What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

Colk

First Grade
Also, I’m not the one spinning at all. If I wanted NRL to keep doing this and not realise it’s potential, then I wouldn’t comment.

Frank Burge

Juniors
So vlandys has screwed up the tv deals yet we are about to generate 600 million in revenue and make more profits than afl does ?

I think your missing something lmao
A non for profit is supposed to put all money back in the company to grow the sport , they generate around 50% more revenue than us and spend it all on growth ( even if that is gws waste of money it will still hurt us in the long run) if you guys can’t see we have been screwed by 9/ fox or vlandys for signing during Covid then you have your head in the sand

The_Wookie

Bench
Well when their debts are paid off get back to me

meanwhile the arlc will be making profits every year and adding to its asset base

The AFL did already add to its asset base, and thats where most of its debt is - at the rate they are paying it off it will all be gone in 4 or 5 years - and they will still have a billion dollar, freshly upgraded stadium.

Given the back pay issue this year, single Origin series, increased NRLW costs - dont be surprised of theres not a profit for the ARLC.

Again, they out negotiated somebody else. Docklands was given to them because the government didn’t think it would be worth anything. They seized that opportunity. I hate that fact but they know how to negotiate and plan ahead.

While original planning was based around a soccer/rugby/league venue - Docklands wasnt given to the AFL. They paid 30 million for the land title - which was cheap - but also standard at the time for land sales to developers in the area as the Government was desperately trying to develop the old Victoria dock site.

The stadium itself was a BOOT project - Build, Own, Operate, Transfer - a consortium led by Channel Seven owned the stadium, before it changed hands a couple of times over the years. Instead of taking it outright for nothing in 2025, the AFL purchased the Venue and its management company for 270m in November 2016.

More on that here - http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=2424

and since covid their finances have been ruined

Well thats nonsense. Neither code makes a profit every year, the loss is less than the amount spent on COVID measures by the league, they still have a stadium, and the debt is being paid off - Debt in itself is not a bad thing as long as its being serviced and maintained properly. They also get a big boost in broadcast revenue from next year as not only do the COVID reductions end, the 2023-24 deals are a 50m+ increase per year on the original 2018 deal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s inarguable that he screwed up the TV deal. I don’t know how anybody could come to any different conclusion.

How much revenue are fumbleball making?
Last years revenue comparison (where they made a loss which will be chump change to them when the new deal kicks in)

NRL revenue $570.3mill
AFL revenue $738.1mill

current net assets (2021)
NRL $140mill
AFL $200mil (this will rise significantly as they pay down on the loan for Marvel and it gets revalued after that period)

they covered their losses out of their cash reserve last 2 years. They didn't have to borrow to cover it.

Pre covid the 2019 gap was $241mill, I predict if things stay as they are the revenue gap between NRL and AFL will be around $400mill a year for 2025-2027!

Our surplus was largely made on the back of reduced funding to grassroots and having revenue from a second origin in same year.

They will recoup their covid losses in next 2 years when their media deal goes up to $473mill a year. From 2025 when the media deal goes up to $643mill they will be so coined it wont be funny.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
The AFL did already add to its asset base, and thats where most of its debt is - at the rate they are paying it off it will all be gone in 4 or 5 years - and they will still have a billion dollar, freshly upgraded stadium.

Given the back pay issue this year, single Origin series, increased NRLW costs - dont be surprised of theres not a profit for the ARLC.

While original planning was based around a soccer/rugby/league venue - Docklands wasnt given to the AFL. They paid 30 million for the land title - which was cheap - but also standard at the time for land sales to developers in the area as the Government was desperately trying to develop the old Victoria dock site.

The stadium itself was a BOOT project - Build, Own, Operate, Transfer - a consortium led by Channel Seven owned the stadium, before it changed hands a couple of times over the years. Instead of taking it outright for nothing in 2025, the AFL purchased the Venue and its management company for 270m in November 2016.

More on that here - http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=2424

Well thats nonsense. Neither code makes a profit every year, the loss is less than the amount spent on COVID measures by the league, they still have a stadium, and the debt is being paid off - Debt in itself is not a bad thing as long as its being serviced and maintained properly. They also get a big boost in broadcast revenue from next year as not only do the COVID reductions end, the 2023-24 deals are a 50m+ increase per year on the original 2018 deal.
The arlc incurred 30 million relocating the comp to Brisbane that’s saved now

and origins went back to full houses plus also the hosting fee paid by Perth which didn’t happen during covid

also full finals etc

the arlc already gave back extra last year to the players and clubs since the profit was greater than expected

I would’ve thought 100 million or so is what they should be making even after paying clubs 16 million pa which they really don’t need, even if the salary cap goes up to one million

people have missed that during covid vlandys still managed to give nrl clubs record funding whilst also making profits

Colk

First Grade
The arlc incurred 30 million relocating the comp to Brisbane that’s saved now

and origins went back to full houses plus also the hosting fee paid by Perth which didn’t happen during covid

also full finals etc

the arlc already gave back extra last year to the players and clubs since the profit was greater than expected

I would’ve thought 100 million or so is what they should be making even after paying clubs 16 million pa which they really don’t need, even if the salary cap goes up to one million

people have missed that during covid vlandys still managed to give nrl clubs record funding whilst also making profits

Get him into an accounting role and maybe stop negotiating anything or shooting his mouth to the media. He can then stay.

Iamback

Coach
A non for profit is supposed to put all money back in the company to grow the sport , they generate around 50% more revenue than us and spend it all on growth ( even if that is gws waste of money it will still hurt us in the long run) if you guys can’t see we have been screwed by 9/ fox or vlandys for signing during Covid then you have your head in the sand

The game is growing, You can't do that without a TV deal in place. When the figures are known we can debate whether it was a terrible deal or what

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game is growing, You can't do that without a TV deal in place. When the figures are known we can debate whether it was a terrible deal or what
they are known approximately for 2025 -2027

total media and other $402+digital ($20millish) v $643

or if you want to compare just TV and radio $402mill v $583mill

or just tv and radio cash $372mill v $550mill

or the annual tv breakdown
AFL
FTA $185mill
PTV $400mill

NRL
FTA $130mill
PTV $240mill
International $32.4mill

what exactly are you waiting for before making your mind up lol?

Iamback

Coach
they are known approximately for 2025 -2027

total media and other $402+digital ($20millish) v $643

or if you want to compare just TV and radio $402mill v $583mill

or just tv and radio cash $372mill v $550mill

or the annual tv breakdown
AFL
FTA $185mill
PTV $400mill

NRL
FTA $130mill
PTV $240mill
International $32.4mill

what exactly are you waiting for before making your mind up lol?

Well for starters, I have asked you many times for a link to the NRL TV and nothing. All we know is the FTA split

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well for starters, I have asked you many times for a link to the NRL TV and nothing. All we know is the FTA split
well no I have explained it to you numerous times:

Total 'over' $400mill a year

FTA $130mill ($115mill cash)

SKY NZ $32.4mill a year

that leaves $240mill for Fox

Iamback

Coach
well no I have explained it to you numerous times:

Total 'over' $400mill a year

FTA $130mill ($115mill cash)

SKY NZ $32.4mill a year

that leaves $240mill for Fox

I have said more than numerous times where is the $20m Fox are paying for the Dolphins?

Over $400m could be $401m or $499m. It doesn't tell much as to the actual figures though

Latest posts