What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I like Bird as well but don't regard him as being particularly skillful, nor particularly big, nor particularly fast. No kicking game either. However, he is strong for his size and when he embarks on those Burke and Wills expeditionary runs bouncing off would be tacklers and running all over the park, he is fun to watch. For mine, he is a backrower or (slow) centre- not a real utility. The Roosters have got the best utility player in the game- Connor Watson.
This is part of the issue with the value of his contract, as you say he’s not very quick, tall or big so he’s not a strike centre like Lomax, Suli or even Max Feagai (if he stays fit) which is where Bird wants to play.

Griffin is pretty accurate in seeing him as a edge backrower where he can use his footwork & offload to create opportunities for Suli & Ramsey outside him.

At this point in his career Bird is a good player but not an elite rep player anymore so he has to be realistic about his market value.

At secondrow I have him behind Sims & Su’a but ahead of Burns, Ford & Gosiewski.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
This is part of the issue with the value of his contract, as you say he’s not very quick, tall or big so he’s not a strike centre like Lomax, Suli or even Max Feagai (if he stays fit) which is where Bird wants to play.

Griffin is pretty accurate in seeing him as a edge backrower where he can use his footwork & offload to create opportunities for Suli & Ramsey outside him.

At this point in his career Bird is a good player but not an elite rep player anymore so he has to be realistic about his market value.

At secondrow I have him behind Sims & Su’a but ahead of Burns, Ford & Gosiewski.
Agree with most of that except Sims- on last year's form, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. Billy Burns was really starting to show something at the back end of last year. However, the lure of a new contract may bring out the best in Sims in 2022.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Agree with most of that except Sims- on last year's form, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. Billy Burns was really starting to show something at the back end of last year. However, the lure of a new contract may bring out the best in Sims in 2022.
The interesting thing is Bird, Sims, Burns, Ford & (Gosiewski 1yr deal I think?) are all out of contract this year so all will be looking for a huge 2022.

The question is will any of them be playing left edge for the Dragons in 2023?

Jim Dragons

Juniors

l also like Birdie... and if he gets the money he was on elsewhere - don't let the door hit you... but l think we have he price right at around $500K (even that could be overs based on his previous injuries). What I wanted to say is that Jack Gosiewski by the end of the year will have gone past Bird.
And I am pleased to see Ford having a dig this year... I thought he was happy to be one of the number last year and let himself down. Su'a looks the goods... Fui may find himself on the outer when he does his time.
If they can hold form... l like the rotation of Lawrie/St Georgie/Molo (at this point either one) and even Woods (I hang my my to have to admit this). Leaving Bird/Debelin as ball playing locks (plus a bench) and Mbye/Bud Sullivan the "14".
Having Bird and Mbye on the bench you have Fullback to Back Row covered without making massive positional switches and they comfortably join a forward rotation.

mickeylane

Bench
Bird will only leave Dragons if he receives a massive overs offer in the realms of $700k + that offer ain’t coming from anyone .. he will stick w the Dragons for a contract in the region of $550k a season for 3 years.. I think he will leave $$$ on the table to stay w Hook and club.. I don’t think he will forget what Hook did for him.. he’d actually be merkin if he did.. plus like I said in a previous post - if Dragons want him we will keep him .. and let’s not forget the Flanno factor now managing the roster who was Jacks premiership coach ..

BLM01

First Grade
Think what you like about Gould but he is no goose and he is saying what most of us on here think. Very different Dragons side to last season , exciting times ahead. We are the smokies in the competition.
Oh no...that is the dagger right there. Smokies..no more
All and sundry are now going off early singing the Dragons praises after 2 trials.
Have we not learned anything in the past 20 years supporting this club
It is worse than the supermarkets putting out Easter eggs in January

mickeylane

Bench
Think what you like about Gould but he is no goose and he is saying what most of us on here think. Very different Dragons side to last season , exciting times ahead. We are the smokies in the competition.
I agree on his assumption that a team needs to be able to score enough points to defend .. that makes perfect sense .. amd our defence against South’s is looking to take shape - won’t be for a while but as long as we are scoring 20+ per game we will win more than lose .

blacksafake

First Grade
I wish he’d have not said that because it now puts a target on our backs.
Knowing Gus if things go pear shaped he’ll blame Hook & if things go well it’ll be the juniors, not the coach.

possm

Coach

Jack Bird will sign with the highest bidder. I'd say 600k is a very good offer for Bird.