What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 T20 WORLD CUP IN AUSTRALIA

yobbo84

First Grade
So apparently the start time of the final can only be moved to earlier in the day (to avoid rain) if India is not playing.

One of my biggest takeaways from this tournament is that foreign host broadcasters in local tournaments just feels wrong. Watching a Star Sports produced broadcast in Australia feels every bit as wrong as it would watching Fox produce a South African world cup. I.e. crap.

undertaker

Coach
So apparently the start time of the final can only be moved to earlier in the day (to avoid rain) if India is not playing.

One of my biggest takeaways from this tournament is that foreign host broadcasters in local tournaments just feels wrong. Watching a Star Sports produced broadcast in Australia feels every bit as wrong as it would watching Fox produce a South African world cup. I.e. crap.
Yep, the same Star Sports that wanted the 50-over World Cup truncated to 10 teams so India got a guaranteed 9 games during the round-robin phase of the tournament (hence more advertising revenue). 2015 was supposed to be the first World Cup with this format, but thankfully there was enough pushback, especially from the minnows, and Star backed down. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the 2027 World Cup will have more than 10 teams but I'm not having my hopes too high on the issue given the ICC's past track record.

IIRC, the 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean was the first major ICC event where the "world feed" concept was used, where all countries that watched the World Cup heard the same commentators, tv production etc. Since then, all ICC white-ball tournaments have been this way. The ICC are weak as piss and they will never had the balls to do what most fans want, as they're compromised due to taking the big money offer from Star Sports.

Pre-2007 (before Star Sports had exclusive broadcasting rights to the major tournaments), it was the broadcaster of the host country/countries that were responsible for the production of televised games during the tournament (e.g. 1992 was Channel 9 and TVNZ, 1999 was BBC and Sky Sports UK etc.)

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach

Also, another thing I haven't enjoyed is how the producers have paired up commentators to call matches of teams they used to play for, hence the strong element of bias that has come through loud and clear in their commentary has made it nauseating to listen to at times (e.g. Ian Smith calling NZ matches, Ravi Shastri and Sunil Gavaskar calling matches involving India, Shaun Pollock for South Africa, Pommie Mbangwa for Zimbabwe etc.). Seriously, these guys might as well be cheerleaders on the sideline, jumping up and down shaking pom poms.

And whoever thought it was a good idea to have Shane Watson, Michael Clarke, Mel Jones, and especially Mark Howard as the Australian commentators needs to be sacked. If whoever was responsible for this decision thought they were the best crop Australia has to offer, they are either tone deaf....or just simply....DEAF!

On a side note, Bazit Khan sounds like he's just walked out of a pub after having a few beers with Phil Rothfield, ROFL! I can barely understand what he's talking about at times.