1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

With recent criticism of players that one dimensional it is interesting to consider how many modern players fit into this category.; Aitken, Leilua, Dufty and now Cartwright are attack only players, just to name a few. They seem to hypnotise the press as they seem to look only at their ‘attacking‘ value to a team.

There’s something missing in the coaching coming through that so many players these days are so dominant in one area, yet so poor in other areas of their game. No fluke some of the best allrounders (tackle, run, pass) are playing for the Storm, Roosters etc).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Mjab, Gareth67, Dragon David and 2 others like this.
  2. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

Before some start throwing Joe O under the bus, lets take a look at his stats from last night:

Played 57 minutes (Carrigan 80)
    14 runs 126m (Carrigan 19/156)
    52 pcm (Carrigan 56)
    1 line break (Carrigan 0)
    13 hit ups (Carrigan 19)
    89.7% tackle efficiency (Carrigan 93
    3%)
    35 tackles 2 missed (Carrigan 56 1 miss)
    0 errors (Carrigan 2)

Joe O plays prop and Carrigan played at lock.
    If we are comparing apples with apples them Te'o was the other starting prop and Hopoate and Bullemore the bench props. Take a look at their stats before having a dig at Joe.

Agree, he's not playing up to his standard when selected for Origin, but who really is at the current last placed Broncs?

3. Draginzaaar

Draginzaaar Bench

36 tackles and 13 runs, not too bad. Made more meters except for Carrigan.

WoyD4LWoy and Gareth67 like this.
  4. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Turnstile?
    Attack FMD?

McNFI’s & Clone’s shared Lovechild

... & he’s thoroughly rooted both of them, although they haven’t yet joined the dots on that it seems

He couldn’t find a hole in Swiss cheese

And he fudges all his metres sideways
    ... when he’s not avoiding bombs, watching cutout passes float by, ball hogging & career-fuc/king juniors

A great coach’s arselicker though
    Browneye WTF

PS
    Late News
    The hammy option’s finally been taken

Lovechild Out v Knights!

Too late Deano - shoulda been a month ago when u were warned

Mjab and I'm Hornby like this.
  5. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

I have no doubt that some of the signings we get for next year for starters will not shake my tree
    And even keeping Norman because he would cost a lot to pay out for 1 year I will leave that to him.
    Cause at this stage I am backing the coach to get it... or try to make it right and it takes time
    It will take him maybe 2-3 years minimum (and probably a contract extension) with a bit of luck to be close to assembling the right roster to be challenging the top 4 or 5 regularly.

6. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

The pressure will be on Griffin from the get go by all and sundry, but patience is indeed needed after all of the non productive and unsuccessful previous years we have had with McGregor. It will be interesting to see what our performances will be like in 2021.

jak and True_Believer like this.
  7. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

8. Dragon set in stone.

Dragon set in stone. Juniors

Hey get smarty can you please copy the article its behind a pay wall. Thanks

9. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Not all of us are putting pressure.. well I can only speak for myself, all I expect is just a slow climb out of the cellar and continued Improvement on what we’ve been dished up with. Not hard for a half decent coach.
    Flanagan also could of done the same.

blacksafake and George Dragon like this.
  10. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Just another BS article to put a downer on things re-living why we let Frizzell go
    has not that all been done and dusted some time ago

11. possm

possm Coach

Maybe Millward has another job now.

LINESPEED likes this.
  12. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Yeah hopefully selling pies on the Red Devils canteen

....alongside Mc Fu/ck-He-Hasn’t-Opened-His-Mouth-For-a-Week

... who’ll be flogging copies of his new ghost-written Fox-sourced book with a forward by Phil Gould:

.... called ‘How To Trash Your Legacy’

Dedicated to “My Mate Ewey”

Tuddy likes this.
  13. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Gents the mans stats are impressive , more so when compared to the hardest- working player of the match . It would appear that I have pushed the poor devil under the bus just a little too quickly .

However fortunately for little Joe , the said bus merely bounced over him without leaving any permanent damage . But as I mentioned in my post I was not writing the man off , but did say that should he come to the Dragons then hopefully he would get himself somewhat trimmer and also become more interested in his game .

Last night he reminded me somewhat of a Georgie Rose - Mark 2 .

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    WoyD4LWoy likes this.
  14. be55

be55 Juniors

Just heard Hook on 2gb calling the Roosters v Sharks game make the comment "you always judge a good fullbacks performance by how many tries they save not how many they score"
    Better start packing your bags Duff...

I'm Hornby, SAP58, ALSGI and 4 others like this.
  15. redv13

redv13 Juniors

Lovely. See ya matey :wave_tone1::wave_tone1:

I'm Hornby, be55 and WoyD4LWoy like this.
  16. Dragons 09

Dragons 09 Juniors

The more he speaks the more i like him!

I'm Hornby, SAP58, epDragon62 and 4 others like this.
  17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

He’s right too, and taking kicks on the full. Great attack is a bonus but the fundamentals come first.

Dragon David, be55 and blacksafake like this.
  18. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

I too am warming to Hook more and more.

For the whole post-Bennett era a constant frustration has been how poorly we execute the basics and how we defend (even setting aside the lack of intimidation). If Hook can improve these things, even with the current troops we will move up the ladder.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  19. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

As many players like Soward have said about Bennett, he simplified the game by giving each player a simple job to do and each working together like a cog in a machine. This is what we have been missing imo, and I believe Hook will bring. We have players like Aitken that can’t put his winger over. Fullback that won’t contest highballs, halves that can’t find the grass with kicks. And no real combinations between anyone other than maybe Lomax, Rava and Dufty. No short balls from our 7 onto surging backrowers, no Dufty sniffing around the middle for an offload. The list goes on, I just want players that can all do their job and do it collectively.

Drakon, Tuddy, I'm Hornby and 7 others like this.
  20. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

You have expounded well here Forbes. Where did all the skills and abilities and combinations and back-up go? McGregor and his merry men ambushed our players to play submissively in the end. Come on Hooksy, get the players out of the woods and lead them on their march to glory once again.

Forbes Creek Dragons and ALSGI like this.