What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Iamback

Coach
Its what the data showed last night. Ill be going over it again more thoroughly tomorrow, but on the face of it, yes.

Nines metro ratings havent been anything to write home about, and nine regionals arent what they used to be either. This figure didnt include BVOD though which averages another 30,000 per game.

The biggest hit to FTA was Covid. Forced people to streaming services.. Where they have stayed

The fact you can watch another game before what is on ch9 is an added bonus

Wb1234

Referee
Its what the data showed last night. Ill be going over it again more thoroughly tomorrow, but on the face of it, yes.

Nines metro ratings havent been anything to write home about, and nine regionals arent what they used to be either. This figure didnt include BVOD though which averages another 30,000 per game.
Says a lot about nines coverage that more people would rather pay for it than get it for free

also explains the drop in origins in ratings too (partly)

nine are just awful

Iamback

Coach
Says a lot about nines coverage that more people would rather pay for it than get it for free

also explains the drop in origins in ratings too (partly)

nine are just awful

You don't think Fox having a game at 6pm leading into the 8pm game has any say in it?

FTA is good for exposure but most RL fans want to watch every game

Iamback

Coach
The basic structure of NRL broadcast timeslots hasnt changed since 2017.

no but access has. Kayo is the big game changer instead of asking a small % what they watched.

Kayo picks those exact people up. To an extent apparently if only counts people who click on the tiles? Not live channel streams?

What is it now 15 games now over a 1m? I doubt the game has grown that much more popular. Just that data is more accurate now

As a non league fan. Do you think the game has grown as much as the data says?

Billythekid

First Grade
no but access has. Kayo is the big game changer instead of asking a small % what they watched.

Kayo picks those exact people up. To an extent apparently if only counts people who click on the tiles? Not live channel streams?

What is it now 15 games now over a 1m? I doubt the game has grown that much more popular. Just that data is more accurate now

The game hasn’t grown more popular but it has become more accessible. With Kayo and streaming it’s just so easy to watch the game wherever. Like at the hospital when we’re on bed block you can see all the ambos there watching the NRL on their phone.

Improved accessibility and Kayo being MUCH cheaper than fox plus a general move of people towards streaming services has lead to a big uptake of people watching the game on subscription services.

Ch9 being ducking garbage has also helped.

The_Wookie

Bench

Foxtel Now/Play included Foxleague and was available from 2017.

Iamback

Coach
The game hasn’t grown more popular but it has become more accessible. With Kayo and streaming it’s just so easy to watch the game wherever. Like at the hospital when we’re on bed block you can see all the ambos there watching the NRL on their phone.

Improved accessibility and Kayo being MUCH cheaper than fox plus a general move of people towards streaming services has lead to a big uptake of people watching the game on subscription services.

That is how I see it too.

Instead of pub or radio. Then tuning into ch9.

Kayo for everything and streaming numbers are exploding

Iamback

Coach
You said access was key. Im simply pointing out that access has been available since 2017. Hell Kayo started in November 2018.

This isn't a RL only thing. All sports are benefiting from Kayo. When did Kayo start publishing ratings though? It wasn't early on

For me the fact I can watch a game after it starts from the beginning.. Is great

Or Sunday afternoon I can watch on my phone while doing work in the yard or Garage. Has been watching more games then was possible when needing a set top box

Perth Red

Post Whore

We also didn't used to get the Telstra streaming figures. As many migrated from Telstra to Kayo with the cheap deal we now get those figures included.
I was sat in Grill'd in Perth on Friday and the dad and 2 kids on table in front where all watching the Friday night NRL game on one of the kids phones lol.

In summary I think Kayos boom in last two years is due to; 1. people migrating from Telstra, 2. More people getting used to watching streaming during covid making it now the norm 3. Technology upgrades of Tv's and phones, tablets etc during covid as people spent money on tech rather than holidays making streaming more accessible plus fast internet, 4g and 5g becoming the norm.

Iamback

Coach
We also didn't used to get the Telstra streaming figures. As many migrated from Telstra to Kayo with the cheap deal we now get those figures included.
I was sat in Grill'd in Perth on Friday and the dad and 2 kids on table in front where all watching the Friday night NRL game on one of the kids phones lol.

In summary I think Kayos boom in last two years is due to; 1. people migrating from Telstra, 2. More people getting used to watching streaming during covid making it now the norm 3. Technology upgrades of Tv's and phones, tablets etc during covid as people spent money on tech rather than holidays making streaming more accessible plus fast internet, 4g and 5g becoming the norm.

It has shown how outdated FTA really is

Wb1234

Referee
You don't think Fox having a game at 6pm leading into the 8pm game has any say in it?

FTA is good for exposure but most RL fans want to watch every game

That’s kinda creepy bro

siv

First Grade
You said access was key. Im simply pointing out that access has been available since 2017. Hell Kayo started in November 2018.
Improved network to the home has been the fame changer

Just like Satellite access was 25 years ago

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Does anyone have the rating figures for the womens SOO from last night?
236 000 metro which usually means about 140 000 regional. Foxtel had 158 000 stb which translates to about another 140 000 on Kayo. BVOD figures on Nine will probably add about another 20 000.
So all up I`d roughly estimate about 700 000. The game itself deserved twice that figure at least.

236 000 metro which usually means about 140 000 regional. Foxtel had 158 000 stb which translates to about another 140 000 on Kayo. BVOD figures on Nine will probably add about another 20 000.
So all up I`d roughly estimate about 700 000. The game itself deserved twice that figure at least.
yea something between 700K & maybe up to 750K
I think that beats last year ? & is extroidnary for a domestic womens sporting contest

was an outstanding game too
just first class entertainment.