What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 NRL ratings

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Has no-one here watched pre-season footy before? It's always been in quarters!

This is nothing new.

Can someone also point out where adding two short breaks in 80min game suddenly mean Millions in extra TV money?
Correct me if I`m wrong but an extra 10 minutes (2 x`s 5) in a 90min game (2 x`s 40 + 10 min. half-time) is a 10 % + increase in content or air-time for broadcasters. Especially unlike pre- or post-game shows where you don`t have a captive audience. Would that equate to a ~ 10 % increase in that broadcast value.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Quarters take away the dominant teams momentum and lets weaker teams off the hook. Hate them.
In that case could play keep going until the end of the set. Funny it`s about the only time union ever gets exciting is the way they keep play going at their breaks until there is a stoppage, there does seem to be an extra sense of urgency when this occurs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most adverts on kayo at the weekend were for their own sports up and coming coverage, there was very few actual product adverts. Would 30min of fta advertising extra a round really be worth enough to change the way the game is played?
Then What about internationals if nrl is playing to very different game structure to the rest of the world?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
But it`s not really dependent on what the broadcaster uses those extra breaks for, advertising would be great, but having the opportunity to plug their own up-coming events to a captive audience would be valuable to them as well.
And then there is the issue that in effect, the extra breaks are effectively adding more content and we know how valuable content is. The more time viewers are tied up to your station, the less likely they are to go elsewhere. That`s basically the whole argument about providing extra teams and games for a broadcaster.

Iamback

Coach
Yeh I’m just an old angry man shouting at clouds lmao (I was thinking what you said when I posted mine)

arlc was thinking about 4 x 25 minute quarters which is actually better as it’s a bit more fatigue back in the game which quarters reduces

fox didn’t go to adds during the quarter breaks though

Because it isn't set qtrs, A stoppage close to 20 mins they have drinks if it was planned. We'd cop non stop ads in the break

Wb1234

Referee
Linear audience - non streaming. (fta/sete top box)

I mean i used all available reporting to come up with the estimate. To be 1% off kind of validates the work I do, as opposed to folks who say theres no point bothering.
You are probably correct and nrl made a mistake

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh no way afl is getting that many viewers each week
Yes

Sounds a bit upset with Wookies post showing nrl dominance in tv ratings

I can’t wait till the first round of the afl season when he’ll post on the crowd thread about the wonderful crowds they get

Latest posts