What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Colk

First Grade
When you look at their finances both the afl and clubs I would say no where has the money gone

it will be several years before they pay off covid debts meanwhile the arlc … the guys you say did a bad job in comparison … made sure our clubs got record funding and are make ever increasing profits

It not so black and white. It’s quite a nuanced comparison.

The ARLC have taken away money from other areas to give to clubs. Where have they taken this money from?

Regards the profit, they were probably forced to try and make a profit by slashing costs because the game doesn’t have the amount of asset base to borrow against. Banks wouldn’t give them any money for example

Fumbleball might have decided to borrow more during COVID and take a short term hit because they inevitably could. There is no point in slashing costs if you are not forced to and plenty of large businesses do that and did that during COVID - take a short term loss and borrow more knowing that you have the asset base and projected revenue to come out of it.

Again a simple profit and loss is only part of the wider financial picture

Wb1234

Referee
It not so black and white. It’s quite a nuanced comparison.

The ARLC have taken away money from other areas to give to clubs. Where have they taken this money from?

Regards the profit, they were probably forced to try and make a profit by slashing costs because the game doesn’t have the amount of asset base to borrow against. Banks wouldn’t give them any money for example

Fumbleball might have decided to borrow more during COVID and take a short term hit because they inevitably could. There is no point in slashing costs if you are not forced to and plenty of large businesses do that and did that during COVID - take a short term loss and borrow more knowing that you have the asset base and projected revenue to come out of it.

Again a simple profit and loss is only part of the wider financial picture
You should work for the afls spin department that was some spin

Colk

First Grade

What have I said that is actual spin? All sports recorded sharp dips in revenue and some decided to either wear the losses or reduce their costs.

Have a look at this

NFL

Australian Cricket http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=111437

MLB -

Colk

First Grade
The biggest thing is revenue and building asset bases. Are we maximising revenue and are we building asset bases. I would say clearly no on the former whilst I will congratulate them on working on the latter

reanimate

Bench
He’s right though, they racked up more debt during COVID? So what, their new broadcast deal will well and truly make that a distant memory. They’re going to be well ahead of us on revenue and own major assets like a stadium. Their ‘dots on a map’ strategy is obviously paying dividends. We need a few more dots where we currently don’t have any to take the fight to them.

Wb1234

Referee
He’s right though, they racked up more debt during COVID? So what, their new broadcast deal will well and truly make that a distant memory. They’re going to be well ahead of us on revenue and own major assets like a stadium. Their ‘dots on a map’ strategy is obviously paying dividends. We need a few more dots where we currently don’t have any to take the fight to them.
Hasn’t paid dividends as of last year

and nobody knows how much cash they are getting for their next tv deal

Wb1234

Referee
What have I said that is actual spin? All sports recorded sharp dips in revenue and some decided to either wear the losses or reduce their costs.

Have a look at this

NFL

Australian Cricket http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=111437

MLB -

Well if you want to spin the nrl as making profits during covid whilst giving record funding to clubs whilst the opposite for afl as anything other than bad news for afl then yeh that’s spin

reanimate

Bench
Hasn’t paid dividends as of last year

and nobody knows how much cash they are getting for their next tv deal
COVID affected different sports in different ways, they’re going to come out of it fine. Their debt from that period will be a distant memory.

They’re getting a lot more than us, that’s what counts.

Colk

First Grade
Well if you want to spin the nrl as making profits during covid whilst giving record funding to clubs whilst the opposite for afl as anything other than bad news for afl then yeh that’s spin

All I’m saying is revenue and assets are more important than simply profit/loss because it outlines how much a business can overcome troughs that will occur. Sure profits are nominally good and losses are nominally bad but it requires a bit more analysis.

NRL managed a profit but did their revenue increase? Like most sports I would suggest that it didn’t so where are they cutting the money from? Also, as I said, we had no asset base (that is mismanagement over a long time) so whilst I congratulate V’Landys on doing that (he is a much better accountant than a negotiator) we didn’t have any option

Fumbleball obviously decided to wear the losses because they could. They had assets, we didn’t. Also their revenue will be increasing substantially, whilst ours won’t.

So if you want to look at things objectively, then you have to consider all things

Wb1234

Referee
COVID affected different sports in different ways, they’re going to come out of it fine. Their debt from that period will be a distant memory.

They’re getting a lot more than us, that’s what counts.
Well when their debts are paid off get back to me

meanwhile the arlc will be making profits every year and adding to its asset base

Wb1234

Referee
All I’m saying is revenue and assets are more important than simply profit/loss because it outlines how much a business can overcome troughs that will occur. Sure profits are nominally good and losses are nominally bad but it requires a bit more analysis.

NRL managed a profit but did their revenue increase? Like most sports I would suggest that it didn’t so where are they cutting the money from? Also, as I said, we had no asset base (that is mismanagement over a long time) so whilst I congratulate V’Landys on doing that (he is a much better accountant than a negotiator) we didn’t have any option

Fumbleball obviously decided to wear the losses because they could. They had assets, we didn’t. Also their revenue will be increasing substantially, whilst ours won’t.

So if you want to look at things objectively, then you have to consider all things
You make it sound like the afl saved up a billion dollars to buy marvel lmao

Colk

First Grade

meanwhile the arlc will be making profits every year and adding to its asset base

We have bought a hotel. That’s great but what else have we got? It’s not like we have a stadium as an asset for example. That’s obviously on the head of previous administrators so I’m happy we are rectifying that situation.

Colk

First Grade
You make it sound like the afl saved up a billion dollars to buy marvel lmao

Who cares how much they spent on it. Do they not own that stadium?

By the way, if you want another example of how well they negotiate and plan ahead, there it is.

Wb1234

Referee
We have bought a hotel. That’s great but what else have we got? It’s not like we have a stadium as an asset for example. That’s obviously on the head of previous administrators so I’m happy we are rectifying that situation.
150 million cash at bank

20 million nrl headquarters

digital business worth 100 million ?

wait till you see this years profits which didn’t have 30 million in covid relocation costs

they will be super

Wb1234

Referee
Who cares how much they spent on it. Do they not own that stadium?

By the way, if you want another example of how well they negotiate and plan ahead, there it is.
Well if the nsw govt wants to gift us anz for a dollar or so then you can say what a great financial position the nrl is in

Colk

First Grade
Well if the nsw govt wants to gift us anz for a dollar or so then you can say what a great financial position the nrl is in

Again, they out negotiated somebody else. Docklands was given to them because the government didn’t think it would be worth anything. They seized that opportunity. I hate that fact but they know how to negotiate and plan ahead.

Negotiation is a key thing. V’Landys has screwed up two negotiations and very badly screwed them up. That is inarguable. The game’s relations with the NSW state government are completely shot and we bent over and got nothing out of TV even though we added a side and gave in to all of their demands. That is not a good track record.

reanimate

Bench

It won’t take long at all with a bigger revenue base.

That’s great, I hope one day we too own assets like a stadium.

Latest posts