What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

possm

Coach
Report from Danny Weidler on Twitter that Tristan Sailor has been told officially he is not part of our plans for 2021. Right or wrong not sure how you make a decision when he was not given an opportunity to win a conract and we continually selected a non performing Corey Norman. Maybe we just got in first before he told us he was leaving.
I'd say Griffin is really going to bring Maloney to the Dragons even if Norman is still here in 2021. Maloney at 7 running the team with either Hunt, Sullivan or even Dufty at 6 will be a huge upgrade in our halves. Once Norman realises he has been dropped, his manager will soon find a new club with no compensation to his salary needing to be made because he will be in his final season at the Dragons.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I hope Hook has our halves sussed out. Sailor unfortunately doesn't make the grade so is Maloney in the picture. Why can't we find a young bloke. Penrith have we excess 5/8 Mat Burton rings a bell but everyone is after him. Been quiet so are we looking there.
I've said it before but check if this is a true analogy " you never win a competition without a good 6 and 7".
Of course you need the others but that is a fact

George Sancti

Juniors
Whist Anthony Griffin was not in my top three for the head coach position, and I am saddened to see a good young player like Sailor leave the club, I believe that we may be witnessing the early stages of a considered and balanced recruitment strategy.

It seems that Anthony Griffin may have determined which young players he needs to retain and further develop, and now has his sights on more experienced and hardened imports. I also believe that he will not shy away from making tough decisions and will not try to disguise past recruitment errors.

redVinme

Bench
I hope Hook has our halves sussed out. Sailor unfortunately doesn't make the grade so is Maloney in the picture. Why can't we find a young bloke. Penrith have we excess 5/8 Mat Burton rings a bell but everyone is after him. Been quiet so are we looking there.
I've said it before but check if this is a true analogy " you never win a competition without a good 6 and 7".
Of course you need the others but that is a fact

All four of Penriths halves would walk into our current spine

Cleary
Luai
Burton
May

All better than hunt and Norman.

Can't keep em all.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Whist Anthony Griffin was not in my top three for the head coach position, and I am saddened to see a good young player like Sailor leave the club, I believe that we may be witnessing the early stages of a considered and balanced recruitment strategy.

It seems that Anthony Griffin may have determined which young players he needs to retain and further develop, and now has his sights on more experienced and hardened imports. I also believe that he will not shy away from making tough decisions and will not try to disguise past recruitment errors.
He has two years to impress so he will not f$##k about.

boardlumps62

Juniors
All four of Penriths halves would walk into our current spine

Cleary
Luai
Burton
May

All better than hunt and Norman.

Can't keep em all.
So first grade opportunity for .....I am going Burton.
But whose chasing him. Hook might know him and has hook got his deputy's yet. Gareth Brennan direct line to Penriths Junior System.

redVinme

Bench
So first grade opportunity for .....I am going Burton.
But whose chasing him. Hook might know him and has hook got his deputy's yet. Gareth Brennan direct line to Penriths Junior System.

Rumour is Barrett wants him.

I think Jerome has been crazy good this year too. May as the utility has been good and would even be an option as a bigger 6 to partner Sullivan.

All a dream though having 2 Mil tied up in tweedle dumb and dumber

Gareth67

First Grade
Looks as if Jack Hethrington will be going to the Sea Eagles as a replacement for Fonda Blake . Every club bar the Dragons has been mentioned as a likely suitor . . .

redv13

Bench
Looks as if Jack Hethrington will be going to the Sea Eagles as a replacement for Fonda Blake . Every club bar the Dragons has been mentioned as a likely suitor . . .
The only issue with the young fella is that his judiciary record is already screwed. Minor offences will now become major weeks missing . Couple of brain snaps a season and there goes 6, 8, 10 rounds of footy over the year. Very high risk all of a sudden, great mongrel but a bit of a short fuse

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I can't see why Maloney would be in Griffins plans. He's 34 yrs old and still has 2 years to run on his Catralans contract (probably big $$).

Maloney himself may be "homesick' or isn't enjoying life in France (who would be with COVID rapidly on the increase again) however, at his age and basically a year out, would it be viable?

Our halves situation won't be resolved, I feel, until the JDB case has been determined as the result impacts us through the halves, hooker and lock positions.

We'll, unfortunately, will have to endure the antics of Norman for another year as he is adverse about playing in the ESL and very, if no, interest from any NRL club.

As our halves stock already includes, Norman, Hunt, Clune, Sullivan, Amone and Wishart, it's hard to see where the likes of Maloney fit in and probably explains the Sailor move on.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think it’s 23 games played and already missed 10 weeks with suspensions over the last 3 seasons :flushed::flushed:

I didn’t realize that his judiciary record was that bad . However the right coach may be able to tame that wild streak and turn it in to pure footy aggression - as in tackling alone .

Still there are a number of forwards out there whom the Dragons should be making an effort to at least speak to , for instance Brendon Smith would be worth a large chunk of our supposed $1.5 mill. war chest .

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I didn’t realize that his judiciary record was that bad . However the right coach may be able to tame that wild streak and turn it in to pure footy aggression - as in tackling alone .

Still there are a number of forwards out there whom the Dragons should be making an effort to at least speak to , for instance Brendon Smith would be worth a large chunk of our supposed $1.5 ill. war chest .
That young fella is all ticker and goes a million miles an hour. Great future

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Rumour is Barrett wants him.

I think Jerome has been crazy good this year too. May as the utility has been good and would even be an option as a bigger 6 to partner Sullivan.

All a dream though having 2 Mil tied up in tweedle dumb and dumber
I think the players in the NRL that are/were available that would transform our side the most in the shortest period of time would be Burton and AFB. AFB is a dickhead and not on the table anymore and Burton is highly unlikely since Baz looks to have poached him. But in a fantasy universe those 2 players would instantly change our side and get us finals bound imo.

possm

Coach
Yep, really it's pretty easy to get rid of Norman. Drop him to the reggies, and if he doesn't ask for a release to find a new club he'll know he'll never get another contract.
Hello Gypsie, good to see you back in action; my old Possm Pen guard.

getsmarty

Immortal
Last edited:

Latest posts