What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
Holy f**k! No one saw that coming. If true it is a staggering amount that will catapult them even further ahead.
Looks like it’s a full omelette on the face for some on here!

ok time for some serious questions to be asked of Vlandys and
Abdo. How the f**k have they signed a deal worth so little compared to this? I’m sure the v,Andy’s loving media mates will bury this as well but co e on even baseline and the other most ardent Vlandys devotees can’t defend him on this!

I’m sure they will still try. Look there are still people on here defending it.

It’s a shame because they are doing a disservice to the game by doing it. It should be obvious now that we are not independent and that V’Landys has given News Ltd a sweetheart deal (probably Nine as well)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you believe with less live content ch7 is going to almost double their outlay a year?
I believe that no public facing company like afl or nrl is going to release a statement on a deal of such magnitude and importance that is a lie.
What you are suggesting is incredibly unlikely.
im staggerd and in somewhat disbelief at the deal they have done comparing it to ours but that doesn’t make it untrue.

you seem in a place of denial which I understand given your posts on this topic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m sure they will still try. Look there are still people on here defending it.

It’s a shame because they are doing a disservice to the game by doing it. It should be obvious now that we are not independent and that V’Landys has given News Ltd a sweetheart deal (probably Nine as well)y
crazy isnt it, I thought the game was fcked under gallop but this is a whole new level!

Colk

First Grade
Do you believe with less live content ch7 is going to almost double their outlay a year?

It’s called competitive tension. You know what you should do rather than just negotiate with your current partners.

The other thing that makes this so bad is that our next deal won’t be very big now either. You can’t sell it to Channel 7 now because they won’t have the money. Pay would also be cash strapped (not that we seem to extract what we are worth in any case). It will Channel 9/Pay and nothing else. We’ll probably sell it to them for $450million and think deal.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
VLandys has sold the game down the river and has to go. There where always doubts about his links with news ltd through his day job but if this doesnt confirm it I dont know what will.
Either nrl is of very low value to media or Vlandys has sold us a country mile short. Which is it?

I mean if you look at the fact this is just Australian media there is a gap of $223million A YEAR in how Australian media values the two codes. It’s just nuts!
Yep. We know the ratings can't account for the difference in deals. So its the advertising revenue and subscriber pull that must. Or we just got f**ked up the ass with the worst deal in two decades, the profits of which are funding or competitors.

Im f**king pissed at myself for buying into the 'sports deals wont go up' mantra and a bit of the cult of personality around V'landys.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
You’re assuming that News Ltd won’t go into bat for their white knight. You have to remember he is their man who’s going to allow them to sell for unders.
Wont even get a mention on 360 tonight or anything in the herald or DT. Fairfax and News as your main partners, what could go wrong hey.

Colk

First Grade
Yep. We know the ratings can't account for the difference in deals. So its the advertising revenue and subscriber pull that must. Or we just got f**ked up the ass with the worst deal in two decades, the profits of which are funding or competitors.

Im f**king pissed at myself for buying into the 'sports deals wont go up' mantra and a bit of the cult of personality around V'landys.

I was always wary of it myself. News Ltd are very transparent regarding our game and the fact that they were so gushing of him made me doubtful of his intentions.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/se...fl-broadcast-rights-deal-20220905-p5bfhx.html

AFL welcomes massive seven-year $4.5 billion deal with Seven and Foxtel​

By Jake Niall and Colin Kruger

Updated September 6, 2022 — 4.03pmfirst published at 12.57pm

The AFL has landed a staggering $4.5 billion, seven-year broadcast deal, easily the largest in Australian history, after sticking with incumbents Seven and Foxtel to show AFL and AFLW matches until 2031.
Foxtel and Seven were forced to pay significantly more than anyone imagined due to Channel Ten and Paramount’s eye-watering bid of $6 billion over 10 years.

AFL chairman Richard Goyder and chief executive Gillon McLachlan are making an announcement about a deal for the football code's broadcast rights.
The new seven-year deal will bring in $642 million in cash and contra per year including the digital rights, far more than the $600 million per year the AFL was aiming for. The previous two deals had yielded $3.5 billion over eight years.
Although AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said the same number of matches would be shown on free to air TV as were in the previous deal, Foxtel will have exclusive rights to Saturday games for the first eight rounds in Melbourne.

Earlier a senior media industry source confirmed to The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald that the deal would run for seven years and was a significant increase on the previous deal, which was worth $946 million over two years.
Seven and Foxtel were considered the front-runners despite Nine Entertainment Co making an offer on Monday worth roughly $500 million a year.
At Tuesday’s announcement, AFL chairman Richard Goyder said it was a historic day for the supporters of the AFL and for the future of the sport.
“It’s a historic day for our code and the future of the code,” he said.
“It’s a proud day that we announce the biggest broadcasting deal in Australian sport and deliver on our purpose to progress the game so everyone can share in its heritage and possibilities,” Goyder told reporters from Perth.
Advertisement

He said the latest deal balances the best possible outcomes for viewership.
This new deal ensures there would be even more investment in grassroots football, Goyder said.
McLachlan said the investment will go back into the best game into the world to continue to make it accessible, to keep ticket prices down and invest in facilities.
He said the game managed to bounce back from COVID-19.
“When we thought it couldn’t be any better we experienced the greatest open finals round of all time,” he said.

There would be at least the same amount of free air to games as part of the new deal, he said.
“I want to say that again - we will have the same number of free free-to-air games,” McLachlan said.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan details which games will be shown on Seven, Foxtel and on streaming services
Seven West chief executive officer, James Warburton emphasised that the broadcaster had secured “a comprehensive package of digital rights to the AFL” which was its “absolute focus” meaning fans can watch games “anywhere, on any device for free”.
“For the first time, fans will be able to access the best AFL games and video content, live and free, in a way that suits them,” Warburton said.

Seven chairman Kerry Stokes said he was excited to continue the partnership which would ensure the AFL could grow over the next decade.
“We can think in terms of a decade, and over that decade with the support of the AFL and our other partners,” Stokes said.
“I am sure we’re going to take the AFL to whole new levels.”
Ten was disappointed to lose out it, but its streaming arm Paramount wished the other broadcasters the best.
“Paramount Australia and New Zealand congratulates the consortium that won the streaming and broadcast rights to AFL and AFLW,” a spokesperson said.

“We would like to sincerely thank the AFL for its invitation to participate in the bidding process.
“While we are disappointed not to be awarded the rights, we believed strongly in our ability to continue to grow the sport across multiple platforms particularly free-to-air in the northern markets and the AFLW, and provide coverage that sports fans would have revelled in, we retain confidence in the integrity of the process and the sincerity of those involved.
“We wish the AFL and the successful consortium all the best for the game.”
Goyder and McLachlan were spotted next to Seven West Media’s billionaire chairman Kerry Stokes at the elimination final between the Fremantle Dockers and the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night, which made some industry executives believe the deal was effectively done.
The deal is one of the key tasks outgoing AFL boss Gillon McLachlan wanted to tick off before leaving the job later this year.

He and the league will now focus on the issue of a Tasmanian team entering the competition as a 19th team, a new pay deal for the AFL’s male players and funding for clubs.
All deals are expected to be finalised before McLachlan exits.
In 2015, Rupert Murdoch intervened directly in media rights negotiations to ensure News Corp’s Foxtel, Seven and Telstra secured a record $2.508 billion six-year deal that ran between 2012 and 2016.

A two-year $946 million extension was secured in 2020, which ensured the rights stayed with Seven and Foxtel until the end of 2024 at a cost of $473 million a year.

The AFL had hoped that the competition from Network Ten and streaming partner Paramount Plus, as well as Nine Entertainment and its streaming service Stan, would help push the deal closer to the $600 million a year mark.
The prospect of streaming services gaining access to broadcast rights drew the attention of the federal government.
Last month, Communications Minister Michelle Rowland publicly warned the sporting code against reducing the number of live matches that were available for free before speaking to key executives at the sporting body. Rowland is reviewing the laws, which only prevent Foxtel – not other streaming services – from putting major sporting events behind a paywall.

A new deal with Seven West Media and Foxtel would not breach the anti-siphoning laws, which determine which key sports and cultural events should be available for free and have been a major focus in this round of broadcast negotiations.

Seven and Foxtel were at loggerheads for months over key elements of a future arrangement, including the number of live matches on free-to-air. The AFL was considering delaying two free-to-air matches each week by up to two hours in interstate markets to give Foxtel more exclusivity for its streaming service Kayo Sports.

With Caroline Schelle and Vince Rugari

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
It’s called competitive tension. You know what you should do rather than just negotiate with your current partners.

The other thing that makes this so bad is that our next deal won’t be very big now either. You can’t sell it to Channel 7 now because they won’t have the money. Pay would also be cash strapped (not that we seem to extract what we are worth in any case). It will Channel 9/Pay and nothing else. We’ll probably sell it to them for $450million and think deal.
I dunno about that. We will be the biggest prize avaliable until 2031. Ten/Paramount and Nine/Stan will be after us. Assuming we have a proper leader in charge of course :rolleyes:

Idris 84

Juniors
It's funny Vlandy's has been taking cheap shots at Gill and the AFL for years, they have just kept quite and just went f**ken bang! PVL and a few people on here might require a proper welfare check tonight, they will be livid they hitched their wagon to PVL. He should have kept his mouth shut and let the business do the talking. Amatuer hour down at NRL hq.

Perth Red

Post Whore

there are times I really hate being right, this is up there with the biggest of them. This is going to put our revenue $400-500million A YEAR behind them for at least the next 5 years. We just lost the battle and the war.

I dunno about that. We will be the biggest prize avaliable until 2031. Ten/Paramount and Nine/Stan will be after us. Assuming we have a proper leader in charge of course :rolleyes:
No we won't. Why do we always say this after every tv rights deal. We are not valuable. Get used to it.

Upgrade surbuban stadiums (maybe) and continue to flog SOO. There is nothing new that the code is doing, let it remain a Sydney focused code.

Colk

First Grade

Will we? Ten/Paramount might throw money but again this goes down to two things:

1. We don’t have a national presence. Posters on here can tell you different but it is a big thing
2. Nine have undersold us for how long. They talk the game down at every opportunity they get. That has a run on effect. If Nine aren’t willing to throw heaps of money at us than Ten won’t have to. I really think it is time (it could/should have been) to create our own content. If media aren’t willing to value our game properly then you need to create competitive tension in some other way.

colly

Juniors
I believe that no public facing company like afl or nrl is going to release a statement on a deal of such magnitude and importance that is a lie.
What you are suggesting is incredibly unlikely.
im staggerd and in somewhat disbelief at the deal they have done comparing it to ours but that doesn’t make it untrue.

you seem in a place of denial which I understand given your posts on this topic.
We will wait for the Seven West Network statement to the ASX, if you don't mind, by the way Seven have not announced the amount they paid yearly for the contract and to say lumback said that they ( Seven) were lying is in itself a lie. But you will spin it anyway.. I have read the AFl statement and if the broadcaster ( only) get over $520m which you raving about, I say you win... See see what he broadcasters pay

Last edited:

Latest posts