What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Origin III - Wed 13 Jul - QLD 22-12 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I didn’t mention bombs
I was referring to when NSW were forced to kick out of their own 20. A bomb is useless

They needed a big kick downfield to give them some breathing space a few times
And I mentioned Qld kick pressure, which was forcing NSW into poor kicks all night. Bombs or otherwise.

Reflector

Juniors
I'm an NQ club guy first and foremost, origin is a pain in the ass but a necessary pain in the ass.

But sitting at Suncorp last night, that was some enthralling shit out on the field, top 10 games I've ever been to in 30 years of going to games.

Blue where a whisker away in the last 3 mins, outstanding play by Hunt, kinda went all in on a pair of 4's with that play but f**k me it paid off. The roar at the joint was insane.

Both teams should take a bow for that game, awesome shit.

Now I just need my NQ boys to rest up and get ready for the home stretch of the club comp, would love to see them finish 2nd and set themselves up for the finals. The 4 of them last night were outstanding for QLD, Tommy Dearden shut a few people up with that display.
I find it bizarre that the majority of Qld fans I've spoken to/ seen commenting since last night have spoken more positively about the efforts of NSW than most of the NSW fans I've spoken to/ seen commenting last night.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The roar at the joint was insane.
Agree, that was one of the wildest roars I’ve heard at Suncorp. Reminded me of the Bowen intercept at game one 2005, the Hayne pass to Lockyer in 2007 and the Morris error that Yow Yeh scooped up in 2011.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Agree, that was one of the wildest roars I’ve heard at Suncorp. Reminded me of the Bowen intercept at game one 2005, the Hayne pass to Lockyer in 2007 and the Morris error that Yow Yeh scooped up in 2011.
All nsw errors. Real theme here!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Exactly.

For my thoughts on Cam Smith (and they are well documented here, believe me) he was full of praise for the heart and effort of the NSW defence last night. Say whatever you like about Freddy but that kind of resolute, all-in pressure defence has been a hallmark of his tenure, going right back to that first series in 2018 where they shut down Qld for 10 minutes minus Jack Bird.

NSW were in it until the 78th minute last night despite effectively setting up tents, a generator and a fire pit in their own 20 metre zone- and without arguably their top 3 most lethal attacking players from last series (Fox, Turbo, Latrell).

Yet (as I said earlier) the influence of Origin kayfabe means we have some NSW fans here bemoaning a lack of heart/ shitting the bed when it mattered, but it really came down to silly errors killing any chance they had at going for a tiring Qld pack in their own half, and a Cleary clutch-play attempt that would've paid off 50% of the time and have Nathan right now hailed as Joey 2.0. Unfortunately for him, it was the other 50% of the time last night and so we're back to the "he's a hack/ goes missing/ overrated" comments Munster gets whenever Qld lose. Amazing how short the memories are from people who apparently follow the game so closely. Never forget, Darren Lockyer didn't truly hit his stride at rep level until he was almost 30. He was one series loss from getting dumped out of the Qld teams. I'm not a PENRITH!!! supporter but Nathan is the most promising #7 for his age I've seen in a long, long time. He's not even 25 years old yet. It's amazing to think what he could do from here. If I were a betting man I'd be going out today and putting $ on PENRITH!!! to go back to back- he's going to feel as if he has a point to prove after last night and (I expect) is going to channel that determination into the Panthers. He also has a great team around him out there, which helps massively.
Fair bit of bullshit in this

Stinkfinger

Juniors
I disagree with almost everything your posting but this in particular takes the cake. Are you really going to call that desperation chip kick a 50/50 play? It was a hail mary that would be lucky to work even 10% of the time. There were plenty of good attacking opportunities in the game where Cleary could have made his stamp on the game but he failed to do so.
Just like Walker in the Grand Final. You find yourself in that situation you roll the dice. Imagine if it had come off. He'd be the world's greatest player today, unchallenged.

beave

Coach
I find it bizarre that the majority of Qld fans I've spoken to/ seen commenting since last night have spoken more positively about the efforts of NSW than most of the NSW fans I've spoken to/ seen commenting last night.
Credit where credit is due mate, NSW had a couple of blokes make a few crucial errors that just killed them, QLD played a grinding style and just wore NSW out from repeated sets on their line. But if a QLD fan can't look at that game objectively and say "NSW played hard and did well" then they're honestly being a clown.

The fire and brimstone that was on show was awesome to see, the crowd absolutely loved it. It's part of why we love RL and SOO, let them go at it I say.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just like Walker in the Grand Final. You find yourself in that situation you roll the dice. Imagine if it had come off. He'd be the world's greatest player today, unchallenged.
Low % play and tbh it was failing to capitalise on the forward domination in the first half that is the real issue, not a roll of the dice at the end of the game.

some11

Referee
DCE kicked several times from inside his own 30 early in the tackle count. He kicked from inside his own 20 several times. All of them found grass and turned what would have been great field position for NSW into a chance for QLD to

meanwhile Cleary had several last tackle chances from inside Qld’s 40 in the second half. He kicked pedestrian bombs to no one every time.

he got absolutely schooled by DCE. Meninga will be picking the QLD halves with 100% certainty
I used to hate Cleary for how good he was, in particular his kicking game.

It's pretty hard to deny it went missing last night. He's still got some things to work on regarding his mental game.

Maybe he'd be more consistent with a class 5/8 next to him in the rep arena.

SBD82

Coach
Truth is NSW best centres are Trbojevic and Mitchell, everyone else is merely a ring-in compared to them.
Turbo is the best fullback, winger, centre, and possibly 5/8 that NSW has. As a blues fan it was pretty disappointing that I didn’t get to have him in the team that I support for 3 games this year.

Same could be said for Munster though. And QLD got the job done without him.

Latest posts