What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022-23 off-season incidents

mozza91

Coach
I swear every post career indiscretion Burgess cops is punishment for the amount of knock ons he made that were inexplicably called strips during his career.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

Canard

Immortal
I fear that Sam is not going to make the Souths 10 year 2014 GF reunion, at this rate.

The guy seems to be struggling in retirement and I'm not sure what the cure is.

Is it CTE? Depression? Or both?

Chimp

Bench
Accountability wouldn’t go astray.
I hate that their poor behaviour almost always is linked to potential mental health problems straight away - it’s an insult to those who are genuinely suffering.
Rugby league players (myself included), at best, are generally a bit rough around the edges, the ones lucky enough to make a good living from the sport are generally on that path from teenage years, they are looked after in every sense of the word throughout their career, their daily routine, their diet, their social life, their poor behaviour is repeatedly actively covered up, including substance mis-use….. when they stop playing, the generally lose all that support and revert to type.
I don’t think that’s a mental illness, it’s someone ill prepared for real life and it’s subsequent consequences.
Sam has always been a ‘Billy big bollocks’, man about town, bit of a dick…. It’s just catching up with him.

Wb1234

Referee
I hate that their poor behaviour almost always is linked to potential mental health problems straight away - it’s an insult to those who are genuinely suffering.
Rugby league players (myself included), at best, are generally a bit rough around the edges, the ones lucky enough to make a good living from the sport are generally on that path from teenage years, they are looked after in every sense of the word throughout their career, their daily routine, their diet, their social life, their poor behaviour is repeatedly actively covered up, including substance mis-use….. when they stop playing, the generally lose all that support and revert to type.
I don’t think that’s a mental illness, it’s someone ill prepared for real life and it’s subsequent consequences.
Sam has always been a ‘Billy big bollocks’, man about town, bit of a dick…. It’s just catching up with him.
Great post

many are spoiled brats

they get loads of media money and girls from a young age and are used to clubs covering up their misdemeanours

then they retire back to a normal life and the lack of attention is an issue

They live in a bubble that’s for sure. I watched an interesting YouTube video about premier league players going bankrupt after retirement. A lot of the key points there probably factor into NRL players struggling after retirement as well (just on a smaller scale). Income goes from exorbitant amounts to almost nothing, no one managing their affairs to a T, their best years are behind them and they know it & when it comes to a lot of careers they’re essentially about 10-15 years behind their peers when attempting to enter the field.

it probably doesn’t help that the bar for “good bloke” is probably a little bit lower among the footy boys too.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Broncos have stood down TC Robati as he is to face court for sexual assault

TC Robati has today stood down from all club activities, following an alleged incident at a Brisbane venue in December.
Robati, 21, will face court next month after being charged last Saturday (December 24) with one count of sexual assault, following the alleged incident that took place during the playing group's Christmas leave period, on December 21.

The Club reported the incident to the NRL Integrity Unit as it became aware of the matter.
It is alleged that Robati inappropriately placed his hand on a female.
Brisbane Broncos CEO, Dave Donaghy, said: "We have accepted TC's position in standing down from all club activities.
"There is now a legal process in place and that needs to be respected and adhered to.
"We fully acknowledge that this is a serious matter and as a club, we are strongly opposed to any situation that involves the intrusion of personal boundaries with members of the public.
"The Board and I will review the matter further following TC's court appearance in January."
As the matter is now before the courts, the Broncos will at this stage not be making any further comment, so as to not prejudice proceedings.