What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Team

Choppy91

Juniors
So Ponga is blacklisted as a 5/8 because in 2019 he didn’t excel in the position after 3 weeks when he had 20 odd games of experience?

If, by the start of 2023 at latest, Ponga isn’t seen as Clifford’s partner in the halves, I think it’s time to move him on from the club. He’s progressively gotten worse at fullback since he’s been here.
I agree his form has dipped at fullback but I don't think its soley from him and his effort. A lot of that I personally would put down to poor attacking coaching, and a lack of creativity. If we rely on one player to do that, how often do you expect them to do those superstar plays? Having him play at 5/8 would reduce his effectiveness. A half that will compliment an ab-lib style of play would do wonders for the knights. Again, just an opinion.

Spot On

Coach
So Ponga is blacklisted as a 5/8 because in 2019 he didn’t excel in the position after 3 weeks when he had 20 odd games of experience?

If, by the start of 2023 at latest, Ponga isn’t seen as Clifford’s partner in the halves, I think it’s time to move him on from the club. He’s progressively gotten worse at fullback since he’s been here.

Agreed.

If he is a talented as has been touted then the transition to 5/8 is a no brainer. However, do we have the coach to get the best out of him at 6 and while overhauling how this club plays when they have the ball?

There are many aspects of his game at fullback that are simply not up to scratch a lot of the time for a marquee player - but those moments of 'brilliance', a bullet pass or a step etc, has many flapping over his talent and commentators do forget to point out his many weaknesses too often. There are a couple of players in the game like that, where commentators are remiss to call it as it really is by pointing out the failure of big money players to deliver each week v their pay packet - and we have another one wearing the 7.

You know there's bias when some commentators comment on Pearce simply passing the football. A game highlight some weeks. FFS.

Supporters can see the difference in a gun fullback that has all the skills and consistently delivers - Turbo, Tedesco and the next star Papaehauzen - compared to where Ponga's game at fullback is atm.

Last edited:

ryana87

Juniors
I agree his form has dipped at fullback but I don't think its soley from him and his effort. A lot of that I personally would put down to poor attacking coaching, and a lack of creativity. If we rely on one player to do that, how often do you expect them to do those superstar plays? Having him play at 5/8 would reduce his effectiveness. A half that will compliment an ab-lib style of play would do wonders for the knights. Again, just an opinion.
He didn't go well at no6 last time because he was partnered with Pearce who's only success has come when he has a much more competent half with him that can organise and kick. When Pearce is the primary half, he buckles.

All ponga needs in a halves partner is a calm head with a good kicking game, which Clifford has already showed is miles ahead of Pearce.

Hopefully Pearce can transition to a Benji type role this year.... Just come on for a 30min stint in the middle

Burwood

Bench
Ponga’s attack is the least of his problems though, and the good news is that the things he does very well easily transfer into the 5/8 role. But his defense has been atrocious the last 12-18 months. Not sure if it’s an effort thing, or coaching.

Yosh

Coach
The experiment of Ponga at 6 didn't work, being in the front line of defence he's a target and just takes away his effectiveness. If we had another running half and a player that can ask questions to the defense then It just takes a little bit of focus away from our strike weapon. Its too predictable the way we play at the moment.

Joey was horrible for his second ever game for Newcastle. Stinked it up. Should never have played again according to your logic.

Old School

Juniors
I totally agree with the sentiment of most of the contributors on this page, Ponga is getting over a million a year to throw a red hot cut out pass once or twice a game if we are lucky with a few sailing over the sideline to no-one. Point blank refuses to get into the physical part of the game, won't tackle, seems to be purposely out of position so is not called upon to tackle much. He has no appetite to take on the line(running the ball back after a kick)& only likes to run holes the size of Sydney heads but always
keen to take on the dummy half role(get rid of it to some other poor bugger) when we need a pressure relieving run from someone when he is fresh as a daisy from doing stuff all.Seems to me we could get 2 or 3 solid operators with all round games for that coin. Is O`Brien that dopey that he doesn't see this or is he incapable of doing his job & actually coaching the weaknesses out of Ponga`s game, maybe a little frightened to bring these things up with his superstar! Unless Ponga & the whole team for that matter improve sharply then there is a whole lot of money being flushed down the toilet by the West`s group. I, like a whole lot of other supporters thought that O`Brien was going to be the answer to our problems, with the coaching apprenticeship he had served but now I'm thinking he fits the Steve Kearney/Jason Taylor mould of very good assistant but lacks the creativity & nous to be a decent head coach. No original ideas & I can't think of many if any players that have shown improvement under his watch, most have gone backwards(except Mann, couldn't`t get any worse). The backs are not even positioned properly to ask questions of the opposition in attack, even the Storm don't play that negative flat attack any more. Best seems to be the killer centre that never was & is becoming less effective with every start. Yosh, Joey may have stunk up his second game but not second, third, fourth, fifth .........!

Choppy91

Juniors
Joey was horrible for his second ever game for Newcastle. Stinked it up. Should never have played again according to your logic.
Ponga moving to 6 would require plenty of training. Not saying it would never be a good move, he just hasn't delivered yet. Consider we havent had any NSW cup footy in 2 years, recruitment and development is at a low and if you're going to move him to 6, we have to have somebody to replace him. Baily Hodgson should have had some game time by now if that was where they were headed because Tex Hoy certainly isn't the answer.

Have a look at how Ponga performed in SOO 3 this year and then try and tell me that he's the problem, not the coach or the scrubs he has in the backline around him

Yosh

Coach
Have a look at how Ponga performed in SOO 3 this year and then try and tell me that he's the problem, not the coach or the scrubs he has in the backline around him

Could be a motivational problem for Ponga. Seems to care a lot more for Queensland than for the Knights. Seems like he considers playing for the Knights a job while playing for Queensland is a passion. Not saying that's the only reason he sucks for us but it's definitely a factor.

Could be a motivational problem for Ponga. Seems to care a lot more for Queensland than for the Knights. Seems like he considers playing for the Knights a job while playing for Queensland is a passion. Not saying that's the only reason he sucks for us but it's definitely a factor.
Maybe, but i think its a fairly small one.

Without going into the obvious quality difference between a club side and a rep side, he gets more freedom playing for Qld and far more quality ball. Add in the confidence of knowing everyones doing their jobs in defence and its not hard to see why he looks better in the Qld side.

Ponga at the Storm, Roosters or Rabbitohs would be killing it without anyone questioning his motivation to play.

Jono078

Referee
I know you're a big defender of Ponga, we've been down this road before.

But it's the intangibles that I think you'll note most have the issues with, the stuff that shouldn't be affected by the team or coaches.

His willingness to return the ball, put his body on the line in defense and overall have more of an interest in what he's paid to do.

My question mark is was his big off-season shoulder surgery and then groin issues a big factor in what I've mentioned above? Because previously those issues weren't as glaring.

Safe to say I think next year is kind of make or break for Ponga. He's either the guy he's been hyped up to be - "Most naturally gifted player in the comp" and delivers on it consistently or will he just be the young gun that came here and flashes brilliance every now and then which woos everyone but is not going to be what makes a premiership threat.

And once again, it's not all on him. But I think his critics have had fair criticisms with areas of his game and more are aware to them.

As far as moving to the halves, I do like it. But my concern is more with his kicking game than his defense. He's just not a natural kicker of the ball and you don't want to only rely on Clifford.

Then there's Bailey Hodgson. Just how good is he? Is he capable of stepping up as soon as next year? Does he have a kicking game?

Final thought. I'm not excited about having a mostly similar roster next year but I am hopeful the coaching and performance staff get the best out of the players with this longer off-season and we hit the ground running next year and look slick in attack. I do think Ponga will have his best season as well.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Whats the story with Enari Tuala Fox is saying he isn't signed up for next year?

The word was the club was in talks to re-sign him but I haven’t seen any announcement about it yet. He’s not technically a free agent until November though so I assume he’ll re-sign in the next couple of weeks.

Burwood

Bench
The word was the club was in talks to re-sign him but I haven’t seen any announcement about it yet. He’s not technically a free agent until November though so I assume he’ll re-sign in the next couple of weeks.

If he’s not signed for 2022, he’s been able to negotiate with other clubs since last November.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If he’s not signed for 2022, he’s been able to negotiate with other clubs since last November.
Sorry I didn’t word that very well. What I meant is he still has a job with us until November so presumably he will be re-signed in the next few weeks unless the club has changed its mind.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I cannot wait to see the reactions if Ponga is signed next year by Redcliffe. Where do you suppose we replace a player of his talent from? I am all ears. I suspect it will be a long wait.

Jono078

Referee
I cannot wait to see the reactions if Ponga is signed next year by Redcliffe. Where do you suppose we replace a player of his talent from? I am all ears. I suspect it will be a long wait.
He might already be at the club mate.

I don't know how I'd feel if Ponga left. He obviously does a lot of great things for us but there's just something lacking which the top fullbacks have, IMO.

Yosh

Coach
It would be a massive blow if Ponga left. Morally more so than impact on the field wise. If Ponga and Pearce leave together, it would mean we could sign two marquee spine players but who would that be?

Choppy91

Juniors
Could be a motivational problem for Ponga. Seems to care a lot more for Queensland than for the Knights. Seems like he considers playing for the Knights a job while playing for Queensland is a passion. Not saying that's the only reason he sucks for us but it's definitely a fact

It would be a massive blow if Ponga left. Morally more so than impact on the field wise. If Ponga and Pearce leave together, it would mean we could sign two marquee spine players but who would that be?
Agreed. We have put the time and effort into his development and to see him go would be hard to watch.

ryana87

Juniors
In fairness.... If Ponga left..... We would have a million spare to sign a new fullback..... We could almost pick anyone..... With turbo and teddy obviously wrapped up long term..... You could make a case for Lil pap

Latest posts