can only have one kind of Lawrie-style player in the team. Kerr is a different kind of front rower and is improving steadily; however, will never be a long term edge player, while Faamasulli looks decent. The addition of Molo is great. While we don’t really have a lock in the mould of Radley, Arrow, Murray Faasuemalui etc, there also isn’t many on the market. Maybe our best bet is to look for a decent edge back rower. The likes of Matterson, Su’a, Fitzgibbon & Peachey are all off contract and we do have some $ to spend.

Connor Watson is off contract and is a great utility and might be a solution to our 13 issue. He could provide experience in the halves, too. I don’t think he commands the $ the Knights have paid for him, so he may be a worthy investment.

A side looking like the below is not too far fetched and would allow us to not block the path of our good young players:

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame

redv13

Bench
I am going to presume that De Belin won’t be a Dragon next year. Not sure what’s going on the his personal affairs but I doubt the club can wait another year.

If you look at our squad, we have some great young players, granted, they’re a year or so off.

For me, I’m not re-signing Dufty, he is freakishly talented but continues to get found out in defence, this means that Ramsey moves to full-back, albeit probably a year too early. It does open up a spot on our wing & I think a spot in the centre’s will open up when Bird eventually moves to the backrow, probably mid-way through the year. I don’t think it’s the worst idea to look at the Morris boys for a year - no doubt they can help Ramsey & the Feagai boys in their development & won’t hinder their long term opportunities.

In terms of the halves, Hunt is there long term and Norman is off-contract. Again, Norman’s replacement in Sullivan is a year off I would think. Do you re sign Norman? His contact would presumably be at a significantly lower cost. I would prefer to give Sullivan the nod and let Clune play as back up.

With the front row, we had a massive problem last year with Lawrie, Vaughan and Graham all playing the exact style of football - one out hit ups. Without Graham and with Vaughan finding some form, Lawrie is looking good. I think you can only have one kind of Lawrie-style player in the team. Kerr is a different kind of front rower and is improving steadily; however, will never be a long term edge player, while Faamasulli looks decent. The addition of Molo is great. While we don’t really have a lock in the mould of Radley, Arrow, Murray Faasuemalui etc, there also isn’t many on the market. Maybe our best bet is to look for a decent edge back rower. The likes of Matterson, Su’a, Fitzgibbon & Peachey are all off contract and we do have some $ to spend.

Connor Watson is off contract and is a great utility and might be a solution to our 13 issue. He could provide experience in the halves, too. I don’t think he commands the $ the Knights have paid for him, so he may be a worthy investment.

A side looking like the below is not too far fetched and would allow us to not block the path of our good young players:

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame
Possm is going to froth over this comment

possm

Coach
I'm really counting on De Belin being available this year and I don't see Bird moving to the forward pack.

However I do congratulate you on the effort you put into your post. The problem I have is that we are not short of wingers or forwards if we sign Fifita. Both Sloan and Schiller are coming through and will most probably both make their debut on the wing.

Then we have the Feagai brothers coming through, both are currently playing at centre in reserve grade. And there is also Sullivan, Clune and Amon fighting it out for the 6 jumper when Norman moves on in 2022.

We do have some forwards to move on for 2022 and beyong but for this season, after we sign Fifita, and after De Belin returns, that will be about it. Griffin will have a good mix of forwards to choose from and it seems that he is hell bent on using Kerr on the edge. So I have a different line-up that looks to be competitive, affordable, and does not block the progression of our talented young juniors:
1. Ramsey
2. Feagai
3. Brid
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman or Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Fifita
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Kerr
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Alvaro
15. Faamausili
16. Lawrie
17. Fuimaono

In 2022 we will add Molo into the prop rotation.

Juniors

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame
That back row would get eaten up.

Como Connection

First Grade

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame
What has Fui done wrong this year, looks good to me.
CC

matPORTS

Juniors

1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Morris
4. Lomax
5. Morris
6. Sullivan
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Bird
12. Matterson/Peachy
13. Watson

14. Lawrie
15. Kerr
16. Faamasuali
17. Sims

Out:
Dufty
Norman
Pereira
Merrin
Williame

Admire the thoughts and the research you've put into this post...

However, the Morris brothers won't be returning to the Red V. We are well covered in the outside backs with the likes of the Feagais, Sloan, Schiller, etc likely to be frothing at the mouth for an opportunity before too long.

Bird won't be moving into the forward pack, and quite frankly I am starting to think his skills would be very much wasted there. Would much rather see him playing 1 or 6 before putting him into the pack.

If we can get Fifita (and yes I know there are a lot of hurdles to jump before this can happen) for the rest of this year (+ 2022) then we are covered . His signing will lift the rest of the pack with Molo also due next pre-season.

I'm happy to see how Kerr continues to develop on the edge. He is definitely not doing anything wrong at the moment. Yes - the edge is a problem. But I'm not sure whether the players you mention for recruitment targets here are what we need, given that we already have players of similar value proposition at the club who can simply be re-signed or promoted. Maybe Connor Watson at a stretch, and I'd rather us go after Nathan Brown than Ryan Matterson.

Dragon David

First Grade
It is good to see that our recruitment personnel are at work and even though Fifita is only a rumour at this stage, knowing from media reports that we have been doing some behind the scenes talks with I presume his manager shows that we are looking at a few guys. We should know by the end of April 2021 if we have JDB as he and Sinclair's retrial is set to begin on 12 April.
So by and large we could be much better off which could see us winning many games. I hope so.