What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt backs de Belin to adjust to new game
  • National Sport News
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jack de Belin has been backed by the Dragons to make a successful return to rugby league.

• St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt says Jack de Belin is one of the best NRL forwards he has played with as the Dragons lock prepares to make his rugby league return in reserve grade.

Dragons players and coaching staff will be at Lidcombe Oval on Saturday to watch de Belin play his first game in two-and-a-half years against Western Suburbs.

It will be the first chance Anthony Griffin will get to have a close up look at his $3 million dollar forward, who has been subject to the NRL's no fault standdown since the start of 2019 while he defended himself against rape charges.

After two trials ended in hung juries, the NSW Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions formally withdrew charges this week, opting not to push through with a third trial, freeing de Belin to continue his rugby league career.

Should he play well in what is expected to be a 40-minute stint against the Magpies on Saturday, de Belin has a chance of making his NRL return against Brisbane next weekend.

The game has changed a lot while de Belin has been sidelined, but Hunt backs the 30-year-old to adjust quickly.

"It's definitely different," the Dragons skipper said.

"He's been out for a while now and there have been a lot of different changes that have come into the game.

"But Jack's a real professional, he always has been - and he always looks after himself and trains hard.

"He's a fabulous player and I think he'll adapt pretty well to the new way the game is."

De Belin trained with the NRL side in 2019 and 2020 under former coach Paul McGregor.

But once Griffin joined the club at the start of this season, he moved de Belin back to train with the reserve grade team to remove the distraction of his presence.

"I've had a bit of a chat with him and he's excited," Hunt said.

"It's a fair weight off his shoulders and he's excited to get on with his life and playing some footy. He's still been training the whole time he's been out.

"He adds a lot.

"Defensively he's one of the best forwards I've ever played with.

"The way he defends and in attack, he's got some halfback-like traits when he's got the ball in his hands."

Hunt said there's a sense of relief within the team now, knowing that de Belin is available to play whenever Griffin thinks he's ready.

"We've been behind Jack the whole way and everyone's been hanging on every time a bit of news has come, hoping that it's going to be good," Hunt said.

"We're finally there now and everyone's excited to have him back."

Australian Associated Press
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/7274583/hunt-backs-de-belin-to-adjust-to-new-game/?cs=14238

jeffdragon

Bench
Each year at the start we look forward to the start of the season.
Then by half way through we've had enough .
Our season is done and we look.fkrward to next season
Same shit for 10 years.

getsmarty

Immortal
‘It’s unfair’: De Belin’s lawyer unloads on NRL’s no-fault stand-down rule
e96bb1894842377bd446b06367bcc490ecef25b8

By Adrian Proszenko
May 28, 2021 — 7.30pm
Jack de Belin’s lawyer has taken aim at the NRL’s controversial no-fault stand-down policy, declaring the policy is “unfair” and “needs revision”.

De Belin is free to resume his NRL career after prosecutors formally withdrew four sexual assault charges against him on Friday. The St George Illawarra forward maintained his innocence throughout and the Director of Public Prosecutions directed there be no further proceedings after the first two trials resulted in hung juries.

Sexual assault charges have been formally dropped against NRL star Jack de Belin, paving the way for his return to the sport.

De Belin has been sidelined for the past two-and-a-half years and the outcome has brought the no-fault stand-down rule into the spotlight. His lawyer, David Campbell SC, said the policy needed to be scrapped or amended.

“Plainly, this rule does need revision,” Campbell told the Herald. “My position has always been clear, and it’s only a personal view, that the presumption of innocence is central.

“It’s pretty unfair that a young bloke has his career taken away from him for two-and-a-half years whilst he has to go through the process of demonstrating that he’s done nothing wrong.

“Once the prosecution drops the charges, it’s as if the charges never were brought. Somebody or a group of people need to have a look at the rule.

b1e57fcafe4f7641fd120f8400b9f5672313b2dd

Dragons player Jack de Belin.Credit:Steven Siewert

“I understand the philosophy underpinning it, but there at least needs to be some scope for discretionary amelioration of the harsh consequences on young people who have a very finite sporting career.”

The Dragons paid de Belin more than $1 million while he was sidelined, yet were unable to select him or terminate his contract over fears the club would be sued. The NRL introduced the hardline policy to placate concerned sponsors, but Campbell said his client’s case exposed its flaws.

“Rules are brought in for all areas of our life,” he said. “As circumstances evolve after a rule comes in, the rule-making body certainly should look at the appropriateness of the rule and consider whether it needs revision.

“Whether that is some sort of discretionary provision or whether it means its removal or whether it means watering it down; that’s for the people who make the rules to look at and factor in into the future.

“They should look at the circumstances and say ‘This wasn’t intended by our rule, these circumstances show we need to give some further consideration to the content of the rule’. It’s only common sense, isn’t it?”

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys on Friday said he felt “sorry” for de Belin, but said the game needed to protect its interests.

“The way [former ARLC chair] Peter Beattie Beattie [introduced the rule] is one of the greatest bits of leadership I have seen in my career,” V’landys said during a radio interview with 2GB.

“We had a major problem, it had to be addressed. Our commercial partners were threatening us and we had to consider the game as a whole. That’s what we did, we took one of the toughest stances in Australian sport and we had to, we had to protect the game.”

Under the NRL rule, players charged with an offence carrying a maximum prison term of 11 years or more are automatically stood down until their court proceedings are finalised. V’landys said the coronavirus impacted the speed at which the legal system could deal with the matter, but Campbell said there was always a chance the case could stretch on for years.

“As a lawyer, I certainly could have foreseen [the delays],” Campbell said. “It’s frequently the case that criminal proceedings that have to go to a district court and a jury take three years to conclude. Frequently that happens.

“In the meantime, our youth rot on the vine. It doesn’t seem aequitas, it seems absurd. He has to re-establish himself on the football field and there’s a new wave of young people coming through that he has to try to overtake.”

De Belin’s lucrative Dragons contract will now take effect, which will offset legal fees that have been estimated to go beyond the million-dollar mark. The former NSW lock is considering launching defamation actions against several news outlets over their coverage of the case.

Asked about his legal options, Campbell said: “It’s not the right time to be talking about things like that.

“At the moment it’s about being appreciative of the system we have in Australia that allows the presumption of innocence to remain paramount, to appreciate the fact the director of Public Prosecutions has sensibly realised the inherent weaknesses in the cases that have been brought.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

thebigredv

First Grade
Am I the only one a little perplexed by the amount of money we are throwing at a player who we have been incredibly loyal to over a rough time??

Don't get me wrong, his 2018 form is exactly what this team needs right now. Between him Sims, Rav and Bird we can break a few ribs of our opposition but he is being offered big coin for someone out of the game so long and as someone that owes a debt of gratitude.

Maybe I am wrong but we paid out his last contract in full when he wasn't playing and now are offering him more or just as much in the new one? What am I missing guys?

be55

Juniors
Burns will be a good player..keeper

Mate...His defence is absolutely terrible...even the tackles he manages to make lack any intent or aggression...if he ever wants to be a mainstay in first grade he'll have to learn how to tackle properly but from what I've seen of him, he's a long way off ever being able to do that...

He's a complete defensive liability and no where near first grade standard...

Just my opinion...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I hope he does not get extra attention by the refs or should I say bunker when he resumes and he gets a fair go. As we can now see, there is no consistency in the game when it comes to sin bins, suspensions and the review committee. What 1 player does in not treated the same as others that is for sure e.g Kafusi.

BLM01

First Grade
I hope he does not get extra attention by the refs or should I say bunker when he resumes and he gets a fair go. As we can now see, there is no consistency in the game when it comes to sin bins, suspensions and the review committee. What 1 player does in not treated the same as others that is for sure e.g Kafusi.
What sin bin?... send offs?
that was a blast from the past from the trials in magic round... like the contested scrums
Oh how the NRL know how to sneakily backpedal

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mate...His defence is absolutely terrible...even the tackles he manages to make lack any intent or aggression...if he ever wants to be a mainstay in first grade he'll have to learn how to tackle properly but from what I've seen of him, he's a long way off ever being able to do that...

Just my opinion...

Not disgreeing with you, but some perspective comparion from last night:

Burns:
played 58 mins
37 tackles
6 missed

Sims:
Played 80 mins
35 tackles
4 missed

BLM01

First Grade

Just my opinion...
Correct..your opinion, mine differs, thats OK too!
As I said I think he will be..not that he is right now. He is still young and learning the rigours

getsmarty

Immortal
Not disgreeing with you, but some perspective comparion from last night:

Burns:
played 58 mins
37 tackles
6 missed

Sims:
Played 80 mins
35 tackles
4 missed

And Burns has also not been a regular in the top grade....This year will be a growing experience for him...will more than likely be a better player for the run and probably off the bench next year.

mickeylane

Bench
I reckon we are in for a few players to land 2 to fill in the the 1 and 6 positions - I think we are in for

DWZ from bulldogs potential FB
Milford potential FB or 5/8
Hynes potential FB or 5/8

getsmarty

Immortal
PHOTOS: 968 days later, de Belin returns to rugby league
5972b157d0d4815d2f805b44fa454aed

Jack De Belin pictured playing his first game since 2018. Picture: Sam RuttynSource: News Corp Australia
Staff Writers from Fox Sports
May 29th, 2021 4:10 pm
Jack de Belin has made his return to rugby league, 968 days since his last game.

De Belin ran out for the Dragons against Magpies in the NSW Cup at Lidcombe Oval on Saturday. They lost 26-18.

It was his first game since 2018, having been stood down by the NRL after being charged with rape.

On Friday the sexual assault charges against him were dropped by the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions.

He started from the bench in the No.19 jersey. He was supported in the crowd by his partner and friends, as well as a number of other Dragons.

It is the first step in his journey back to the NRL.

Security was boosted for the clash, and guards were on high alert for offensive signs.

De Belin is set to return to training with the Dragons’ first-grade squad next week, though it is unclear when he will line up in the NRL. However, reports from the St George Illawarra camp state that he is in elite physical shape. De Belin’s new contract with the Dragons runs until the end of the 2023 season.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo stood by the policy that saw De Belin scrubbed out of playing for almost three years.

“We make no apology for taking the hardest stance in Australian sport where our players are charged with serious criminal offences. We cannot remain indifferent to such charges, particularly those against women,’’ he said in a Thursday statement.

“The “No-Fault Stand Down” rule upholds the values of the game, protects the game’s commercial relationships and provides safeguards for the very small number of players who find themselves the subject of serious criminal charges.

“This is an example of our processes working. Jack continued to be employed by the club and was able to extend his contract with the Dragons during the process.

“The rule worked as it should.”

bdb69b82a44931b0e8ade108008bdb6d

Jack De Belin pictured playing his first game since 2018. Picture: Sam RuttynSource: News Corp Australia
a3a8004af043982492a1022b062f66aa

Jack de Belin makes a tackle.Source: Matrix
2b19e615bcdd6612ddc1869a17f614b7

Alyce Taylor, Jack's partner pictured watching with new born baby strapped to her chest. Picture: Sam RuttynSource: News Corp Australia
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/59b171768e122f3d54aa442872c7a520

P.S Thanks @Dragonslayer