What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Ignore him wookie, he’s a tool.
I admit I give Wookie a hard time because he`s pro afl on an NRL site, but he is freely open with his allegiances and it`s not like he`s out to deliberately bait people, so fair enough.
Now yourself, you`re a strange one. You claim to be a League fan and make occasional statements like, " if we get a deal like that next time " and " hopefully next time .." which go to support your claim. Yet you are in this long running dispute with obviously dedicated League fans over the details of NRL v. afl broadcast deals.
The thing that I find extraordinarily odd, and a bit disturbing really, despite the fact whether you are right or wrong, everything you have written could have been put up once, maybe twice, absolute outside three times, yet you have posted it literally dozens of times with people who you must know will never agree with you, it`s almost like in some perverted way you are trying to grind them into the ground.
And all on a Rugby League site, while claiming to be a fan.
I`ve seen arguments like this on other sites, normal people usually state their case, as I said once maybe twice then leave it. The fact that you need to go on and on about this is a little odd and suggests an extremely strange state of mind. Surely you can`t enjoy doing that. Surely not.
Einstein said the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Maybe not madness but very odd to say the least.
Look within yourself and work out what motivates you to be that way, I`d be very interested to know.

Wb1234

Referee
I admit I give Wookie a hard time because he`s pro afl on an NRL site, but he is freely open with his allegiances and it`s not like he`s out to deliberately bait people, so fair enough.
Now yourself, you`re a strange one. You claim to be a League fan and make occasional statements like, " if we get a deal like that next time " and " hopefully next time .." which go to support your claim. Yet you are in this long running dispute with obviously dedicated League fans over the details of NRL v. afl broadcast deals.
The thing that I find extraordinarily odd, and a bit disturbing really, despite the fact whether you are right or wrong, everything you have written could have been put up once, maybe twice, absolute outside three times, yet you have posted it literally dozens of times with people who you must know will never agree with you, it`s almost like in some perverted way you are trying to grind them into the ground.
I`ve seen arguments like this on other sites, normal people usually state their case, as I said once maybe twice then leave it. The fact that you need to go on and on about this is a little odd and suggests an extremely strange state of mind. Surely you can`t enjoy doing that. Surely not.
Einstein said the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different outcome. Maybe not madness but very odd to say the least.
Look within yourself and work out what motivates you to be that way, I`d be very interested to know.
For an afl fan Wookie isn’t so bad

he’s literally providing the ammunition for us to show how nrl is number one on tv which is a huge win for rugby league

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
For an afl fan Wookie isn’t so bad

he’s literally providing the ammunition for us to show how nrl is number one on tv which is a huge win for rugby league
Yeah sure, although his site SportsIndustry is a bit painful, but expected as him being a fumbleball cheerleader.
What we really need is someone who loves League in the same way to start a similar site so I don`t have to wade through all the fumbleball stuff. That`d be ideal, and I`d never have to go there again. No offence wookie.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeah sure, although his site SportsIndustry is a bit painful, but expected as him being a fumbleball cheerleader.
What we really need is someone who loves League in the same way to start a similar site so I don`t have to wade through all the fumbleball stuff. That`d be ideal, and I`d never have to go there again. No offence wookie.
once the dolphins come in I think we can work it out for ourselves the gap will be so large

already the nrl club competition is surpassing afl (ignoring New Zealand). I find it incredible 15 nrl clubs can generate higher ratings than 18 afl clubs

then there is our rep games which are good for another 12 million more viewers

I’m sure we can assume as well that New Zealand would be good for another 7 million viewers pa too

plus with all the close games it appears that foxtel games are breaking records all the time

The_Wookie

Bench

The problem with the site is it grew out of what was primarily an AFL business site in 2011 - the NRL stuff didnt really kick in until 2014, and i didnt give a damn about others until around 2017-18. although another part of the problem is that there is a lot of AFL information available that isnt for other codes - and that can also lead one to assume favouritism when its usually just quantity of data. Twitter is more my primary operation, while the site gets updated somewhat haphazardly. Im trying to change that, there'll be more data coming through on past NRL tv ratings, memberships and finance,

There was someone who did NRL ratings on twitter a few years back, but didnt last long, i suspect for the same reason i had to stop for a bit - Oztam really hate people tabling their data.

its what the data says. Now whether the raw numbers are enough is another question.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
Top rating matches this season

Code Round Date Day Time Home Away Cons 7 Total
AFL 1 16/03/22 Wed 1910 Melbourne Western Bulldogs 1,436,000
AFL 6 25/04/22 Mon 1520 Essendon Collingwood 1,415,000
AFL 2 25/03/22 Fri 1950 Sydney Geelong 1,203,440
NRL 1 10/03/22 Thu 2005 Penrith Manly 1,180,970
NRL 4 01/04/22 Fri 2005 Penrith South Sydney 1,153,560
AFL 1 18/03/22 Fri 1950 St Kilda Collingwood 1,153,460
AFL 4 08/04/22 Fri 1950 Geelong Brisbane 1,132,280
NRL 1 11/03/22 Fri 2005 Brisbane South Sydney 1,126,370
AFL 1 17/03/22 Thu 1925 Carlton Richmond 1,105,560
AFL 6 24/04/22 Sun 1925 Richmond Melbourne 1,080,560
AFL 5 14/04/22 Thu 1940 Brisbane Collingwood 1,055,800
NRL 3 25/03/22 Fri 2005 South Sydney Sydney 1,037,950
AFL 6 22/04/22 Fri 1950 GWS St Kilda 1,034,120
NRL 5 08/04/22 Fri 2005 Brisbane Sydney 1,028,730
AFL 5 18/04/22 Mon 1520 Hawthorn Geelong 1,010,280
NRL 7 22/04/22 Fri 1955 Brisbane Canterbury 1,006,820

Perth Red

Post Whore
I persevere in the forlorn hope I might one day get through to the less informed. Sometimes knocking down a wall can take a while. If people spout nonsense then I try and reply with what ever facts we have to hand. It doesn't make me an afl fan or any lessor a RL fan. But it leads for some debate or in most cases just argument :)

Maybe you should be asking people who ignore the evidence why they persevere with a point that is wrong?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
"At the end of round 7 of the 2022 NRL season, total aggregated viewing has reached 35.333m viewers at an average of 631,000 per match. These viewers watched a 59m hours of NRL so far this year."

That is absolutely insane, so since round 5 our average audience figure has actually increased from 611 000 to 631 000 per match.
Traditionally FTA loses about 5% per round and Pay about 1000 viewers per round ( I`ll check that but it`s something like that ) and we have completely reversed that trend.
This is even before two of our traditionally high ratings teams ( Broncos, Cowboys ) run of good form kicks in and gives the ratings a push. Mental.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"At the end of round 7 of the 2022 NRL season, total aggregated viewing has reached 35.333m viewers at an average of 631,000 per match. These viewers watched a 59m hours of NRL so far this year."

That is absolutely insane, so since round 5 our average audience figure has actually increased from 611 000 to 631 000 per match.
Traditionally FTA loses about 5% per round and Pay about 1000 viewers per round ( I`ll check that but it`s something like that ) and we have completely reversed that trend.
This is even before two of our traditionally high ratings teams ( Broncos, Cowboys ) run of good form kicks in and gives the ratings a push. Mental.
This year has been much better on the field than the last 2. People turned off by the recent hash of rule changes seem to be coming back to the game this year thankfully. Crowds are tracking just above our normal avg as well. good news.

Hey Cowboys are third!

The_Wookie

Bench

additional FTA game in ANZAC round and the Easter Long weekend will do that.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I persevere in the forlorn hope I might one day get through to the less informed. Sometimes knocking down a wall can take a while. If people spout nonsense then I try and reply with what ever facts we have to hand. It doesn't make me an afl fan or any lessor a RL fan. But it leads for some debate or in most cases just argument :)

Maybe you should be asking people who ignore the evidence why they persevere with a point that is wrong?
Why, does it really matter ? they`re just League fans like you. Do you really expect them to say OK you`re right I`m wrong. No my friend there is more behind this than just informing the less informed. There is some strange yet interesting psychology going on behind this. Quite what that is I can`t put my finger on yet, but I`m working on it.
And it isn`t debate in any way shape or form, this whole thing could have been done and dusted in two pages.
It`s not unlike the famous episode of Fawlty Towers with the visiting psychiatrist, to quote him :
" there`s enough material here for an entire convention ".

Wb1234

Referee

Foxtel is through the roof

Wb1234

Referee
Why, does it really matter ? they`re just League fans like you. Do you really expect them to say OK you`re right I`m wrong. No my friend there is more behind this than just informing the less informed. There is some strange yet interesting psychology going on behind this. Quite what that is I can`t put my finger on yet, but I`m working on it.
And it isn`t debate in any way shape or form, this whole thing could have been done and dusted in two pages.
It`s not unlike the famous episode of Fawlty Towers with the visiting psychiatrist, to quote him :
English league fans are jealous of Sydney because it’s one of the worlds major cities and league is the dominant football code

the only city where league is the dominant football code in England is Wakefield. And hardly anyone in England knows where that is

Perth Red

Post Whore
haha, either that or I'm just an argumentative bugger :)

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
This year has been much better on the field than the last 2. People turned off by the recent hash of rule changes seem to be coming back to the game this year thankfully. Crowds are tracking just above our normal avg as well. good news.

Hey Cowboys are third!
It`s a funny old world though, I was talking to Gary Bridge yesterday, ex- Balmain, Roosters five-eighth, never watches the game any more, can`t stand the wrestle.
Tells me that player numbers are very strong in our Group this year, that always makes me happy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It`s a funny old world though, I was talking to Gary Bridge yesterday, ex- Balmain, Roosters five-eighth, never watches the game any more, can`t stand the wrestle.
Tells me that player numbers are very strong in our Group this year, that always makes me happy.
We're seeing some good growth in jnrs over here in the West as well. Always a struggle in enemy territory and with little funding but there is about 5 new clubs have popped up in last few years which is good signs. Just hope Twiggy doesnt snaffle them all with the squillions hes spending on Jnr RU!

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
English league fans are jealous of Sydney because it’s one of the worlds major cities and league is the dominant football code

the only city where league is the dominant football code in England is Wakefield. And hardly anyone in England knows where that is
I`m a regular on an large English Rugby League forum, yes quite a few do have a problem with Australians, but I`ll tell you something for certain, the vast majority absolutely love NRL and get up early every weekend to watch it. They sing the praises of the speed and quality of our game from the roof tops.

Wb1234

Referee
I`m a regular on an large English Rugby League forum, yes quite a few do have a problem with Australians, but I`ll tell you something for certain, the vast majority absolutely love NRL and get up early every weekend to watch it. They sing the praises of the speed and quality of our game from the roof tops.

I’m well aware of trl

I read trl

English league fans are just built differently. Scratch the surface and most are premier league fans