What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Jamberoo

Juniors
Reasons why the AFL deal is 50% higher than NRL.
1. Once Tassie coming in 2026 AFL will have a team in every state. Like cricket, it is truly national. The NRL cannot offer than to their advertisers.
2. Games go for longer - almost an hour longer. RL is around 1hr 50 mins start to finish. AFL is 2hrs 40 min. So more ads.
3. The had genuine bids from all three commercial networks. Ch7 has no interest in RL.
4. Gil is smarter than PVL.

Despite the huge $$$, AFL remains in charge of fixturing. No silly 6pm Friday games. And they have been very strategic with their demands of the Tassie bid. They want a small, but very fancy 23k roofed stadium on the water, which they will get (est cost is $750m). This is so it is full each week and looks great on TV. Plus $50m towards a COE, and a $10m contribution each year. What is Redcliffe contributing again?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol, if the offical release is saying 7 years 2025-2031 then I think it’s fair to accept that’s what it is. Some more spin going on in here, just accept we have been fcked over and Vlandys is the main man responsible and join the Peter out movement lol

maybe this will be the wake up call the game needs. Smith knew it and was booted to be replaced by NSW RL morons.
Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane3 have to be the priority now to make the game truly national in its metro centres. f**k the suburban mentality right off. Grow the sport so tv are fighting over it like AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tas
1. Once Tassie coming in 2026 AFL will have a team in every state. Like cricket, it is truly national.
2. Games go for longer - almost an hour longer. RL is around 1hr 50 mins start to finish. AFL is 2hrs 40 min. So more ads.
3. The had genuine bids from all three commercial networks. Ch7 has no interest in RL.

Despite the huge $$$, AFL remains in charge of fixturing. No silly 6pm Friday games. And they have been very strategic with their demands of the Tassie bid. They want a small, but very fancy 23k roofed stadium on the water, which they will get (est cost is $750m). This is so it is full each week and looks great on TV. Plus $50m towards a COE, and a $10m contribution each year. What is Redcliffe contributing again?
Tassie will be next announcement as Gils swansong farewell. They now have enough money for the next decade they can pretty much do whatever they like with team 20. Bring it in sooner, put it in perth, canberra or NT. They are so rich they can wipe their areas with $100 bills lol.

1. Once Tassie coming in 2026 AFL will have a team in every state. Like cricket, it is truly national.

continue believing the above if you wish, fantasies are free
but you'll also have to believe that foxtel are paying up to 427 Mill a year in this deal
( they'll go broke before 2031 if thats true )

oh....& Santa Claus too

colly

Juniors
Well it will all come down on this statement.
from the AFL on website.

The total agreement we are announcing today with our broadcast partners covers seven seasons from Season 2025 – until the end of the 2031 season and will deliver footy a financial return of $4.5 billion.

Lets play lawyers game on this.
First we all know this contract is for a time period of 2025 to ( now released) 2031. This is seven years , sure.
So the contract that they signed was for the years 2025-2031, but does that not mean that the 2023-2024 contract amount could not be added or counted in the final figure of $4.5 billion of the deal they signing today.

And whats a financial return about, I though this was a broadcaster negotiations.
Anyway the above statement by the AFL could be disingenuous that the contract was signed today was for 7 years BUT the final 'financial return' ( yet to be explained ) includes yet to start contract ( 2023-2024) money.

So you read the above two ways- which i think was intentional. But again if they are getting over $500m CASH ONLY yearly from the two broadcaster, i say well done you win. But I wait for the Broadcasters report regarding cash amounts. I think only Seven will have to report but that will give you a indication of what foxtel possibly pays/paid.

Colk

First Grade
Lol, if the offical release is saying 7 years 2025-2031 then I think it’s fair to accept that’s what it is. Some more spin going on in here, just accept we have been fcked over and Vlandys is the main man responsible and join the Peter out movement lol

maybe this will be the wake up call the game needs. Smith knew it and was booted to be replaced by NSW RL morons.
Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane3 have to be the priority now to make the game truly national in its metro centres. f**k the suburban mentality right off. Grow the sport so tv are fighting over it like AFL.

At least Perth and Adelaide. Not sure if going to Brisbane again is worth it.

Another thing: don’t be directed by broadcasters, you direct them. They just want to pay less in any case

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
At least Perth and Adelaide. Not sure if going to Brisbane again is worth it.

Another thing: don’t be directed by broadcasters, you direct them. They just want to pay less in any case
can see Redcliffe not ending being brisbane2 in long run. Opens up for tigers to come in and own south of river brisbane

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha
Well it will all come down on this statement.
from the AFL on website.

The total agreement we are announcing today with our broadcast partners covers seven seasons from Season 2025 – until the end of the 2031 season and will deliver footy a financial return of $4.5 billion.

Lets play lawyers game on this.
First we all know this contract is for a time period of 2025 to ( now released) 2031. This is seven years , sure.
So the contract that they signed was for the years 2025-2031, but does that not mean that the 2023-2024 contract amount could not be added or counted in the final figure of $4.5 billion of the deal they signing today.

And whats a financial return about, I though this was a broadcaster negotiations.
Anyway the above statement by the AFL could be disingenuous that the contract was signed today was for 7 years BUT the final 'financial return' ( yet to be explained ) includes yet to start contract ( 2023-2024) money.

So you read the above two ways- which i think was intentional. But again if they are getting over $500m CASH ONLY yearly from the two broadcaster, i say well done you win. But I wait for the Broadcasters report regarding cash amounts. I think only Seven will have to report but that will give you a indication of what foxtel possibly pays/paid.
yeh they’re adding two years into a 7 year contract and failing to mention it lol. Are you two sharing the tin foil tonight?

so in 2025
or 2024

or god knows when

foxtel will be paying up to
427 Mill for the aflol
240 Mill for the NRL

667 mill for just 2 sports

broke by 2029 I'd say

Colk

First Grade
continue believing the above if you wish, fantasies are free
but you'll also have to believe that foxtel are paying up to 427 Mill a year in this deal
( they'll go broke before 2031 if thats true )

oh....& Santa Claus too

How would they possibly lie about this? If they go out and state this and it is a lie, Pay could easily refute it (and they would)

I am upset and you’re upset but let’s direct where it should be directed - straight at Peter V’Landys and the ARLC for selling the game short.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do suspect there will be a considerable amount of contra and in kind value in it regards telstra And what they are doing. wouldn’t surprise me if there’s $40-50mil Contra etc a year.
I’ve guessed at around $30mill a year contra in nrl deal.

you’re clutching at straws, mind you you’ve been telling us for months there was no way they would get over $500mill so I’m not surprised.
how dopey
we have Ch 7's amount

leaving up to 427 Mill for foxtel
now tell me
do you think foxtel are paying that amount ?

yes
or no ?

How would they possibly lie about this? If they go out and state this and it is a lie, Pay could easily refute it (and they would)

I am upset and you’re upset but let’s direct where it should be directed - straight at Peter V’Landys and the ARLC for selling the game short.
i asked the soap dodger this question
same to you

are foxtel paying 427 mill pa in this new deal ?
no fluff
or .. but but but , they wouldn't lie about it

is that the amount you think foxtel are paying ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
how dopey
we have Ch 7's amount

leaving up to 427 Mill for foxtel
now tell me
do you think foxtel are paying that amount ?

yes
or no ?
I dont know what the three way split is. Until seven announce their share and if telstra tell us there’s then we can work out what fox is paying.

i was anticipating they’d do well with a deal of $550 so what do I know!