What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Wb1234

Referee
The Bears shouldn’t get any favours if they are playing 4 home games at NSO. It would be the worst decision of all on top of a whole series of questionable decisions.
This all belong in the expansion thread but I just don’t think we need 4 teams in SEQLD and we certainly don’t need it right now. Give the new team time to grow and allow the GC to get more of a footing.

There are so many other more pressing places to expand.
That’s what Aussie tv broadcasters want

which then allows the arlc to add the next team from somewhere else off the back of the strength in Queensland

Perth Red

Post Whore
We need to see if 'The' attract the Brisbane audience we are looking for. If they do then there will be no need for a 3rd Brisbane club. If they don't, well then we fcked up expansion!

Billythekid

First Grade
That’s what Aussie tv broadcasters want

which then allows the arlc to add the next team from somewhere else off the back of the strength in Queensland
f**k the Aussie broadcasters. We’ve been giving channel 9 and fox exactly what they want for decades and they just keep f**king us over. We gave them MNF, TNF, Friday 6pm, super Saturday, all games on fox, night time GF, almost all games played at night etc. Where has bending over for the TV networks got us?

Also I want to see the evidence. The AFL just got possibly the most impressive TV deal of my lifetime and they did it off the back of low rating expansion teams. Show me the proof that adding more heartland teams will suddenly make the networks give us more money.

The only 2 expansion teams we’ve added this century have been in bloody SEQLD and y’all are already talking about adding more.

Let’s stop with this BS that Perth is some risky expansion funded by a new Brisbane team. They’re in a far better position than the storm were when we added them and they will be a powerhouse in no time.

Shit I’ll guarantee that in no time we’ll have the same merkins talking down adding Perth suddenly complaining how it’s unfair cause 1 town teams have a huge advantage.

Colk

First Grade
f**k the Aussie broadcasters. We’ve been giving channel 9 and fox exactly what they want for decades and they just keep f**king us over. We gave them MNF, TNF, Friday 6pm, super Saturday, all games on fox, night time GF, almost all games played at night etc. Where has bending over for the TV networks got us?

Also I want to see the evidence. The AFL just got possibly the most impressive TV deal of my lifetime and they did it off the back of low rating expansion teams. Show me the proof that adding more heartland teams will suddenly make the networks give us more money.

The only 2 expansion teams we’ve added this century have been in bloody SEQLD and y’all are already talking about adding more.

Let’s stop with this BS that Perth is some risky expansion funded by a new Brisbane team. They’re in a far better position than the storm were when we added them and they will be a powerhouse in no time.

Shit I’ll guarantee that in no time we’ll have the same merkins talking down adding Perth suddenly complaining how it’s unfair cause 1 town teams have a huge advantage.

This is such a great post. People advocating that we do what the broadcasters tell the game to do seem to disregard the fact that there is an inherent conflict between what the broadcasters want, what advertisers want and what the game wants or needs.

Iamback

Coach

Storm for all their success aren't the model forward, they had teams go under to fill their roster

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm for all their success aren't the model forward, they had teams go under to fill their roster
you miss his point entirely lol. 41k members, high tv audiences above avg crowds and ongoing success on the field within 20 years I think is the point he is making, not how they started up.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nailed it! Everyone agrees Tv has spent half its time devaluing the game so it can buy it cheaper. Now some merkins want to listen to them again about what we should do next? Please!

Wb1234

Referee

That’s not reality though

fact is broadcasters control our game more than afl

we can either work with them and get some new teams or we can get none

dolphins were a superb choice as team 17 as is shown already with their corporate partners they have signed

anyway Perth bears are still a chance for team 18 off the back of the dolphins though I would pick nz2 before them

Wb1234

Referee
You know you could pick a suburb like mt Druitt and with all the islanders there they could generate more nrl players than a Perth ever could

people just want to make the nrl a carbon copy of the afl with dots on a map when there is little evidence to say we need teams in Perth or Adelaide over other places on the east cost or neghbouring countries

they literally just got 2 million watching their showpiece event and they claim to be the national code where expansion has been a success (it kinda hasn’t though)

Colk

First Grade
That’s not reality though

fact is broadcasters control our game more than afl

we can either work with them and get some new teams or we can get none

dolphins were a superb choice as team 17 as is shown already with their corporate partners they have signed

anyway Perth bears are still a chance for team 18 off the back of the dolphins though I would pick nz2 before them

That’s because we let them.

Again, asking them to pick the expansion team gave us what 15m p.a or something that barely covers their costs. Doing it again would be the definition of insanity and again give us very little

Colk

First Grade
You know you could pick a suburb like mt Druitt and with all the islanders there they could generate more nrl players than a Perth ever could

people just want to make the nrl a carbon copy of the afl with dots on a map when there is little evidence to say we need teams in Perth or Adelaide over other places on the east cost or neghbouring countries

they literally just got 2 million watching their showpiece event and they claim to be the national code where expansion has been a success (it kinda hasn’t though)

It’s been successful enough to give them how much more per year in revenue even excluding the TV deal they got?

Wb1234

Referee
That’s because we let them.

Again, asking them to pick the expansion team gave us what 15m p.a or something that barely covers their costs. Doing it again would be the definition of insanity and again give us very little
They renegotiated it mid contract

their full value will be in later tv deals

dave smith tried to work against foxtel.

how did that go for us and him ?

Wb1234

Referee
It’s been successful enough to give them how much more per year in revenue even excluding the TV deal they got?
Over the extra large grants those teams get ? Seriously doubt that.

and they are stuck funding those lemons forever

if I was afl boss my biggest concerns are why nobody on tv watches afl in nsw and qld

that’s a long term problem for their game that’s going to cost them dearly one day

Colk

First Grade
They renegotiated it mid contract

their full value will be in later tv deals

dave smith tried to work against foxtel.

how did that go for us and him ?

Why will it be? That’s not a given as their impact might be incredibly minimal - we might be introducing another Titans for all we know.

Even if it were, again why the f*** would you enter one side in the middle of the contract if you know you are not going to get full value. That’s the argument that people who are critical of V’Landys are making and you now seemingly are coming around.

If you want to get the least amount of money from TV broadcasters then go ahead and listen to what they tell you. They are in conflict to our interests. Seriously, they don’t want to pay you more money as it’s against their interest to do so, whereas our goal is to maximise TV revenue.

To me that is like a supplier having the choice but instead giving a retailer a discount when you don’t have to and they are making mammoth profits. It makes no sense at all

Colk

First Grade
Over the extra large grants those teams get ? Seriously doubt that.

and they are stuck funding those lemons forever

if I was afl boss my biggest concerns are why nobody on tv watches afl in nsw and qld

that’s a long term problem for their game that’s going to cost them dearly one day

Whilst I am sure they might be concerned about that, the amount of money they have received on the back of these expansions probably outweighs those concerns.

If they were losing money and the TV deals were shrinking then yes. But they clearly are not.

Wb1234

Referee
Why will it be? That’s not a given as their impact might be incredibly minimal - we might be introducing another Titans for all we know.

Even if it were, again why the f*** would you enter one side in the middle of the contract if you know you are not going to get full value. That’s the argument that people who are critical of V’Landys are making and you now seemingly are coming around.

If you want to get the least amount of money from TV broadcasters then go ahead and listen to what they tell you. They are in conflict to our interests. Seriously, they don’t want to pay you more money as it’s against their interest to do so, whereas our goal is to maximise TV revenue.

To me that is like a supplier having the choice but instead giving a retailer a discount when you don’t have to and they are making mammoth profits. It makes no sense at all
Lmao so the nrl should’ve just waited till 2028 to add the dolphins ?

Wb1234

Referee
Whilst I am sure they might be concerned about that, the amount of money they have received on the back of these expansions probably outweighs those concerns.

If they were losing money and the TV deals were shrinking then yes. But they clearly are not.
When you look at their finances both the afl and clubs I would say no where has the money gone

it will be several years before they pay off covid debts meanwhile the arlc … the guys you say did a bad job in comparison … made sure our clubs got record funding and are make ever increasing profits

Iamback

Coach

Depends what you mean by success, I like that in RL every club gets the same funding, access to juniors etc across the board.

Just putting dots on a map, Doesn't get that. So need to expand where and when is right

Colk

First Grade
Lmao so the nrl should’ve just waited till 2028 to add the dolphins ?

No, you say to TV broadcasters when you put everything out to tender (rather than try to do renegotiate an existing contract) that you’ll have 18 teams over the course of this contract.

Say enter the second Brisbane side in 24 and the 18th side in 25. You forward out the projections rather than renegotiate an existing contract. With this idea you get the most of the money you can get and have those funds ahead so that you can invest in those sides/areas before

Latest posts